The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm only just on the third world now, and never actually played Galaxy 1, but I honestly think this is one of the best games I've ever played. The first platformer I can think of that genuinely really works in 3D all the way through (so far at least). Superb stuff, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, the 3DS is made of magic.

I've got 101-ish stars now--almost through the special world first run, and I'm also in the midst of the annoying task of going back and looking for Comet Coins that I've missed. Holy shit, the Stone Cyclone Galaxy.

Spring Mario in the Chomp Factory can seriously go fuck itself. That's the first time this game has annoyed me. And in terms of stuff in Mario, my love for Chomps is only matched by my ever-growing love for Waluigi.

• Like 1

Spring Mario sucked in the last game, too. Thankfully, you do that a lot less in 2 than the first one. I have no idea why that power-up wasn't right there on the chopping block with the New SMB blue shell.

So far Bee Mario has been the only new power-up that I actually quite like. The others are functional, but Bee is the only one that has any of the charm that Mario power-ups should.

Stone Cyclone is infuriating, but just wait until you have to get the first comet star in the Flip Out Galaxy. I almost punted the Wii. :angry:

I just opened Flip Out Galaxy.

Please tell me the first comet star isn't a purple coin star, because this level seems tailor made for that sort of wankery.

Oh no my friend, it's

Shadow Marios, who mimic your every move and will annoy the ever-loving shit out of you.

Okay, I fucking nailed that one in about two tries. I don't know if it was just the fact that I'd gone through about fifty times already, but those purple bastards weren't no thang.

Doing the green stars now. It's nice that the Mario Squared Galaxy is one of the easiest ones. Most of the ones I've hit so far haven't been too hard, but I've got a long way to go yet.

EDIT: Okay, I reiterate my previous point about fuck you Stone Cyclone. That first green star is madness.

Glad you didn't have too much trouble with it (fucker :shifty:). You have to do it again for a green star, but I didn't have as much trouble with that one since I had to do the first one twenty fucking times.

I...

...I just unlocked the daredevil run.

Okay.

I know you're obviously supposed to have some clouds with you when you get to the bastard part with the spinny platforms and the green disappearing ones and the cannons and the ground lasers and the OH GOD.

Have you finished that part? Because I'm doing zen magic through everything before that but dying horribly at that point.

EDIT: I HAVE SEEN THE HAMMER BROTHERS OF DESTINY.

I found an extra life in the cloud part, which is so much fun. I'm going to finish this fucking thing tonight if it kills me and then I'm probably going to take a long break from video games because holy shit, this.

EDIT AGAIN:

I DID IT.

Here's my pro-tip: by the time you get to the end of the world you should have 800,000 Star Bits from trying the level over and over. Use these Star Bits to punish the Hammer Brothers hordes. Those motherfuckers. Make them pay for the shit you had to go through to reach that point in the game.

EDIT PROBABLY THE LAST TIME:

In fact, here are a few things I figured out when I was going through that made things a lot easier.

1. The things that shoot out the three circles of ground lasers in the fourth section stop shooting a little bit after you get past them. Literally, if they've started a pattern of three and get one in, they stop. It's wise to be patient in the first part when the jumps are trickier, but I had an easier time just zooming through those last sections, especially because the cannons are slow and won't hit you so long as you keep moving a little bit (I spent my early time in these sections taking it slow, and that just made it harder).

2. If you can get at least a couple of clouds into that same section with you (which isn't too hard), it's pretty easy to bypass the last section of the level just by long-jumping and making clouds.

3. In the next section with the pull stars and the lasers, there's a trick that'll make the section a total breeze. The section tricks you into thinking it's in two dimensions, but don't forget: you're still in three-dimensional space. If you shake the Wii Remote while hovering by one of the pull stars, you'll lose your grip. A second or so after falling (don't wait too long), grab the same pull star again and let go of A almost immediately. You'll slingshot yourself ABOVE the pull star, which means you can actually bypass the electric fences just by latching on to the pull star beyond them and flying above them. Once I figured this out, this section became a breeze.

4. Fucking kill the Hammer Brothers with star bits. Rape their faces.

And that's what helped me. You'll see those Hammer Brothers yet!

Bought a Nintendo 64 with two controllers, a memory pack (and apparently another one already in the 64 itself), and Pokemon Snap! for $35 on Sunday from a buddy of mine. He also gave me Super Smash Bros. and told me just give him $12 for it whenever I have the money to. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. Already beat Pokemon Snap! and unlocked most of Smash Bros.

Planning on buying an SNES off of him some other time and just start stocking up on games for the N64 and the SNES. I still have my NES with nearly 100 games, so I'm good there. Might get a Gamecube to complete the set and buy a few games for it while they're good and cheap. Can't wait to be able to look at my TV and basically see the history of Nintendo sitting right under it :w00t:

Probably will do the same for my PS3 and put out my PS2, buy an old PS and just sit them all side by side. I don't really need the PS or anything, but it'll be nice to just have it there really.

• Like 1

Mission Impossible was a severely underrated game on the 64 and I just happened to find a copy at the local record shop a few months back which made my day. But I'll be damned if I can't find my 64 around the house, so I may have to plop down 40 bucks to buy the system again.

• 2 weeks later...