The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

You'd probably get by fine with a 2DS/3DS/XL. At a base level you'd be missing out on the benefits of revised hardware; better battery, slightly larger screen etc but a lot of the 'New' is bells and whistles you might be able to live without, like the c-stick, built in Amiibo support, better 3D tracking and SNES games on the e-shop.

Some of that you can get around on the older models with accessories (Circle Pad Pro for the c-stick and NFC reader for Amiibos) but there's not too many games that use either. 3D, for the fact that's kind of the selling point of the system, you might find yourself never using it. SNES games are only availible on the New model but the older ones still have other stuff on the e-shop if you want to buy them, like NES, Gameboy etc.

You could possibly make an argument that you'd be 'future proofing' yourself for any new realeases that come out and any exclusive games that only work on the 'New' system. Like, there's a few games that run better on the New system, Hyrule Warriors is one that's often cited as running quite badly on the old hardware, and there's a couple like Xenoblade Chronicles that doesn't work at all on the older models. I wouldn't imagine it'll be much of a problem though, DSi barely had any exclusive games and I can't see them letting stuff like the new Pokemon come out gimped on the old hardware when that's such a big market.

I like the idea of being able to play SNES games on it so I think I'll wait till this weeks pay and pick up the new one. What games should I look into? I'm a fan of JRPG's mostly but I'm open to other suggestions. Never been a huge Pokemon person but I'll probbaly pick up some of the older games for the RPG aspect and it seems like something I could get into.

I have a N3DS, and for the most part its pretty good, I don't have a 3DS to compare but the performance is great, only issue I had was some lag on one of the SMW special levels but thats more to do with a lot of stuff going on. If you like the SNES option just remember its still early days and there isnt a load of titles but you do have SMW, Earthbound, Metroid, Link to the Past and all three Donkey Kong Country games plus there are some good titles on the eShop and they have some occasionally good sales.

I don't know much on it but if you are interested in something simalar to Pokemon in concept you might want to take a look at Yo-kai Watch.

So I've decided to get the new 3DS along with Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy IV. I've played both a long time ago but was never in a position where I could actually beat them. I thought about getting some newer games but honestly, I can afford these games much easier than I can PS4 games so I could really get a new game a week if I wanted, which means there is plenty of time for Bravely Default and Fire Emblem.

Games included: 

• Balloon Fight
  • BUBBLE BOBBLE
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr. 
  • DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • FINAL FANTASY®
  • Galaga
  • GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
  • GRADIUS
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros. 
  • MEGA MAN® 2
  • Metroid
  • NINJA GAIDEN
  • PAC-MAN
  • Punch-Out!!  Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • SUPER C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.  2
  • Super Mario Bros.  3
  • TECMO BOWL
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

• Like 1

I'll be getting this simply because of how expensive it would be to obtain all of those games for the NES that I already have... but what I'm most interested in, is whether or not it will be able to play NES cartridges for games not included in the bundle.

Nintendo is doing all kinds of amazing things right now, and I'm very happy that the Wii and Wii-U didn't kill my love for the brand entirely.

I would be interested in an SNES version of this. Also, it says it comes packed with one NES controller, but some of these games have two player options. Would they be selling other controllers as well? 

9 minutes ago, RPS said:

I would be interested in an SNES version of this. Also, it says it comes packed with one NES controller, but some of these games have two player options. Would they be selling other controllers as well? 

The machine is retailing for $60 American, and there has been additional controllers announced at $10 American per piece.

The most interesting thing with this for me, is that someone had previously brought up with me that the NX could be a console that can be attached to, and that attachments could allow for "better backward compatibility"... and now this is announced. Could the NES Mini be the first in a line of Nintendo re-releases that can be attached to your NX console to allow it to play the games from classic systems?

Maybe. If that is the case, the NES mini-console is the least appetizing for me.  

I am going to assume that if they do any more releases, they'll only be releasing Nintendo developed games. It seems weird to sell a mini-NES with games already built in, but to limit it too like 30 games or so. I think there were more NES games featured in NES Remix than there would be on this mini-NES. 

That thing is adorable. When I saw the controller port I thought maybe they were recycling the classic controller from the Wii as it looks to be the same shape but nope, proper little NES controller and everything. Pretty cool that they've gone out to get other big games from the system, not just keep it first party which they could have easily done. No Castlevania III though?! Will definitely consider picking this up if the price is right.

12 minutes ago, Velociraptor King Ellis said:

That thing is adorable. When I saw the controller port I thought maybe they were recycling the classic controller from the Wii as it looks to be the same shape but nope, proper little NES controller and everything. Pretty cool that they've gone out to get other big games from the system, not just keep it first party which they could have easily done. No Castlevania III though?! Will definitely consider picking this up if the price is right.

According to the Eurogamer article on it the controller is compatable with the Wii/Wii U so you could use the Wii classic controllers or you could use this new NES controller for the Wii/Wii U Virtual Console.