The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm thinking of picking one of them up tomorrow. Not sure which. I like the sound of Conquest being a little harder/having different objectives in missions...but at the same time, I do suck at the game. And I did JUST get a game similar to this in XCOM 2....

...but it is only $50.

This is worth reposting my "GameStop tried to fuck me over" story from Facebook:

I had some money on a gift card from Christmas, so I wanted to preorder both upcoming Fire Emblem Fates games. (They're releasing two distinct games simultaneously with separate stories and such, and you can link up both for more stuff) I had read (or thought I'd read) that they were having a sale to buy a cartridge of one and a download of the other for $60, which is a great deal for two new 3DS games that I knew I'd play a lot.

So I asked the clerk for both, and he rang me up. I asked him if they had a bundle and he very quickly said, "No, there's no bundle, I don't know why they didn't do one." Kind of raised an eyebrow but figured I was thinking of another store, and I had the gift card anyway, so I put in the preorder anyway. I had the kids with me and didn't really feel like starting an argument I wasn't sure I could win.

When I went out to my car, out of curiosity, I checked the GameStop website on my phone. Lo and behold, there it was in big letters right on the front page:

FIRE EMBLEM FATES: BIRTHRIGHT CARTRIDGE WITH FIRE EMBLEM FATES: CONQUEST DOWNLOAD, $59.99. SAVE MONEY BY BUYING BOTH.

I went back inside (and in that time the line had been filled by two people buying entire consoles and trying to pay in cereal box tops and bits of string) and showed the same guy who rang me up. He said, "Are you sure that's from GameStop?" I pointed to the giant GAMESTOP logo at the top of the page. I said, "I asked you if there was a bundle. Why didn't you tell me there was a bundle?"

He said, "Well, when most people want to buy both games, they want two cartridges. I figured since you wanted both, you wanted two cartridges. You should've told me you wanted to download one."

BULL. SHIT. I didn't ask for two game CARTRIDGES; I asked if there was a BUNDLE to buy both GAMES.

Luckily, he changed the preorder (after ten minutes of work) and refunded my $20, and I stormed out fuming to go spend less time in a crowded Wendy's line than it took me to get one heavily advertised discount on a popular upcoming game.

Pretty sure this will be my last time going into that place.

The EB Games employees that I explained it to yesterday had no clue how it ultimately worked either. Granted that information regarding it hasn't been all that forthcoming from Nintendo as far as I can tell, but I could at least find the information out there that stated the "if you finish one you can but the others digitally at half price" but the redundancy of having both in cartridge form is something that I am really happy that I found out about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sousa said:

Disappointing as usual.

Wendy's was my high school job so I have a warm spot in my heart for Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers. 

By warm spot, I mean heart disease. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ruki said:

Wendy's is probably the #2 on the fast food hierarchy. I would personally put Burger King above them.

If we're talking burgers, my ranking legitimately changes each day, but they're almost always 1-2.  Though I stay farrrrr away from them nowadays, I actually confess to having the Big Mac in the top five, if not third.  If I no longer have the will to live, White Castle/Krystals would be my bronze medal choice.  If you held a scale to my head right now, I'd go Wendy's/Burger King/Krystal/Five Guys/McDonalds.

Source:  my own fat ass.

Anyways, actual Nintendo question:  any place akin to CD Keys where I could grab a digital code for Smash more reasonably priced?  Seriously wanting to throw down on that game again, but $55-$60 and the price of DLC is sitting with me about as well as 12 Krystals.

• Like 1

So! I got Birthiright today...just got to Chapter 5. Not much has happened yet, but I imagine the game actually opens up at/after Chapter 6.

Also? Trying to do this run legit, no save scumming...which has cost me. I've already lost Kaze, because I did a stupid. 

I just finished Chapter 6, which is when the game formally commits to either Birthright, Conquest, or Revelations. I've got both but Conquest is DLC so I'm doing Birthright first (which is the easiest and also the closest to the way Awakening played). I just got my castle and summoned Lucina with an amiibo so I kind of love this game right now.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sousa said:

I just finished Chapter 6, which is when the game formally commits to either Birthright, Conquest, or Revelations. I've got both but Conquest is DLC so I'm doing Birthright first (which is the easiest and also the closest to the way Awakening played). I just got my castle and summoned Lucina with an amiibo so I kind of love this game right now.

U GON SIRE II:ELECTRIC BOOGALOO? :w00t::w00t:

• Like 1

Ummm....why can I build an S rank with my sister?

Also, yay! Kaze didn't die (somehow?)! And I got the Songstress killed in the free DLC, but she just retreated...I need to stop sucking at this game.

Sousa, what's the best way to level up healers? I'm always worried that if I have them out front they are gonna to be rushed by the enemies. 

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

Ummm....why can I build an S rank with my sister?

Sousa, what's the best way to level up healers? I'm always worried that if I have them out front they are gonna to be rushed by the enemies. 

1. They're all step-siblings as it turns out, which you can't find out except through supports (I looked it up).

2. I try my best to create a front. Whenever possible, hang out just on the edge of the threatened territory with a weapon advantage character and let the enemies feed into you, which both protects your healers and helps you keep an advantage (and gives your healers something to do--healing the person just attacked). Your Butler/Maid unit in this game is actually a healer who can defend him/herself, but they're both second-tier recruits--they're in the Frederick role of an early promoted unit better than everyone else. I'm of the opinion that this means you should use them sparingly, but on higher difficulties you might need them.

I really like the way the Butler/Maid unit serves as the Frederick clone in this way--they both have range and healing power, so they're actually meant to support and thus won't dominate the battle. Unlike Frederick, neither are tanky, so you can have them hang back and support so your low-tier recruit actually gets the kill. I just had Azura of all people finish off a beefy Cavalier boss just because I had Jakob on support.

Pretty sure I'm going to marry Jakob and Azura now AUGH GOD DAMN IT FIRE EMBLEM YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ME AGAIN.

• Like 1

So, I bought a 3DS, Super Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land on an impulse the other day. Considering it was an impulse buy, it was rather expensive... but I actually managed to get it all for a pretty decent price. 3DS and Mario Kart 7 came together, the game had no box but I got both in eBay for £55. Not bad at all. SSB4, as it's still pretty new, did cost me a pretty penny at £26, and 3D Land I picked up for £17. Not bad all in all. I'm already halfway through 3D Land since getting it only yesterday, which kinda sucks, but it's a lot of fun. I've also already unlocked all characters in SSB4 but that's probably because I cheated a little bit. I want to buy more games but the only games I'd like are all about £30 which I'm not really willing to splash out at this point.

Take a look at the Nintendo Selects range, they are under £20 each and you have a couple of good games in the selection.

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Mario Party: Island Tour
- Mario Tennis Open
- Nintendogs + Cats
- Star Fox 64 3D
- Yoshi's New Island

Also Mario Tennis, Star Fox, Zelda and 2/3 of the Nintendogs games are £13.99 in Argos.

• Like 1