The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Yeah, New 3DS is a better performing system, which people forget--it's a legitimate upgrade and not just "the same plus amiibo and a little stick nub thing." You can see the difference in games like Smash Bros that strain on the original.

• Like 2

...ugh, why the hell do I save scum in Fire Emblem? I'm the worst. When I play Conquest I should just turn on the option that has the people return after battle.

I'm on chapter 12...

First time...pegasus got too close to an arrow who I thought was out of range. NOPE. Restart.

Second time...I was just trying to kill the armored dudes, then the king fucked up my shit.

And here's a Nintendo Life line-up of all the news to come out of the direct:

Wii U

3DS

Wii U & 3DS

Miscellaneous

8 hours ago, Ruki said:

...ugh, why the hell do I save scum in Fire Emblem? I'm the worst. When I play Conquest I should just turn on the option that has the people return after battle.

I'm on chapter 12...

Hidden Content

Dude, no, Chapter 12 you go in and grab the treasure if you want it but the main thing is you attach the avatar to a flying unit like Hinoka and GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE. Sticking Saizo or Kaze with Setsuna to swoop in and grab the treasure chest on the same turn that you exit the battlefield is a good idea. You can't beat the king in Chapter 12, he's way too powerful, that's the point. Chapter 12 is not a good place to grind.

Most of the joining characters are really obvious in Birthright. Did you get Takumi? I think he's the only person who starts as an enemy that you can get (in that horrible, awful, no fun at all forest map with the spike traps).

I did! There were a ton of named characters this time around that I was unsure of, but I got him so huzzah. I'm going to go over my pairings tonight.. I am spending way too much time getting people paired up/getting kids than actually doing story at this point. Rushing relationships is easy enough though.

So I got a 3DS XL and both Fates games, Birthright physical, Conquest download.  I started things in classic mode so if someone dies, I won't get them back ever, right?  I am prepared to punish myself in that regard.

What do you guys use for SD cards?  I know I'll need to get a bigger one pretty soon.  Also, game recommendations plz, 3DS, DS, virtual console whatever you'd like.

41 minutes ago, Maxx said:

So I got a 3DS XL and both Fates games, Birthright physical, Conquest download.  I started things in classic mode so if someone dies, I won't get them back ever, right?  I am prepared to punish myself in that regard.

What do you guys use for SD cards?  I know I'll need to get a bigger one pretty soon.  Also, game recommendations plz, 3DS, DS, virtual console whatever you'd like.

Correct.

Although, I think (could be wrong) in the first 6 chapters they will return. I had Kaze die in one of the first missions, and now he's one of my stronger units.

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

Can you NOT get Takumi in that fight?

Also, in Chapter 12...what happens if you go fight your evil brother and his gang?

You lose in hilarious fashion. Garon has ridiculous stats, a top-level axe, Dragonskin (halves all damage), and a posse. You're a mid-level schmuck whose goal in the battle is RETREAT.

That's the king! I'm talking about the brother who shows up on the far left side.

After I lost someone to Garon I decided to say fuck it and tried to kill him....I think I took 5HP off of him.

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

In my case, I went with the largest capacity the system will allow (32 GB)

Bought it specifically for Xenoblade Chronicles. Also intend to pick up Chrono Trigger, Dream Drop Distance, and the recent Fire Emblem games when my hours at work pick up again.

I know it'd be a lot of work to have every child have unique dialog with every possible mother....but when Setsuna is Caeldori's mother, it just feels weird.

Edit: I think I've decided to pair Azama and Kagero, Rinkah and Saizo, Kaden and Sakura.

My pairings were

Hayato/Orochi (this makes an absolutely incredible Rhajat)
Jakob/Azura (Jakob's son is an absolute healing monster, this is a good combination)
Ryoma/Hana
Silas/Rinkah
Kaze/Felicia
Hinata/Kagero
Takumi/Mozu
Subaki/Sakura
Azama/Hinoka
Kaden/Setsuna
Saizo/Oboro

I haven't gotten most of these yet; I've got Rhajat, both of Jakob and Asura's children, and Ryoma's son. The children chapters scale by level, so since I got Rhajat and Dwyer (Jakob's son) early, they were fairly easy. It's not a situation like Awakening where some kids (Morgan, Kjelle, Owain) have very easy paralogues and some (Gerome, Nah, Brady) have really hard ones. I made a couple of attempts at Azama's daughter but kept dying for stupid reasons, so I decided to wait and come back later. When I came back later, all of the generic outlaws were suddenly second-tier classes and they were all over the map. In Awakening, it was fairly easy to grind someone like Olivia all the way to Galeforce and then pass it on to Inigo, but in Fates, if you grind your characters to a level 15 skill, you pay for it with tougher enemies. I'm at the point where the same seven or eight people (Avatar, Rhajat, Ryoma, Hana, Saizo, Oboro, Hinoka, and Azama) pretty much handle all of my fighting and everyone else just hangs back trying to get a shot in.