The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

47 minutes ago, Sousa said:

1. They're all step-siblings as it turns out, which you can't find out except through supports (I looked it up).

2. I try my best to create a front. Whenever possible, hang out just on the edge of the threatened territory with a weapon advantage character and let the enemies feed into you, which both protects your healers and helps you keep an advantage (and gives your healers something to do--healing the person just attacked). Your Butler/Maid unit in this game is actually a healer who can defend him/herself, but they're both second-tier recruits--they're in the Frederick role of an early promoted unit better than everyone else. I'm of the opinion that this means you should use them sparingly, but on higher difficulties you might need them.

I really like the way the Butler/Maid unit serves as the Frederick clone in this way--they both have range and healing power, so they're actually meant to support and thus won't dominate the battle. Unlike Frederick, neither are tanky, so you can have them hang back and support so your low-tier recruit actually gets the kill. I just had Azura of all people finish off a beefy Cavalier boss just because I had Jakob on support.

Pretty sure I'm going to marry Jakob and Azura now AUGH GOD DAMN IT FIRE EMBLEM YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ME AGAIN.

..wait, the Maid is the Frederick role? Dammit, I've been using her front line. Damn .

Also, I think I fucked up. Azure, who fell in the free DLC battle, doesn't seem to be available for me to use in battle (I just did the first battle of Chapter 7). Shit, I wanted to marry her to my avatar or the sibling that was distrustful of her :/

Yeah, 3DS is annoying for holding it's value, as with most Nintendo stuff. Most of your more marquee titles are gonna be upwards of £25-30+, like your Marios, Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem etc etc but if you keep an eye out on various online retailers, they do drop to around £20 from time to time. The Game Collection in particular is pretty good for that. Selects Range is a good shout and those turn up closer to a tenner. CD Keys is worth keeping an eye on too as they'll sometimes have stuff somewhat cheap, I got NSMB2 off there for like £15 and you're looking double that for a boxed copy. Obviously it's a download though so no re-sale potential and it's a fairly limited range they have, usually that and MK7 but you have that already. eShop as well will have the occasional cheap download, Shin Megami Tensei 4 is pretty much on sale every other week at this point.

Or you could always pick up Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, the poor man's Fire Emblem, for like £4-5. :shifty:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sousa said:

Yeah, Butler/Maid is a second-tier class. The game sets you up to think Gunter is going to play the Frrederick role but he's gone PDQ in Birthright.

I thought he was going to be! THat's why I forced him to not take any XP.

Still sad I lost Azure. But I got Mozu who is a villager, who I imagine turns out super strong. Almost got her to level 10.

Right now I have the avatar and Sakura leveled up using the master seal (that way Sakura can defend herself)

Mozu is the Donnel of the game but Aptitude (which is what broke Donny wide open) got nerfed and only adds 10% to the chance of gaining a point instead of 20%. Villager seems to have better stats and an actual second tier this time, though, so maybe it's actually worth it.

I've got my first couples to S level already (Jakob/Azura and Hayato/Orochi). No idea if the kid chapters are difficult but the explanation for getting them is hilarious. Since Fates doesn't have a wacky time travel story like Awakening did, the explanation is just "we put our babies in an alternate dimension to keep them safe and then they grew up via magic LOLWHOOPS."

Yeah, the female/female S rank is Hayato's daughter, which is why I was quick to pair him up. Kids are tied to the father this time except your avatar and maybe a few other people, like Azura always has a son (so Azura's son and Jakob's son will be brothers in my game).

On 2/22/2016 at 20:28, Sousa said:

Yeah, the female/female S rank is Hayato's daughter, which is why I was quick to pair him up. Kids are tied to the father this time except your avatar and maybe a few other people, like Azura always has a son (so Azura's son and Jakob's son will be brothers in my game).

............fuck. He may have gone and got himself killed.

Also, I thought I was gonna pair up the Avatar with Setsuna, now I'm thinking Oboro.

Something I've been doing a little different from Awakening: Not pairing people up. It's good for getting more attacks out, but sucks for getting supports up. Thinking of ditching that tactic.

I'm using Pair Up MUCH less this time around since it works differently (and since Galeforce is DLC-only now and has been nerfed a bit).

Also, I forgot how slow second-tier leveling is. I'm trying to get Hayato and Orochi high up in the second tier so they can learn good skills to pass on, but it's going to take a while. Hayato is learning Rend Heaven from Basara and Orochi is learning Replicate from Mechanist. Replicate sounds ridiculous and seems to have incredible abuse potential.

Mechanists also ride around on a puppet fu dog looking thing if you're not sold on them yet. :shifty:

By the looks of things, you get two seals to enter the Dark Falcon class (used to be Dark Flier) per file as long as you buy all three paths, which I'm planning on doing. If you're planning on getting all three anyway, it's not that bad a deal.

Could you explain some of the new features Sousa?

What's this different with Pair Up? Isn't there another option when you put two people together now as well?

And is there some kind of thing about using one character too much? Sometimes after I attack my people get a negative arrow.

23 minutes ago, apsham said:

Could you explain some of the new features Sousa?

What's this different with Pair Up? Isn't there another option when you put two people together now as well?

And is there some kind of thing about using one character too much? Sometimes after I attack my people get a negative arrow.

Certain attacks (I've noticed it mostly with shuriken) can cause someone to have a negative to a stat for one around. 

The second person no longer attacks with Pair Up (which is called Guard Stance now). Dual Strikes aren't random like they were in Awakening. If you're standing next to somebody on your team (except, I think, green allies?), then they attack with you automatically. Guard Stance protects the second person but you won't get a second attack from them, and there's a defensive bonus that makes the first person more likely to block attacks. Fire Emblem Wiki says there's a gauge with it, but I've done almost no Guard Stance other than my usual trick to move slightly faster (pair units up, second one runs forward, disband the pair with the second unit going slightly ahead of the first).

The negative arrows are statuses, similar to poison and such. Shurikens have a chance of lowering stats when used, so ideally what you want to do is attack with someone like a Ninja or a Mechanist first, then have your heavy hitters move in. It rewards you for playing skirmisher-type units like actual skirmishers. I actually like the way combat plays out a lot better than Awakening. Not sure if I'm sold on the way classing works now, though, but I loved, for example, taking a bunch of Myrmidon skills that Owain gets into a class that better uses his magic in Awakening, so that's me. I liked grinding out big piles of skills.

ahahahahaha I just got to the scene in Birthright where you run into Camilla (purple-haired woman from Nohr) again and there's this animated cutscene that's basically LOOK AT HER BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS and it's hilarious.

• Like 1

A few times now I've fed Lilith and she hasn't gained any stats :/

Edit: Almost every time I feed Lilith now this happens! GET MORE STATS

Also, why can't I inherit skills when I defeat an enemy in their own castle? Or is that for children?