The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

It's weird. I kind of get sucked into the Nintendo mind-set every now and then. I have an urge to pick up a Wii every now and then - but I think I'll just hold off and use the Wii U's initial launch period (if I end up getting one on launch, which I am putting money aside for now if I choose to) to get caught up on some Wii games that I've been meaning to play.

That's something I would like to try along with the Zelda games for the Wii, the Mario games (I never really got deep into Galaxy sadly) and a few others - plus I remember loving Sports Resort to play and get me up off the couch. Plus, since I see the Wii U as basically a Wii Plus I will basically own every Nintendo console in a compartment below the television. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

So I'm playing Kingdom Hearts: (3D) Dream Drop Distance. So far, it's basically the best of all of the Kingdom Hearts systems, with some additional mechanics that make the game feel like they didn't just phone it in like re:Coded. Only finished two levels, and on my third, but the best thing so far?

There's a TRON level in this one, just like in KHII. However, unlike the KHII version, where the REAL Ansem made the program, this is the TRON level that we know and love. It's based on Tron: Legacy. So of course, you've got JEFF BRIDGES reprising his role. Or at least a damned good voice actor and, of course, Disney re-using the scans of him from Tron: Legacy.

EDIT: Just looked it up, it's really good voice actors and re-used scans from the film.

Long story that I won't bother anyone with, but I have come into ownership of a 3DS (not the XL sadly, which genuinely blew me away with how good the screen was - the 3d doesn't even give me headaches!). I have Zelda because I never got round to playing it on the N64, but what else is worth picking up that isn't shovelware or rubbish Mario games?

Pushmo (or whatever it's called in the UK) from their online games shop is probably the best 3DS game. I say this as somebody who's never played Kid Icarus or the new Kingdom Hearts, though I'm anticipating both for Christmas.

Ta. I'd been put off by Kid Icarus as apparently it's a mess to play, or you have to turn off the 3d and whathaveyou (I've always thought it odd that a system that required certain viewing angles to show off its 3D capabilities was also given tilt/motion/gyro controls).

Also looking for tips on the shop thing.

• 3 weeks later...

http://deadspin.com/5936800/game-over-nintendo-power-to-cease-publishing-after-24-years

Posted in t' general gaming thread, but I'll post it here too. Nintendo Power outlasted most of t' other "official" console magazine...is OPM and XBM still around at all?

I vividly remember reading NP as a kid, using t' tips to help me in games, Counselors Corner etc..Howard and Nes was one of my favorite features. I'm sure if I hunted around my dads house I still have t' original Dragon Warrior strategy guide I got from NP somewhere

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, first thoughts on something I used at PAX this past weekend; the Wii-U tablet is weird to actually play. I used it for ZombiU and the Super Mario Bros. game. On the former, it's pretty interesting if not probably needed per se? It can do some really cool stuff but maybe not 100% stuff that you couldn't achieve with a normal controller. The game itself is... well, it's a zombie FPS. But it's fun.

The basic concept of how you use the tablet in multiplayer in Mario is pretty fun because it definitely fulfills what I think is the key and most fun part of those games; you can either help your fellow players or screw them over in hilarious fashion, be it intentional or unintentional. When I was controlling the boxes I both managed to save the guys controlling the characters themselves or, occasionally, accidentally putting one up right above where they were going to jump, sending them plummeting into the abyss. The only problem is that I had to control it whilst standing and holding the entire tablet in one hand so I could actually use the touch screen. I'm sure the intention of the tablet for stuff like this is that you're sitting whilst using it so it was more a situational problem, but it's still pretty awkward.

Also, the quality of the video screen itself on the tablet is lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

So, anyone else catching the NOA WiiU Livestream event in 15 minutes?