The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Nice update. I am tentatively excited. I like the idea of checkpoints. What I really would like is for the weird restrictions to be lifted. You can only have ten warp pipes, which seem weird. Also, I think it would be cool if you could warp into more than two terrain. Have a level that spans every background.

• Like 1

You can only have ten in total, just an FYI. And they warp you to another stage in equal size to the first stage you have. So you can have ten warp portals and 4 doors in sets of door in both of your areas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of stuff are you into? Pokémon is always a good idea, X/Y and Alpha/Omega were both really good. Fire Emblem was pretty good if you like turn based strategy games. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are musts if you don't have a Wii U. We could do better with recommendations depending on what you like, there's a lot there.

Based on the reaction on Twitter, I think I'm the only person who really liked Twilight Princess.

tumblr_nlueumIQKx1u2p4iso1_400.gif

I was not expecting that. I was expecting, like, Inklings or Wolf or something.

EDIT: Though now that the 12-year-old part of my brain is in recession again, don't we already have enough sword guys?

• Like 3

Also pretty much confirms that FF7 Remake will come to the NX, I'd have thought.

Which could mean a whole range of FF7 amiibo and I just got myself even more excited.

No word on whether he was a character from the Smash Ballot too, which is a bit weird. I'd have been surprised if he was the top pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

tumblr_nlueumIQKx1u2p4iso1_400.gif

I was not expecting that. I was expecting, like, Inklings or Wolf or something.

EDIT: Though now that the 12-year-old part of my brain is in recession again, don't we already have enough sword guys?

You're the absolute bestest for posting that GIF. :wub::wub::wub:

I feel like Smash needs something for me to return back to it. i don't know what, but it isn't new characters. I played it for the first two months after it came out and I haven't played it since. 

It is funny to contrast it with Splatoon. I bought Splatoon on release day and I enjoyed it, but it only got better. Each week, a new map or weapon is released on Splatoon. And every couple of months, they release a load of new gear. And then the tweak the game and the guns, so you try new things out. And they've added two new modes over time. A lot of people chuckled about the lack of content on launch, but staggering the release like they did made it so I had to keep coming back to see what new was released. The game was very good to begin with, but it morphed into a superb game. I still play Splatoon... not daily, but I would guess 4-5 times a week. 

With Smash Bros, that feeling somewhat exists when paid DLC is announced/released, but I honestly don't want to shell out $4 for one character so it rarely registers. My first thought when Cloud was announced was... "oh... cool... but I'm not going to pay $4 for it". I just feel like Smash Bros needs something big for me to tune in again and I'm not sure what. I think perhaps a sprawling single player campaign wherein they tied together all of these different characters would be cool. Even incorporate the DLC characters into the single player story, so that a player who hasn't bought Ryu on DLC can play him in the campaign. 

I've played every Smash Bros game, and this is the only time in the franchise I just kind of feel nothing about. I wish there was something new in the game that changed the formula up. I just haven't been hooked. I hope their Smash Direct brings some game changer out. 

• Like 2

I really wish the regular sized new 3DS would just come out here already. None of the Animal Crossing ones landed anywhere near here which is a shame. I don't care about the faceplates or anything like that, I just like the size. The comfort of a 2DS is not worth giving up for the awkwardness that an XL mode gives me.