The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah, I got a DS Lite as a DSi really doesn't have anything that interests me. Don't need a camera, don't need a music player that can't play MP3s.

• 3 weeks later...

Shit, I'm excited for the DSi, probably gonna get it when it comes out.

As an aside: MadWorld. Fucking buy this game. I borrowed it from work for a little while and what I did play of it is just crazy fun. The graphics are wonderful and the story ain't so bad either, plus you get Steven Blum as the lead voice actor which is always nice. Controls are fun and aggressive, easy to learn and the gameplay is challenging but not impossible. It has an excellent learning curve going in and progressively gets a bit more difficult the further you go in, as it should.

The story is simple, rather than explain it just read the wiki entry on it. Basically, all you need to know is this: you will kill people, and the more creative your kill, the more points you earn for it.

All in all, hell of a game. I'll be borrowing it again since I don't have the money to buy it, but if I did and didn't need that money for other things, I totally would buy it. Definitely a game worth having (Y)

UK'ers hold your fire on picking up Mad World, till next week at least. S'all I can say.

Does the price drop next week or is it not out until next week or something? Sorry, just not sure what you'd implied there by that >_>

It's been out a week or so, but the shedloads of copies that have been ordered in haven't exactly been flying off the shelves...

Oh, and we got the DSi in today, wrote one off so we could demo it. It's the gimmickiest piece of shit ever. The matte finish is nice, don't notice a great deal different about the screens, it's still pretty quiet, and the camera quite simply blows (0.3 megapixel, for serious?!?!?!). They hide it well because it's only on a tiny screen, but if you transfer those pictures to your computer or something, they'll look horrid.

• 1 month later...

Just added GTA Chinatown Wars, Lego Batman/Indiana Jones/Star Wars, Pokemon Platinum, Big Bang Mini, Monsters vs Aliens and Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure to my already 30+ strong DS collection.

Should keep me going during the 9 hour flight tomorrow. I imagine there's a few who've played the Lego games. Anyone got any thoughts on the others?

• 1 month later...

So I just got a used GameCube - some awesome games on there, just never bothered to get the system - but there seems to be a problem with the video. It spins the disc, it gets power, but there's nothing going on with my TV. Is it a problem with the system, or with the AV cord?

Thanks to anybody that knows.

Next DS game I plan on getting?

Behold Scribblenauts

http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14304256/scr..._e3_061009.html

Its a simple puzzle game in which you collect stars. That demonstration ends with God, wielding a shotgun and riding a skateboard, fighting Cthulhu.

• Like 1

Next DS game I plan on getting?

Behold Scribblenauts

http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/14304256/scr..._e3_061009.html

Its a simple puzzle game in which you collect stars. That demonstration ends with God, wielding a shotgun and riding a skateboard, fighting Cthulhu.

Video won't work for me, but is that the game where you basically tell it to draw stuff to try and beat puzzles or what-have-you? I read about that in NGamer, and if it's as good as it sounds like it could be, I'm tempted to pick up a DS just for that. In their demo, apparently they got as far as "kidney dialysis machine" without finding an item it couldn't draw, and gave up there.

"The player may also chain objects together, such as chaining a piece of meat to a pole and holding it while riding on a raptor.[1] In one notable example, a post at NeoGAF described the author discovering he was able to go back in time with a time machine to collect a dinosaur in order to defeat an army of robot zombies that could not be defeated with regular weapons"

Edited by For British Eyes Only

• 1 month later...

It's actually very good. I've been demoing it over the weekend at work with Wii Sports Resort, and it does make a pretty big difference. It's more accurate, and detects smaller gestures much better. I noticed it most on the Frisbee golf, you can get quite a variety of spins on it.

That said, it's overpriced as all hell, like everything Nintendo. But at least this new Wii Sports is a bit more involving.

Edited by Dragonzord

Yea, the controller situation with the Wii, even before now, made me think that it was very expensive. A Wiimote is what, £30? Nunchuck £15. That's £45 already and then you have to go again if you want another set for any 2 player gaming, let alone 3 or more. Now you have to tack on a WM+ for another £15-20?

Bludgeoning Justin Lee Collins Mii on Wii Swordfighting couldn't possibly ever get old.

Okay, I hate WiiMotionPlus for making me bad at Wii Golf :@

Edited by Racist Bannon

• 4 months later...

My girlfriend and I just picked up a Wii last night because Walmart had a deal where if you bought one for $199 you got a $50 gift card (which my girlfriend used to buy two games. One Pet Vet something or other and Sims 2 Castaway) I have to say I love it, having owned a 360 for the past few years I've always felt bad when I was spending so much time on shooters and shit that she just couldn't get into. Then we get this console and with all of the party and multi player games I think we're going to have a blast with it. If XBox hit the party game scene a little better it wouldn't hurt them at all. I can see why Nintendo has made a killing off the Wii, chicks and kids love those types of games.

I can't wait until payday to buy up some points and start downloading some of the older games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is going to be a blast to pick up again. The one thing I will say is that the controller prices are ridiculous. I stopped at the local gamestop and picked up and extra Wii Remote, MotionPlus, Nunchuck, and classic controller and busted $120. It will be a while before I'm able to pick up enough equipment to have a set of four, that's for sure.

Oh, and Raving Rabbids TV Party is the freaking shit. Great fun.

• 1 month later...

If anyone here has ever played both the original Metal Gear Solid and also MGS Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, would you describe Twin Snakes as:

a) comparable to MGS1, no real point distinguishing

b) inferior to MGS1 due to some ill-advised alterations or other

c) superior to MGS1 due to some quite good alterations or other

d) a mish-mash of B and C

Just an old curiosity that occured to me a moment ago.

The original MGS is pretty much the only game in the series that I actually liked, and I prefer Twin Snakes. It adopts the nice things about MGS2 without all the bullshit that came attached to it (7-year cutscenes, plot twists every 8 seconds, and Raiden).

On a Nintendo note, I've been dropping most of my Christmas money on Virtual Console with one WiiWare game (Swords & Soldiers) that's a lot of fun but probably isn't going to hold up. I played through Ocarina of Time and am slowly working through Majora's Mask again now, and I've been playing the Mega Man games intermittently. The real surprise for me was StarTropics, which I got at the recommendation of a friend. I never played it as a kid, but holy shit, this game would've changed my life if I'd played it 20 years ago.

Also got the original Mario Kart, which has aged beautifully, and Earthworm Jim, which... has aged like milk, frankly.