The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

In case you haven't noticed, there's a channel on the Wii called The Kirby TV Channel. It's free, and lets you watch a few episodes of the old Kirby cartoon, which ranges from god-awful to sublimely ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

I only just discovered that you can redeem Star Points from Virtual Console downloads. Good work.

Let's see if Nintendo can win me over a little after their recent failures.

Out of interest, what are Nintendo's "recent failures"?

That 3ds isnt going over well, the wiiU isnt winning people over and the stocks gone from 70 bucks to 17.

Got it in one.

I'd also add the fact that American Wii owners have had to start Operation Rainfall to convince Nintendo to release Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower and The Last Story over there. Denying consumers the most promising games released on the system in quite some time isn't a good way to build customer loyalty.

Ah, fair enough - I thought you meant failures in terms of games, as I don't really see the relative failure of the 3DS to catch on as being anything that would have any bearing on the quality of Xenosaga, and, personally, I think the WiiU looks fantastic.

I had no idea about the Operation Rainfall thing, though, that does kind of suck.

Yeah, WiiU's gotten a lukewarm response thus far. I think part of the problem might be that the market they've gone for just doesn't give a shit about keeping up with the latest tech, they just want something to keep the kids quiet without turning them into couch potatoes. Regular Wii does that just fine for them. 3DS is starting to pick up now though with the price drop, and come Christmas time with the support of all the bloody Mario games, it'll be flying out.

I think the problem with the WiiU is that from first glance, the new controller isn't appealing to the fans they're trying to lure in who play more games like Call of Duty and so on, because the amount of precision required to play those games to the best of your ability probably isn't going to come with the current layout. Not to mention they've already got their 360s and PS3's with a layout they're more comfortable with and graphics that're just as good.

Meanwhile, the regular fans aren't going to give much of a shit about the WiiU unless there's something more interesting that's going to bring them in than a new controller. I imagine this crowd will be won over by the release day games, assuming there's some good ones. I think the WiiU is probably going to live and die on the exclusives, because I just don't see people going from 360 to WiiU when most of the games they can get, they can already get for 360.

Zelda and Mario Kard to come out on the iPhone?

http://www.appspy.com/zelda-and-mario-kart-possibly-en-route-iphone-news

One should note that the combination of analysts and Apple often results in heeps of bullshit. And after all the sucksess with Wii and the other DS Systems i don´t see why they should break away from only selling on their own systems.

Xenoblade arrived at casa de caminos earlier today and I've had a chance to pay it for a couple of hours.

Thus far I'm enjoying the game immensely, it feels like a nice blend style-wise of both western and JRPGs.

You get XP for battles, quests and finding new places which makes exploration feel more worthwhile than similar games. The combat is well handled, you can see the enemies on the field and then choose to engage them in battle or just move around them in most cases, although some enemies will initiate battle with you.

Not really got deep enough in the story to comment on that but so far it centres on the Monado which is a sword with incredible power and a group who are experimenting with the sword to try and uncover the hidden powers it holds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I am trading my Kinect tomorrow to get a Wii. What games should I be looking at?

I know Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2), Kirby (Epic Yarn + Return To Dreamland), Legend of Zelda (whatever the first one was called and Skyward Sword), No More Heroes....but what else?

Ok, so I am trading my Kinect tomorrow to get a Wii. What games should I be looking at?

I know Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2), Kirby (Epic Yarn + Return To Dreamland), Legend of Zelda (whatever the first one was called and Skyward Sword), No More Heroes....but what else?

Don't bother with Twilight Princess, doesn't live up to the hype at all. Xenoblade Chronicles is an awesome JRPG that I think you'd probably love. Super Mario Bros Wii is pretty awesome. I recently downloaded Kirbys Return to Dreamland that's supposed to be pretty great. Wii Party is pretty fun with friends and Mario Kart is a laugh as usual.

Anyone besides TKz ( :shifty: ) have an opinion on Skyward Sword? I don't have MotionPlus yet, so it seems like a bit of a steep investment to make all at once.

I don't have any opinion on Skyward Sword seeing as I've not gotten around to playing it. :P I actually meant Twilight Princess. Sword has gotten nothing but good reviews I've heard.