The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Guest JukeboxHero

So, I beat the final boss in DKC Returns, but I'm still well short of completely finishing the entire game. I was planning on doing it, but then I read on IGN what I'd need to do to accomplish that.

Fuck. That.

• 3 weeks later...

Face Raiders is quite entertaining to play. The one drawback is that there is no possible way of playing it without looking like a complete fucking tool. Even if you're demonstrating it for someone. I've given at least three people headaches and gotten a couple myself whilst demoing our 3DS, if you're not looking directly at it, even low on the 3d slider, it fucks with your eyes.

Hopefully we'll get some actual games to demo soon <_<

Had one guy refuse to put a deposit down despite really wanting one because he refused to wear "those fucking nerd glasses." No amount of explaining that he'd been seeing the 3d effects for five minutes without glasses could sway him.

I traded in a crapload of stuff, wound up paying less than half for the system. Unfortunately, I have no clue what games are coming out for the 3DS for the release day, so I don't know what I should get, if I get anything.

So after having my DS stolen last year I've not really got around to replacing it. I'm thinking about getting a DS Lite (I don't really need a camera and the 3D version isn't something which really appeals to me) but reckon come next Friday when 3DS is out the Lite is going to go cheaper than the £69.99 its selling for now.

Any games that can be picked up rather cheaply I've missed in recent months that I should pick up.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know how much I can get for a Wii on trade in these days? About seven games, with Wii Balance board, two controllers (both with motion plus and nunchuks). I've not played it properly in nearly a year and thought it might be an idea to get some cash out of the weak ass thing since the only game worth a damn (No More Heroes) is now coming to PS3 over here.

For cash, I think the console's currently about £30-35. Wii Fit about £20. Controllers about a tenner each (one controller has to go in with the console, so I presume from what you've posted you have three remotes?). £3 maybe for a nunchuk, probably £5-10 for each Motion Plus. Games anywhere from about £3 to £20 depending on rarity and whether or not it has a stupid fucking plumber on the cover.

I bought a 3DS and so far have been really impressed with it. Haven't ever owned a DS before, or any handheld for that matter, but I really like the 3DS now I've got one. Expect it to get even better as the web browser is rolled out and more games get released. (Bomberman 3DS, please don't get cancelled!)

My little brother never plays his Wii any more (like, for two years), so I've stolen it, brought myself a controller and Kirbys Epic Yarn. And I have never had so much fun in my life. Need some suggestions as to what to pick up next and in what order. I'm really playing the Wii for the fun, simple games, so nothing like Mad World or all that. Here's what I'm looking at so far...

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and/or 2,

New Super Mario Bros Wii,

Sonic Colours,

Super Paper Mario,

Monster Hunter Tri.

Obviously I only really know about the big titles, so feel free to suggest some lesser known ones. I'm looking for games like this though, that I can pick up, play and have fun with at a moments notice. My PS3 is for all the big epic adventure/RPG/action games, I'm looking for something just fun with this. Also don't worry about the Lego games or Donkey Kong, as I've already beat most of the Lego games on PS3 and I know DKR is not going to be a easy experience! :P

Mario Galaxy 2, definitely. It's one of the most perfect games I've ever played - the first time a 3D platformer has ever been done completely right. A lot of fun.

Monster Hunter takes a long time to get going, and is really not something that I'd consider playing "just for fun". It's pretty hardcore.

Sonic Colours I found massively disappointing. 90% of the game is just on-screen prompts, and the remaining 10% is brief 2D platforming bits that bear no resemblance to the actually fun or engaging Sonic games they're supposed to remind you of.

No More Heroes 2 is one of my must-haves. It's batshit mental, but a hell of a lot of fun - if you like killing people with lightsaber-assisted back suplexes, or playing ludicrously addictive "8-Bit" minigames to earn money, or scripts filled with needless swearing, nonsensical mech-fights, the ability to watch the intro sequence of a fictional anime whenever you feel like it, or a series of mini-games based around helping your pet cat lose weight in-between your assassination attempts and beheadings....yeah, basically, buy it.

Do you say Mario Galaxy 2 exclusively because it's just a better game, or is Mario Galaxy 1 not worth picking up? Because I've already spent a lot on games this month, so if I'm going to get as much fun out of 1 (which is only £12) I'd rather pick that up and just get 2 next month.

Galaxy 2 is significantly better than Galaxy 1, but Galaxy 1 is still a great game in it's own right. Picking up both isn't a bad idea at all, especially if you can get Galaxy 1 on the cheap now.

That's good then. I'll pick up 1, as I get the feeling if I pick up 2 then 1, 1 might be a bit ruined.

In case anyone hasn't yet heard, some rumours have been swirling around over the last couple of weeks regarding a new Nintendo console. Nintendo Japan has now confirmed that the rumours are true, mentioning 2012 as the target release date.

No other official details have been released, but many of the rumours suggest that it could have graphical and processing power comparable to or greater than that of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, along with full backwards compatibility for Wii games. Some sort of touch-screen feature has also cropped up during speculation among gaming sites.

Here is the source:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

Just once, it'd be nice to see Nintendo on the cutting edge of console power. Granted, "OMG GRAFIX!!!" hasn't been a relevant discussion since 1994, but it'd be nice to see them just come out and say "fuck it, enjoy these pretty pictures" as opposed to the usual gimmicks. Of course, it gives them a nice advantage in terms of pricing, but it's going to kill them in 3rd parties again, who will continue to make half-assed ports and leave Nintendo a step behind in terms of AAA titles.

I appreciate the innovation and creativity that Nintendo brings to the table, but even though I've owned every Nintendo console, I haven't owned one for anything but Nintendo-developed games since the SNES. Still, I'm sure I'll buy this too. Mario Galaxy HD? I doubt I can pass that up.

I won't be buying it. I've basically been buying Nintendo systems for Pokémon and Mario games for a few generations now. Pokémon games on the main consoles have become worse and worse, and I doubt I'll ever buy a 3DS, even for Pokémon, simply because I can't stand the gimmick. Add to that the fact that they're basically peripheral city and I've probably ended up shelling out as much in peripherals as I have games for the damn Wii since I got it, I doubt very much I'll be getting this console barring some absolutely killer app (like finally getting a genuinely 3D Pokémon game that isn't just 'snagging' or some such shite).

Shame, because some of the games that have been exclusive to Nintendo initially have been thoroughly fun. Mad World and No More Heroes being the massive stand outs, and amusingly they're actually more visual based than most games.