The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

They nerfed the rollers and blasters. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

The rollers sort of needed to be nerfed, because a well positioned roller on some of the maps would completely dominate the flow of things and it is difficult to stop them. Essentially a roller could sit high up and just flick their roller to send a huge mess of paint down. A charger could take them out, but pretty much no one else could stop them. They could just camp in one area and literally wreck an entire game. Not on every map, but any map where there is a central height difference.

The blasters... I personally don't think they needed to be nerfed. I tend to use the lunablaster and I'm worried that taking away the damage from it will take all the bite out of it and make it ineffective. The luna blasters was great, because you  can hide in ink, pop out and get some one hit kill. It was a different strategy, but one that could be overcome. It wasn't overpowered, it was probably just frustrating for somebody proceeding without caution. I never saw it as unfair, but I did routinely play rounds where I racked up 20 or so kills and only died twice.

I think what will change is that blasters and rollers will sort of be downplayed and shooters will start to rise again. When you get up to the higher ranks, there is nobody really playing with shooters that much. Sometimes I'm worried when I've got a shooter on my team because I think they'll probably be useless. They work well in turf war, where the goal is to lay as much ink down as possible, but in the other modes they are somewhat useless depending on their sub and specials.

I got Mario Maker! It's quite a bit of fun. Only played around a bit and made one level using the default blocks, but I spent nearly an hour doing it and it was all sorts of fun. 9C15-0000-00B0-8750 if anyone fancies trying it.

Edited by TKzo Amore
  • Like 2

I got Mario Maker! It's quite a bit of fun. Only played around a bit and made one level using the default blocks, but I spent nearly an hour doing it and it was all sorts of fun. 9C15-0000-00B0-8750 if anyone fancies trying it.

Nice level. Ive done a few myself.

561A-0000-00B2-6F5D Is my latest.

Edited by Fry_4000

BLIND JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPS *shakes fist*

I'm the first one to beat it, hell yeah.

• Like 1

I thought those were okay at first, because I quite like the "die, learn, repeat" stuff that a lot of people have done.

But I may have changed my mind after playing Fry's level... because holy shit there's a blind jump that I just cannot get past.

How long does it take to unlock extra bits and other areas?

Blind jumps are the worst. Mario Maker is a really fun game to watch people stream or on YouTube, but it gets less fun the more it goes on because it's basically "here's an hour of the stream wasted learning this level, fuck it, I'm going to skip it". I kind of liked it at first because it reminded me of games like Unfair Mario, but now whenever I'm watching someone stream Mario Maker my first instinct is to be like "no, please, no, don't play this level full of awful, just skip it". But then you get another level that's exactly the same so it's pointless. 

Once I've got some more stuff unlocked I'm excited to try and make some actually like, fun regular levels? It's a real bummer having cool ideas but not having any of the tools yet.

Beat your level Fry! That was a lot of fun once I figured out that last drop onto a Koopa zone. I'll play some of the other levels posted in the topic a bit later too. Man, this game is great. 

• Like 1

Once I've got some more stuff unlocked I'm excited to try and make some actually like, fun regular levels? It's a real bummer having cool ideas but not having any of the tools yet.

Beat your level Fry! That was a lot of fun once I figured out that last drop onto a Koopa zone. I'll play some of the other levels posted in the topic a bit later too. Man, this game is great. 

there are ledges so you dont have to blind jump. Also beaten all of Sousa's levels :)

Unlocking stuff quickly is really easy actually. Lay down one of each type of tile, then just scribble all over the board with something. New tiles unlock early when you place something like 5,000 blocks and also put down one of each new type.

Also Fry's level is pretty excellent too.

Got everything unlocked now! Started making Super Mario World levels and so on. Tried to make one that's fair, fun and still a little challenging.

Bring Our Yoshi Home - 8FC8-0000-00B5-3EC2

Aaand one more level... 7EC9-0000-00B7-8B40

Edited by TKzo Amore

Mario Maker continues to tempt me like an ass.

On November 4, when the patch goes live for Nintendo’s wonderful new level creator, you’ll be able to add checkpoint flags to your level (by shaking the arrow sign in the editor). You’ll also be able to “attach” power-ups to make them contingent upon Mario’s current state—so if you smack a mushroom on a fire flower and put them together in a box, Mario will get the mushroom if he’s small and the fire flower if he’s big.

Mario Maker’s also going to start getting special courses thanks to a new “Event Courses” hub. Says Nintendo:

The software update also introduces Event Courses in the game’s Course World online hub. Event Courses will feature levels from partner creators outside Nintendo. One of the first Event Courses will be “Ship Love,” the winning level from the “hackathon” event that was held at Facebook’s headquarters in Menlo Park earlier this year. Facebook is the first outside partner in the United States to design a level for Super Mario Maker; employees had the opportunity to design and present their creations to a panel of judges before the winning level was selected.

They’ll also be adding a section called “Official Makers” that will allow them to send out levels made by Nintendo designers among other VIPs.

• Like 3