The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I actually don't see how this is a gimmick at all. It is, at the end of the day, it is a really advanced handheld console that can also play on your TV screen. That isn't really a gimmick in the same way as the WiiU, which was basically a tablet that you needed to have close to your TV screen, or the 3DS, which was about 3D technology. It is just taking the two different consoles Nintendo puts out - home and portable consoles - and merging them. 

I am skeptical because I want to know what the battery life is, price point, and what kind of power this thing has. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2016 at 01:13, Little Red Srarvette said:

I want to play Nintendo games but I don't want these garbage gimmicky systems. Give me Mario or Zelda on a normal console!

Emulate them. I can get N64 games to run on a crappy laptop.

3 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Oh that might work. I just really suck trying to use a keyboard to play stuff

The two that seem to be recommended are the Blaze Tab and JXD S7800b, they can run anything upto PS1, N64 and Dreamcast, although with the last two there can be issues with emulation, they are around the £100 to £120 price range. I can't recommend from experience. at the moment I am torn between the two or getting a Wii U.

2 hours ago, RPS said:

I am skeptical because I want to know what the battery life is, price point, and what kind of power this thing has. 

That's a big factor for me too, particularly in terms of battery life. I suspect that some of these details won't be known until the system is released, at which point any glaring issues should become apparent from anecdotal evidence. If this thing needs to be charged every three hours, that's a big problem, and one that could put me off buying one until a future hardware revision.

Price, obviously, is a key area of focus too. The 3DS was £230 in the UK on release, and that was a hefty cost for a device that had such a bare initial library of games. Anything over that would be too much for me, especially with what would presumably be a shallow line-up of games to begin with.

2 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I need to use a controller

I use my xbox controller. It seems a bit fiddly to begin with but it works really well. You could use a PS controller as well, but I think the xbox controllers are easier to set up. OR you can get a USB NES/SNES/64 controller, Keef has a 64 one.

11 minutes ago, MDK said:

I use my xbox controller. It seems a bit fiddly to begin with but it works really well. You could use a PS controller as well, but I think the xbox controllers are easier to set up. OR you can get a USB NES/SNES/64 controller, Keef has a 64 one.

Wow really? SNES was my first system. I would love to get a SNES style controller and play Super Mario World and A Link to the Past again.

3 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

Wow really? SNES was my first system. I would love to get a SNES style controller and play Super Mario World and A Link to the Past again.

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Super-Nintendo-Controller-Windows-Purple/dp/B016K08OHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1469723585&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+snes+controller

While we're pimping this stuff I want to recommend this to anyone looking for a quality SNES controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Classic-Joystick/dp/B014QP2H1E

It's a bit more but man is it ever amazing. A lot of the other controllers don't have the weight that a standard SNES controller had - because parts are simpler and it was mostly empty plastic. These are built with authentic materials and it feels so fucking good. It's bluetooth so it'll work on phones/tablets/computers and can be plugged in to work as USB as well. I got mine at EB Games so you can likely find them there, at Gamestops and Best Buys, etc.

Edited by apsham

• 2 weeks later...

North America is getting some new Nintendo Selects titles on August 26

Wii U
- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Lego City Undercover
- Nintendo Land

3DS
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
- Nintendogs + Cats
- Tomodachi Life

• 3 weeks later...

Well along with Mario Maker it looks like I'll be picking up the Pikmin and Mario Sports Superstars 3DS games when they come out, only downside is it sounds like the 3DS Mario Maker wont allow you to upload levels only through local which kinda sucks, although they do say most Wii U levels will be, only the mystery mushroom will be Wii U exclusive so any levels with that wont be for the 3DS.

A really nice collection of all the news from yesterday from reddit.

Pokemon Sun and Moon: Alolan Ratata is a dark type. Launch bonus is a munchlax that can evolve to use a special Z-move. Launching November 18th.

Super Mario Maker 3DS: 100 original courses with medal challenges. Plays almost all Wii U courses, and can share levels via streetpass and local wireless. Launching December 2nd.

Mario Party Star Rush: Seven modes, will have a party guest edition that lets you play with a full retail copy with no limitations. Launching November 4th.

Animal Crossing New Leaf: New update is releasing, along with more AC Amiibo cards, featuring mobile home villagers. There will be a 'welcome amiibo' package releasing later that comes with a free bonus card. AC Mini-direct this fall!

Mii Plaza: New 'Quick Plaza' will let you get through quickly. Premium plaza can now get 100 players at a time! 5 new games (Slot Car Rivals, Market Crashers, Feed MIi, Mii Trek, and Ninja Launcher). Get Slotcar or Market Crashers free, and the other four in a discounted bundle. Available after direct.

Tank Troopers: A new title! 3rd person tank action game, every trooper has a special ability, download play enabled. Launches this winter.

Picross 3D, Round 2: Multi-colored puzzles, amiibo compatible. Demo available soon, full game available today!

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Third DLC pack is Toon Link with Sand Wand, Toon Zelda, and a new adventure map. Availible today!

Dragon Quest VII: Streetpass and online download features. Preorder to get a free theme. Launches September 16th.

Dragon Quest VIII: Releasing 2017.

Yokai Watch 2: Discussion of exclusives. You can now trade! Game comes with a bonus physical medal that gets you a bonus move. Launches September 30th.

Disney's Magical World 2: Pre Ordering gets you in-game outfits based on Frozen. Launches October 14th.

Disney Themes: Will be coming to America! They're already out in Japan.

Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice: First print comes with a 3 episode Sonic Boom DVD. Launches September 27th.

SMT4: Apocalypse: Can be enjoyed as a standalone. First lunch comes with a physical three medal set. Launches September 20th.

Yoshi's Wooly World 3DS: New title for 2017! Every stage from the Wii U version, plus new poochy stages. Poochy pups will show you secrets. Game comes with 30 shorts by Dwarf Studios. Yarn amiibo poochy, along with a bundle option. Launches February 3rd, 2017.

Ever Oasis: Brief look at the item request system. Launches 2017.

Mario Sports Superstars: Five full sized sports: Soccer, Baseball, Tennis, Golf, and Horse Racing. Local and online multiplayer. Launches Spring 2017.

Pikmin (Name not final): Side scrolling, action-focused Pikmin. All pikmin retain their signature abilities. Launches 2017.

Non-NA News:

Miitopia: Japan is getting a game called Miitopia. That's about all we know. Out later this year.

Monster Hunter Stories x Zelda: A collaboration was announced for Japan!

Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Announced for... 2017 in Japan!

New 2DS Colors: For Japan only, later this month.

Pokemon 2DS Bundles: Baby Blue versions for Europe.