The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm not watching, but the confirmation of a million different controller types means that I am probably not buying a Switch. Unless of course, I can get a regular type controller that allows me to play any of the games on the console. If that's not an option, I'm out.

2 minutes ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Mario looks so so so fun! When it comes to the rest I wish I could *snaps fingers* Switch to something more interesting.

And wow the Suda translator is either really bad at this or nervous

I thought it was more that Suda wasn't prepared and kept repeating himself but changing bits or something which threw the translator off. Because he seems on point for everything else, although I guess that is all scripted so would be much easier. 

I want a console Pokemon game. Like normal Pokemon but with console level graphics, it would take something like that for me to consider it I think. I only used my Wii U for like 6 hours.

Oh look it's the Zelda game I bought the Wii U for :/

That Zelda game looks amazing.

So the Switch is the WiiU but buffed and you can take it out. That third party support does not inspire hope. 

Not sure what to make of that. The machine seems nice, and playing some of these games on a handheld device appeals to me. Unless we get more announcements soon, though, the launch lineup looks exceedingly slim. I suppose they might be pushing all the spotlight on Zelda, which, to be fair, looks more exciting to me than any other game in the series.

22 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I'm not watching, but the confirmation of a million different controller types means that I am probably not buying a Switch. Unless of course, I can get a regular type controller that allows me to play any of the games on the console. If that's not an option, I'm out.

That's an option:

Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_11.24.20_AM.0.

• Like 1

I'm not rushing to buy it at launch but I'll probably but it in the first year depending on how it travels. Battery life is 2-6 hours which is what I was worried about.

6 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

That's an option:

Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_11.24.20_AM.0.

They had a pro controller for the Wii U, but you couldn't use it for every game. That's what I'm sick of. Like I just want one control option that does everything so I could buy 2 or 3 of them rather than the previous thing of 3 wiimotes/3 nunchucks/this game is much better with a pro controller/this one is better with a GC controller etc. It just did my head in. Especially since it felt like an advantage in some games to use a proper controller rather then a wiimote/nunchuck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quom said:

They had a pro controller for the Wii U, but you couldn't use it for every game. That's what I'm sick of. Like I just want one control option that does everything so I could buy 2 or 3 of them rather than the previous thing of 3 wiimotes/3 nunchucks/this game is much better with a pro controller/this one is better with a GC controller etc. It just did my head in. Especially since it felt like an advantage in some games to use a proper controller rather then a wiimote/nunchuck.

This is exactly my issue. They have regular styled controllers, but they don't work on every game. If the controllers were less expensive, it would be less of an issue, but it's still a pain in the ass to have to switch to a different controller. I'm tired of having boxes of accessories that I may only use on one or two games.

Hopefully Nintendo sees that there is a market for their retro shit and keeps pumping out stuff like the NES Classic. I want to enjoy Nintendo, but I just can't get on board with what they're doing. It isn't consumer friendly or developer friendly. I'm calling it now-- third part support for the Nintendo Switch will die out just like it did for the Wii and Wii-U before it.

I agree that it was a disappointing stream. That said - it is a jacked up portable console. I take long commutes every day and while I adore my 3DS, I would be looking to upgrade this year if the Switch has great first party support. Also, I have a niece and nephew who LOVE playing Nintendo games with me. They love the Wii and the Wii U. If could bring this to play with them and it is super easy... that is amazing. On a personal level, this is a great console. However, I have never been a firm believer in the "Nintendo will get out of the hardware business", but that stream and the lack of third party support was pretty bad. They said there was 80 games in development from third party developers - but your console is coming out in a month and a half. What are those games? Are they going to be available for launch? How far along in development are they? Will they be canceled if the Switch sales are not great? 

13 minutes ago, RPS said:

I agree that it was a disappointing stream. That said - it is a jacked up portable console. I take long commutes every day and while I adore my 3DS, I would be looking to upgrade this year if the Switch has great first party support. Also, I have a niece and nephew who LOVE playing Nintendo games with me. They love the Wii and the Wii U. If could bring this to play with them and it is super easy... that is amazing. On a personal level, this is a great console. However, I have never been a firm believer in the "Nintendo will get out of the hardware business", but that stream and the lack of third party support was pretty bad. They said there was 80 games in development from third party developers - but your console is coming out in a month and a half. What are those games? Are they going to be available for launch? How far along in development are they? Will they be canceled if the Switch sales are not great? 

Your situation is very similar to my situation, in that I do a lot of travelling at the moment too - and play my 3DS a ton as a result. And this is a more common situation for many people, especially in Japan where commuters are all just on phone games.

And that's what gets me about the stream. This actually should be a bit of a no-brainer for Nintendo, this should be an easy win - everyone WANTS this to be a big thing. Finding and buying good mobile experiences is STILL a pain in the arse, but the market has still managed to move that way considerably. Make an accessible console with good games on it that people can play anywhere, and it'll do gangbusters. 

But Nintendo seems hell bent on having paper thin launches over the past few years. The 3DS was bad, the New 3ds was and is still appaling, the Wii U was bad and now it looks like the Switch will follow suit. The 3DS managed to recover because of great third party development and the ever-amazing DS library. WiiU doesn't really have that library and so far it doesn't look like there is the third party support either. 

Couple that with the decision to have a paid network when their online record is checkered at best and to basically charge the price of a 3DS for a replacement controller set and man. I know it's early days and we're kinda in the zeitgeist of it right now, but it just seems like the Wii U all over again. Maybe it'll still do well, and BOY do I hope it does, because this is exactly what I want from a console. 

P.S - that Zelda trailer is obscenely good.

3DS is something that I am essentially done with at this point - the UI is old news, the hardware is old news and even if it's just mildly better I am all for a better display at this point. If the same kind of games start to move over to Switch it'll be the perfect machine for me in all honesty. The Dragon Quests going onto it are a good sign for me.