The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

The N64 launched with 2 games, so a pretty standard and frustrating Nintendo move.

I want to get this thing because I think the gimmick is the future of console gaming, but I'm not sold yet. Nintendo has to, has to, has to, has to, has to start making real games besides Zelda and the occasional Mario. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, zero said:

I want to get this thing because I think the gimmick is the future of console gaming, but I'm not sold yet. Nintendo has to, has to, has to, has to, has to start making real games besides Zelda and the occasional Mario. 

Did you try Splatoon out on WiiU? I can't recall if you picked up a WiiU because you've been gone for a while (btw, hi Zero! :wub:). The original sold pretty well despite being on the WiiU (5 million units I think) and it was given lots of free updates (maps, outfits, game modes and guns) for a while after it came out. That was the one game that gave me pause to think I may want to pick it up earlier rather than later, because I tried the original on the WiiU and it was my game of choice for a year. 

My issue with buying a Switch for Splatoon is that I'm hooked on Overwatch at the moment and I don't know if by summer I'm going to be willingly to give up on it. And I would be using the Switch a lot for commuting and long distance travels, where I wouldn't have access to wifi. So the the time I would use the Switch the most, I wouldn't necessarily be able to play Splatoon. 

So, besides Zelda and 1-2 Switch, Nintendo has confirmed that Super Bomberman R, Skylanders Imaginators and Just Dance 2017 will be available at launch. When looked at in a bubble, that's a fairly nice variety of potential audience types covered, but it's hard to see the Skylanders and Just Dance audience picking up the console straight away when those games will be available elsewhere, and, as much as I enjoy Bomberman, it's not a system seller. Zelda's coming out on the Wii U, and I really think that 1-2 Switch looks more like a tech demo than anything else. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it looks more ideal as a pack-in title than a full-priced retail release.

That all sounds negative, but I have no doubt that, as always there'll be several great games on the system by the time it's run its course. What worries me, however, is that, at a time in which the Xbox One and PS4 sold very well straight from the get-go, and in which the Wii U's slow start more or less killed off the prospect of significant long-term third party support, another stuttering start could see a repeat performance. I'd like this thing to be successful, but, right now, I'm less optimistic than I was 24 hours ago.

I still play Splatoon a lot on Wii U (hope they won't be closing servers or anything anytime soon), i was waiting to see if 2 would be a launch title. Now that i know it won't come out until summer and i can still get the new Zelda for the Wii U, probably won't be thinking about getting Switch before Splatoon is about to be released, there doesn't seem to be all that much before it that i'd enjoy. Also paying for online sucks, that's what i've liked about Wii U over other consoles.

Edited by The Sandman

Yeah, I don't really trust Nintendo enough at all to pay for their online, particularly when their version of Games With Gold/PS+ is a one-month rental of an NES or SNES (with online play enabled) game, which is godawful.

11 minutes ago, New Year New Srar! said:

You guys think Nintendo will do free games like the other 2 now that they are charging for online?

They will, but old virtual console games and only for a month. 

It's really bad. Initially because of a misleading tweet I thought it was "you get a download credit for an NES or SNES game of your choice, and the SNES games have online play" and I got excited about it, only to have that excitement dwindle with every subsequent update.

EDIT: But who needs a non-garbage version of GWG when you can have MILK

Is it confirmed that it's only for a month for the games? Because that seemed like a hunch based off wording that I didn't read the same way that exploded on reddit and was being provided as fact.

The bit on the website states that you can download the game free for a month - which makes me think of the way Microsoft/Sony do it, you can only get those games free during that time period. Cool that SNES titles will get online play.

Edited by apsham

Is the SNES online stuff limited to the capabilities of the initial game or can more people play? Like, Super Mario Kart was just two players originally so are you limited to just that or could you do an 8 person championship?

• 4 weeks later...