The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Hurray, the Wii sold like a bazillion units. The software library is still sorely lacking. Don't start spouting things like Mario or Zelda at me, because I don't care. There is far too much shovelware available for Nintendo consoles these days.

I'm not arguing that. There's a whole bunch of shite on the Wii. But I don't get this argument that Nintendo are trying to play "catch-up", as if they "lost" the last "console war", when they massively outsold their two competitors.

As far as third-party supports goes...yeah, the Wii sucked. If I were still as into gaming as I was five or six years ago, I'd probably be more pissed off about that. It's the Wii's biggest failing. But frankly, while there might be a load of shovelware shit for the Wii, there are some all-time classic games.

Mario Galaxy 2 is far and away the greatest 3D platformer ever made, Last Story is one of the best JRPGs I've played in years - arguably in my top three or four ever - and infinitely superior to the last few Final Fantasy games that I'd been stuck with had I opted to buy a 360 or PS3 instead, Xenoblade is an absolute epic, Pandora's Tower was flawed but a very interesting and unique RPG, Muramasa is one of the most gorgeous, fun and compelling old-school side-scrolling games I've played in a long, long time, and proof that you don't need high-end 3D graphics to make a jaw-droppingly beautiful game, Monster Hunter Tri is a life-consuming monster of an RPG....then there's Okami, Little King's Story, No More Heroes 2, Tatsonuko vs. Capcom, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros...throw in all the Mario, Kirby and Zelda games, and the few genuinely brilliant party and multiplayer games, and I just don't buy the idea that the Wii is lacking in quality games. It's just lacking in first person shooters.

And, yeah, the existence of shovelware doesn't somehow negate the existence of a plethora of great games. There's a huge mountain of shit available for PS3 and 360 too, but because most of them are just bad games rather than aimed at "casual gamers" and families, they don't get the scorn heaped on them that the Wii does. Every console ever has had a hefty shite to quality ratio. Hell, practically everything on the N64 was awful, and everybody seems to fondly look back on that console.

And to say that if people want "to play Call Of Duty and a hundred identical games" they'll buy a different console is absurd as well

That wasn't really the point I was making - more that there's only really one class of gamer that's going to see tech as the be-all and end-all.

• 2 weeks later...

You say kids, as in plural. The way I imagine they'll play the Wii U is them fighting over who gets to hold the nice fancy tablet game pad and who is stuck with the old, boring Wii remote. :shifty:

I wonder how hard it would be for third-party manufacturers like MadCatz to produce their own tablet controllers. There's always been a steady flow of cheaper, if perhaps a little less reliable, alternatives out there in the console accessory market, but I can imagine this kind of device being a real challenge to try to emulate adequately.

• 1 month later...

So gents, we're literally just a couple of days away from launch now. Anyone besides me picking one of these up on launch day?

My girlfriend's pre-ordered it, so I'll probably end up having a go on it a day or two after launch. I'm probably not going to pick it up myself til later on, though - I've still not even started Xenoblade.

The update is 5GB... it's gonna take a loooong time, depending on your connection. One of my coworkers got his this morning and has been playing it all day, Nintendoland is apparently brilliant, Black Ops is great on the console, and ZombiU is fantastic no matter what IGN says according to him. All I know is, mine's almost done updating and once it is I am going to play the shit out of some Nintendoland.

I've heard nothing but good things from the people who've gotten theirs up and running so far and honestly, just the initial setup leading into the update gave me good feelings. I am so freaking happy I was able to get this at launch :w00t:

Posting from the Game Pad. This internet browser is fantastic, absolutely in love with the console so far! :D