The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

• 5 weeks later...

Other M has been averaging in the 8's for reviews, yet the actual articles make the numbers sound VERY generous. I don't think I've seen a single review yet without the words "disappointing," "frustrating," or "confusing." So going off my "Video Game Reviewers Will Overrate Anything That They Were Originally Introduced To When They Were 14-Years-Old Or Younger" Theory, that probably puts it somewhere around a 5.

If any of you guys get it though, let us know how it is, because I'm not diving in head first on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give a full review on the game for you whenever I beat it Zero, but so far I'm roughly an hour into the game and loving every second. Voice acting is great, graphics are beautiful (even for a Wii game, but just beautiful in-general)-- especially the cinematics-- and I myself have actually enjoyed the gameplay so far. I get why most reviewers have chosen to scorn the game a little because of them taking away your abilities in the beginning (and, to them, how it's excused), but truth be told the way it's described makes sense and I have no complaints about it yet. Her commander is a bit stubborn, he has a point to prove and so does she by showing she can listen to him no matter how unreasonable it may be for her to do so. G4 made a particularly poor review on the game (both in score and in reasoning for the score) by stating that it makes her seem like a powerless little girl that she listens to her former commander and father figure when he gives her orders, but then, honestly, considering this is the kind-of info they have Adam Sessler and Morgan Manjaw read off, I see no real legitimacy to it :shifty:

Again though, I'm only roughly an hour in. This is a 10+ hour game, probably a bit longer if you spend enough time trying to find all the extras-- which I intend upon doing-- there's a long way to go before I hit the spots I noted most reviewers complaining about (i.e. that business with the Varia Suit), but again, it's swept under the rug by the fact that no matter how asinine the command/lack thereof, Samus is showing the commander she can follow his orders just fine and still do just as well as she would on her own. She has a point to prove, even if it means going in without using some of her weapons on purpose.

So yes, personally, I like it thus far. I'll keep you guys updated on my status with the game and put together a proper review at some point after I beat it. Right now though, this is the first game that has gotten me to play my Wii more than my PS3-- and that's saying something, because generally I play my PS3 every day, and having bought the game and playing it some last night, this morning I woke up to keep playing it with no real intention to switch over to the PS3 at any point today to stop. That doesn't usually happen for me. If I wasn't five minutes away from being out the door I'd probably still be playing it right now :P

Her voice actress gives her a lot of strength, actually, at least in her monologues. I've yet to hear her whine about a damn thing, she still comes off as this strong character with a vulnerable side due to her past. Thus far the only thing submissive I've noted about her is her actions towards Adam, the commander, and she tells the player in the very beginning that he's her father figure because he was the only parental figure she'd had in her life growing up.

Basically, as soon as she realizes that he's heading a mission with the Galactic Federation, she allows him to regulate when she can use her weapons, just as he does with his own men. She does this to prevent a conflict of authority in the mission since she'd be working together with them, and to show him that she was able to listen to his commands, something she did seemingly begrudgingly when she was younger. It's pretty clear the character does this to prove to the guy that she's changed and grown since they'd last met, really.

Honestly, these days a lot of reviews really work towards pushing forward pros and cons a lot harder than they should. As far as the game goes for me so far, the cons they talk about seem waaaaay too over-dramatized because they're afraid of saying so much good about it that they'll lose credibility if people disagree with them. The game isn't anywhere near perfect, but to use the word "disappointing" is so far off base, at least for me, that I kind-of can't help but roll my eyes at it. I've been hyped for this game for ages and I've yet to be disappointed by the delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

I preferred Phantom Hourglass. Spirit Tracks felt so... restricting, I guess is the word I'm looking for. Unlike Super Mario Galaxy 2, which took up where Super Mario Galaxy left off and made it feel like a legitimate new game using similar mechanics but building on them, Spirit Tracks just... it felt like a clone of Phantom Hourglass. Like, most Zelda games offer something different from each other, which is why I love the franchise, but Spirit Tracks was a complete rehashing of Phantom Hourglass in the worst kind-of way.

Also, Zero, you'll be happy to know I just beat Metroid: Other M today. I'll let the honeymoon period fade before I write a proper review, because right now I'm still caught up in how fucking spectacular I feel the effort on this game was. Took me a long time to beat it, but then that was because I took my time with the game and looked for as much as I could, and I was spreading my play time out over the span of a few weeks. Total playtime counted by the game at the end of it was just shy of 10 hours total, so if you marathon'd this game it could be beaten in a day, just like God of War III. That being said though, the story, the ending, and even despite what I've read other critics saying, the gameplay... everything about the game I honestly loved. Again though, I'm waiting for awhile before truly writing anything on it because it could just be me getting swept up in the post-game finale bliss and all that.

Looks like I'll be continuing my usual handheld tradition of upgrading long after launch. I got a GBA when the Special Edition came out, a special edition when the DS came out, and a DS Lite when the DSI came out.

I dare say there will be plenty of new iterations of the 3DS over the years, so I won't be rushing to buy it at launch. To put things into perspective, 25,000 yen is the same price at which the Wii was sold at launch. Having said that, though, I'm more excited for the 3DS than I ever was for the Wii, and I'm not even into handheld gaming.

• 3 weeks later...