The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Super Scribblenauts is fuuuuuuu-hun. I was just told to use adjectives to turn ordinary objects into horror movie props. So I made an undead plunger, a haunted vacuum, an evil zoo, a ghostly tire, and a vampiric boulder. Ghosts burst out of the vacuum and the tire, and then the plunger turned the ghosts into zombies. Then the boulder turned the zoo into a vampire. Tremendous.

• 5 weeks later...

Are there any games similar to Bejeweled on the DS? I know there's Puzzle Quest, and I've seen something called Jewel Quest Solitaire (?!?) at work, but my mum's getting a DSi for Christmas and wants a Bejewled game. I think Puzzle Quest's going to be a bit too complx for ehr with all the RPG elements in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone use the Homebrew Channel, or has anyone ever had any problems out of it? I installed it recently for the sole purpose of playing DVDs with M Player - and getting rid of my ancient DVD player that only worked half the time. It was kind of stupid for Nintendo to prevent the Wii from reading DVDs anyway. Are there any apps anyone would recommend?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally pissed off that Epic Yarn isn't released in the UK yet. That would have made my Christmas. It looks so, so adorable, and looks to be pretty much everything I've grown to love about Nintendo. Also hoping that it'll get rid of the bad taste that Epic Mickey being an epic disappointment has left in my mouth.

We own both. It makes Epic Mickey look like a chump, which it is, so that helps. Worst part about Epic Mickey--aside from the fact that it has the worst camera of any game in at least fifteen years--is the fact that it seems to imply that you can unlock a lot of the old Mickey Mouse and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit cartoons by getting the film reels in the side-scrolling levels... and you can only unlock one of each. Total letdown.

Epic Yarn is so good, though. I haven't played a lot of it, but what I've seen so far has been just fantastic.

Epic Mickey was such a letdown, it kind of makes me sad. I'm not a Disney fan, in fact, I've barely seen any Disney cartoons, but the concept really appealed to me....and it just doesn't work.

The art style is wonderful, the intro is fantastic, and while it's not especially well utilised, the paint/thinner dynamic is a nice idea. But the level design, coupled with the poor camera, is utterly appalling - it reminds me of stuff like Croc or the first couple of Spyro games; too much aimless wandering because you can't figure out where you're going, followed by precision jumping that takes ten times to get right, and needless busy work; stuff that would have been the norm for a PS1 game, perhaps - it sets 3D platforming back a good six or seven years at least, which is pretty unforgivable post-Mario Galaxy for a game that was hyped up from day one as being unique and innovative. Sonic Colours didn't even bore me as quickly as Epic Mickey, and that game was a sack of shit. I'll probably give Mickey another try when I have time, but I can't remember the last time I went into a game with such high expectations and got them dashed so quickly.

Prepare to hate the train levels in Epic Yarn. "Hey guys, I bet you need a break from this tight, relaxing platforming with its brilliant art style and clever level design; hope you like drawing train tracks via arbitrary pointing controls with the finicky Wii remote!

God, as much as I really absolutely spectacularly love Kirby's Epic Yarn, those train levels... those fucking train levels.

It's like they were worried that they'd made the best 2D platformer since the SNES and didn't put Mario in the title, so they had to do this to bump it down a couple pegs. What's worse is that our couches don't like up perfectly with the TV, so the tracks hop around all over the place. Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Golden Sun Dark Dawn. Fantastic Game, terrible plot. I didn't expect much, but I did expect at the very least that the main quest would be remembered for more than 3 hours in game.

"Yay, we saved the world!"

"What about that other thing?"

Yeah, fantastic.

Guest JukeboxHero

I finally got around to buying a Wii a week ago. Just finished Mario Galaxy 1, great game. I also bought Mario Kart Wii, GoldenEye, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I plan on trying out Mario Kart and DKC Returns over the weekend. I've played a little bit of the new GoldenEye, but I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.

My wife has been sitting on DKC Returns since Christmas and hasn't played it. I think I'm going to force her to this weekend if I can pry myself away from grading/newly updated Minecraft with PINK BLOCKS.

• 2 weeks later...

DKC is awesome, but it has an unforgiving difficulty. I can only play a few levels at a time since I am no longer accustomed to the mindless repetition that comes with classic side-scrollers.

Guest JukeboxHero

You aren't kidding about the difficulty. I think the pig has asked me if I want Super Kong to finish the level for me every level since the start of the second area. I refuse to use it. It's gonna take me forever to beat this fucking game.

It's a lot easier if you can keep Diddy alive, which is a lot easier playing two players. I play with my niece, which pretty much constitutes her shooting peanuts at everything and not much else. There's been a couple levels that have gotten to me, but I've made it to World 7 while only seeing one game over screen. Mostly because a couple levels I've gained 2 lives for every one that I lost, and I lost a lot.

Guest JukeboxHero

Diddy is definitely essential for making jumps and whatnot.

For me, the game is pretty brutal. I'm actually kind of shocked at how hard the game is. I just started World 6 and I imagine things won't get much easier for me.

Not saying I hate the game, by the way. It's rather amazing. It's just not a game I can sit and play for hours on end because I just get sick of it after a while and the difficulty is the reason why.

Edited by JukeboxHero

• 2 weeks later...