The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I feel like this is a good idea in principle, but I think the execution is lacking. I wouldn't pay 60$ for a machine with a  limited 30 game selection that will never expand. 

• Like 1

Considering that with a couple of beers and a few hours of free time, I can have a Nintendo emulator with all these games and more streaming through my Steam Link to my TV, I'm not too intrigued.  Then again, I don't feel like I'm the target demographic here.  I see a lot of my friends on Facebook who never bothered past a PS1/PS2 drooling over this thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thatshortguy said:

Considering that with a couple of beers and a few hours of free time, I can have a Nintendo emulator with all these games and more streaming through my Steam Link to my TV, I'm not too intrigued.  Then again, I don't feel like I'm the target demographic here.  I see a lot of my friends on Facebook who never bothered past a PS1/PS2 drooling over this thing.

Considering I have no idea what the fuck any of that stuff you're talking about means I would just get me a mini Nintendo :P Plus they are darn cute too!

• Like 3

You can download an emulator for your computer and play pretty much any NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, etc. game as it is now and most of them are compatible with most mainstream gaming controllers. And you don't need a super computer to download it. I think the portable aspect of it is great - aka, you can bring it to a cottage or a friends or a party. I don't really see myself buying one of these though. 

• Like 2

I'll stop you on the N64 emulators, unless you want to only play Super Mario 64, its very hit and miss in regards to emulators and ROMs, some ROMs work for some emulators and not others and others don't even work at all, Blast Corps is one of those titles you can rarely run on an emulator.

Also a bit of news, Mega Man X and Mega Man 7 have been released on the 3DS Virtual Console, buy one get one half price. Along with OlliOlli being on sale for 80p and Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow with 30% off at £6.29.

Agreed that the N64 Emulators are hit or miss. I would definitely snatch up a N64 mini-console if the game selection was good enough.

It is funny that in the span of a week or so, Nintendo has absolutely changed it's misfortunes. There stock is way up, people are in love with Pokemon Go, people are excited for the mini-NES and they haven't even had to show us a glimpse of the NX. Given the excitement over Pokemon GO, it would be INSANE for the NX not to launch with a full on Pokemon console game. In the past, I have always felt like there was no need to do it. But the NX needs to have some launch title that sucks people in and there is so much attention for Pokemon at this point that they need to cash in on it for their consoles success. 

• Like 1

Depending on when the NX launches I'd argue they would need to pace themselves to avoid watering the market, we wouldent want a Guitar Hero situation to happen with Pokemon, although I would agree the best next logical step would be a console main series title than to keep rehashing the same formula with minor (yet positive) changes.

Not sure Guitar Hero is relevant here, there were more deciding factors. Mainly the additional cost of instruments but also things like tracklist. If you don't like half the songs on a game, you're likely to skip it, but chances are a fan isn't going to skip a Pokemon game because they don't like Pidgey or something. 

• Like 3

The comparison was more to do with the frequency of games being released than content, between Guitar Hero and Rock Band they put out nearly 20 unique main console games over 5 years.

Edited by TheWho87

2 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

I'll stop you on the N64 emulators, unless you want to only play Super Mario 64, its very hit and miss in regards to emulators and ROMs, some ROMs work for some emulators and not others and others don't even work at all, Blast Corps is one of those titles you can rarely run on an emulator.

Also a bit of news, Mega Man X and Mega Man 7 have been released on the 3DS Virtual Console, buy one get one half price. Along with OlliOlli being on sale for 80p and Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow with 30% off at £6.29.

I was able to finish Blast Corps and get gold (but not platinum) on every level on an emulator like 6 years ago. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron is the only game I ever had trouble with. 

49 minutes ago, TheWho87 said:

The comparison was more to do with the frequency of games being released than content, between Guitar Hero and Rock Band they put out nearly 20 unique main console games over 5 years.

Maybe. But Call of Duty releases one game per year on every single platform and is hugely successful. Pokemon would be releasing three very different games on three very different platforms in the span of a year. I don't think that would be burn out. 

• Like 2

I like the fact that more Pokemon games are being released, and I'm not even a massive fan of the series. I remember when Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon Trading Card Game and Pokemon Snap were released within a short space of time, and I thought that it was nice to see a series represented by all these very different genres of games. I'd be against the idea of releasing a traditional Pokemon game every year, but mixing the formula up is a good idea, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

For a start, you've got two separate publishers putting out games inflating your totals there. People buy Pokemon games because it's Pokemon, there's comparatively few people who bought Guitar Hero or Rock Band games, because of the franchise. Yes, there were a lot of releases in a short space of time, but there are more factors affecting the decision to buy with those games than with Pokemon - constant updates to expensive peripherals, different instruments entirely being introduced etc. Hell, people buy entire consoles for Pokemon games, have you ever heard someone say they're getting an Xbox to play Guitar Hero? 

qxDVA.gif

I give up on my argument, I was working on the logic that if you keep doing the same thing over again in a short period of time it can lead to lower interest. But then again I forgot to factor in "Nintendo".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cactus Drags said:

have you ever heard someone say they're getting an Xbox to play Guitar Hero? 

That's exactly why I bought my 360 years ago. I had a PS2 and was happy with it, but knew it was done, and I wanted to play Rock Band. So, one $1000 purchase later, and I was the proud owner of an Xbox 360 and the Rock Band Band in a Box set.

That being said, it's different with Pokemon... and it's especially different with what's been pitched as the idea here. Each Rock Band or Guitar Hero added to the established format, but were essentially the exact same game. What's been proposed for Pokemon are several different types of game, which is better for the consumer base anyways, because you'll have people who buy everything, and you'll have people who stick to certain types of Pokemon games... but if you only put out one every couple of years and they are different styles, you're alienating large portions of potential consumers.

At the end of the day, it's a business. Nintendo would be daft to not capitalize on the re-emergence of one of their hottest properties and just put out every type of Pokemon title they can think of.

• Like 1

Exactly. A pokemon game on MY, 3DS and mobile would all play different and be unique enough to avoid flooding the market. If they came out the same day - bad idea. Spreading it out over a year is wise. 

15 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

qxDVA.gif

I give up on my argument, I was working on the logic that if you keep doing the same thing over again in a short period of time it can lead to lower interest. But then again I forgot to factor in "Nintendo".

That was basically my point, the brand loyalty with Nintendo is ridiculous. You see it to a lesser extent too with franchises like Call of Duty, where I've had people come up to me and drop 50 quid on it even as they're moaning that they don't like the future setting or gadget focus, but they can't not get it as they'll have noone to play with if they don't.