The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Anyone else grab Monster Hunter Generations?

I had a busy weekend so I wasn't able to get on it yet all that much, but the addition of styles is so nice - and I at least did a couple of training missions with the aerial style and I've got to say that I am really into the idea. In 4 I used that.. god it's been a while now, but it was the weapon that allowed you to essentially pole vault onto the monster and go for easier mounts.. and now with the aerial style every weapon can do that, making the game faster and more engaging.

On 7/15/2016 at 15:17, TheWho87 said:

I'll stop you on the N64 emulators, unless you want to only play Super Mario 64, its very hit and miss in regards to emulators and ROMs, some ROMs work for some emulators and not others and others don't even work at all, Blast Corps is one of those titles you can rarely run on an emulator..

I've only had problems with playing Virtual Pro Wrestling on an emulator, all the other games I've tried have worked perfectly 

So I just picked up a 2DS relatively cheaply. I've never owned a Nintendo console or any form of DS. The only game I was planning to pick up was one of the original Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Recommend me some games EWB!

Here' some of my favorites and the reason that I like them. Games in the same series I'll put together.

Fire Emblem Awakening & Fire Emblem Fates: They're strategy RPG games that you may know a bit about just from how much it's talked about here. The series used to be pretty hardcore but with Awakening it became a bit more open for just about anyone. They play and look great and you can really customize how much you get in/take out. Initially I watched all the battle animations for instance, but once I knew the game I could make the battles go super fast by turning those off so I could play whenever I wanted for as long as I needed to.

Fantasy Life: A great time waster that I've been putting a lot of time into recently. Essentially there's an overarching story that you can follow - but the way that you are meant to get everything is by doing it yourself. Everyone chooses a 'Life' in the kingdom that your character lives in whether it be Miner, Paladin, Carpenter, Fisherman, Blacksmith and a bunch of others. Doing tasks levels up those lives and gives you access to better materials/craftable items - I started out as a miner, levelled that up to get a bunch of great ores and then became a blacksmith so I could make some of the top tier armor without having to buy any materials myself.

Rune Factory 4: It's essentially Harvest Moon with combat and exploration which is pretty awesome. The game works at your own pace which isn't the way these games have always been - and it's a great addition to just about any 3DS library I think. If you're looking for a more straight forward kind of 'farming only' Harvest Moon game I would stay away from the named ones as the team that originally made them now does the Story of Seasons games.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: A great old school styled Zelda game that follows on from A Link To The Past from the SNES. I can't recommend it enough and I really need to go back through it again as soon as I'm done with ALTTP again.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call: A rhythm game using music from all of the Final Fantasy games and some other Square/Enix games if you venture into the DLC. You level up characters from all of the games and play through different styles of battles.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is a game that you'll see go on sale a lot - most of Atlus published games do, but it's a great RPG where you recruit monsters to fight on your team - mostly all of them based on or just straight up demons from different cultures around the world. You do so by negotiating with them which is a neat little system, and there are a bunch of games on the system that play off the idea a bit - IV is the only main series game but the others are worth looking into as well as they often go on sale for under 20 dollars as well.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon is pretty awesome and contains an appearance from all the Pokemon to date before Moon/Sun I do believe. It's in the Mystery Dungeon series which is essentially a rouge-like where you go through different floors using simple turn based 1 for 1 movement combat, playing as a Pokemon.

Monster Hunter Generations might not be the very best for a 2DS but it's still an option. I love the games and this newest one is pretty easy to get into - although still would probably require a bit of reserach considering the different, new playstyles and everything that you can do in the game.

Bravely Default & Bravely Second: End Layer are excellent Final Fantasy styled RPGs with great job systems and hours to put in. Speaking of which there are also two Dragon Quest games coming out soon - one new and the other a remaster of the PS2 game.

That's mostly what I can think of off the top of my head and I left out some obvious ones like the Mario games since you'll pretty much already know if you're into that stuff already. There's a wealth of GB/GBA/NES and other virtual console games to look into as well for cheapsies.

Edited by apsham

I would point you in the direction of two posts I have made previously on this (Numero uno and numero dos), and the posts surrounding too where other people chip in. Might be worth @Big Forky Cool having a looksie as well as I had intended to do the same when he was asking last week, and with RPG's there's a bunch more I don't even list there like the Etrian Oddysey series, Inavuma Eleven series, Orcs and Elves etc. Those lean pretty heavily towards regular DS games mind you. I don't seem to list the Mario 64 DS port in either of those but that is one worth looking at too once you factor in the 3DS circle pad.

I'm sure there was another post I made within the last few months as well where I pimp the Nintendo Select line because you can pick up a bunch of great stuff on 3DS for as little as £10-12 if you look around; Ocarina of Time, Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros, A Link Between Worlds etc etc. It's a big help since Nintendo stuff holds it's value so before, you'd be paying like £30-35 for that copy of OoT a few months back. I'll always pimp Game Collection as well as they'll often put stuff on sale for sub £20. Like, Bravely Second was £20 recently and the new Fire Emblems were maybe £22? I'm still waiting for the first Bravely Default to come down though...

As an aside, I am worried that I'm going a little OTT on the DS collecting recently. I just got American copies of Yoshi's Island, Super Princess Peach and Mario Party. Plus I have 999 on order. I need to lock my eBay account. :shifty:

Seeing this thread get new posts always reminds me that I impulse bought a 3DS back in April for Fire Emblem.  I should probably play that like...at all.

• Like 1

Eurogamer has an article in which it claims to have received information from several reputable sources about what the NX will be.

In short, it's apparently a machine that functions primarily as a handheld device, but it can be plugged into a television for standard console gameplay at home. While those details were already heavily rumoured, it is also claimed that the handheld gadget will have two controller segments on each side, and they can be detached in order to support two-player games at home.

It is also suggested that the machine will use an Nvidia Tegra processor, which would put it roughly alongside the Nvidia Shield in terms of power, or somewhere in the middle of the Wii U and the PS4/Xbox One.

If that's true, they've gone and made the same mistake as they did with the Wii U. Unique controls for no reason other than to be different to anything else, and not nearly as powerful as stuff that's already out, which will immediately turn off third party developers. They may as well just make handhelds at this point. 

1 hour ago, Cactus Drags said:

If that's true, they've gone and made the same mistake as they did with the Wii U. Unique controls for no reason other than to be different to anything else, and not nearly as powerful as stuff that's already out, which will immediately turn off third party developers. They may as well just make handhelds at this point. 

If the report is true, it looks as though it's going to be a handheld first and foremost, with the television connectivity being an extra feature. If that's the case, it's something of a reverse Wii U. I think they've given up trying to entice third party developers into putting multi-platform games on their systems, but they'll need some compelling alternatives to compensate. Just relying on the regular Nintendo line-up probably won't cut it, so they'll need a few dark horses in the vein of Professor Layton and Brain Training. I'm not sure how much faith people have in their ability to pull that off now, but it will be interesting to see things take shape.

• Like 1

If this is another gimmicky system, I'm not going to be jumping on board. I want a no nonsense console from Nintendo. You know, a box that plays the games, and a controller to play them with.

I want to play Zelda. Breath of the Wild looks amazing... but I'm not buying the mess that is the Wii-U, and I refuse to give them money for yet another gimmicky console if that's what the NX is. I may just get myself a 3DS cheap somewhere and call it a day for Nintendo. The eShop has a good amount of stuff from days passed. Or maybe I'll just bust out the NES and start collecting games for that... at least then Nintendo doesn't get any of my money.

• Like 1

Take this with a grain of salt since the Wii U is my favorite console of this generation, and I like it much more than the Wii, but I like that Nintendo is different. I don't need three systems that do almost the exact same thing with a half dozen exclusives each instead of two. I appreciate that they go in a different direction, and I hope this works out better than the Wii U did for them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pizza said:

Take this with a grain of salt since the Wii U is my favorite console of this generation, and I like it much more than the Wii, but I like that Nintendo is different. I don't need three systems that do almost the exact same thing with a half dozen exclusives each instead of two. I appreciate that they go in a different direction, and I hope this works out better than the Wii U did for them. 

The problem is that they jumped so quick to the NX instead of putting their marketing behind the Wii-U, and despite all that it sounds like just another Wii-U style gimmick. Hell it sounds like the Wii-U if we're being honest.