The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just plonk it here. 

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/12/report-dark-souls-3-running-on-switch-from-software-considering-trilogy-rerelease/

This is a rumour that Dark Souls 1/2/3 can run on the Switch, which is actually pretty big news for a few reasons.

- They are looking to get big titles on the switch from the word go, I know they did this with a Batman game for the Wii U, but the difference here is that you can have a portable Dark Souls game, moreover a portable device capable of running a Dark Souls game. If it runs it well, this will absolutely sell the console as being good enough for me, and I imagine others.

- The original huge list of publishers/developers that was given a while back may not just be for show, but if they really get more third party support for this one, we could see a huge amount of games both new and ports come to a portable platform.

Couple both of these points with the rumour that the Switch is going to be chargable via USB-C, then you have a device that is easy to charge with external charging packs and plays a lot of different sorts of games. I have a feeling that the Switch may be a hit.

Edited by Robsturgh
Words

I am so very interested in hearing more about the Switch. As I keep insisting - it is not a day one buy for me. But if the battery life is fine and there is a set of good launch titles ... I am down. I commute an hour to work everyday on the bus and I got bored of the 3DS library a while back. The Switch would be perfect. 

That's more of a Nintendo thing and it's a disgrace that it's still happening. I don't know if they ineptly believed that no one would want it, or if they're doing their whole 'create demand' schtick but it's really disappointing to see. The local stores have line-ups 30 people long every morning for the past few weeks, and the machines just aren't coming in - when they do? Two units. Straight up, two units.

Nintendo Switch pre-orders went on sale and were done within half an hour. I did some asking around and as it turns out - nationwide in Canada? There were 5,000 units up for grabs.

I don't even.

4 minutes ago, apsham said:

That's more of a Nintendo thing and it's a disgrace that it's still happening. I don't know if they ineptly believed that no one would want it, or if they're doing their whole 'create demand' schtick but it's really disappointing to see. The local stores have line-ups 30 people long every morning for the past few weeks, and the machines just aren't coming in - when they do? Two units. Straight up, two units.

Nintendo Switch pre-orders went on sale and were done within half an hour. I did some asking around and as it turns out - nationwide in Canada? There were 5,000 units up for grabs.

I don't even.

Oh I agree Nintendo have messed up the supply and demand thing, but the retailers here have no idea how to deal with that in an adequate way.

When it was released I went down to my local Target to get one. They had 20 units and allocated all 20 to 12 people, so I missed out.
The second shipment I attempted to buy one from EB Games and their website crashed, so they rescheduled. Crashed again so rescheduled again. Crashed again but somehow managed to sell out.
Target just did another online sale as they last shipment in Australia. Was up at 4:30am and they had an online queue. Their entire website fucked up and it took people 3 1/2 hours to sellout the stock because no one could actually purchase it. I managed to get through at 5:10am but couldn't add the product to the cart because of an error and never managed to get through again.

Our retailers fucking suck.

Oh - retailers that are allowing more than one unit to multiple people when the situation like this absolutely stink - because those units are absolutely being resold somewhere else.. and that is the super unfair side effect of this. It happened with Amiibos and it's happening now with the NES Classic - they're highly sought after, so those desperate to make money off other people are the ones who are pushing the hardest to get them and hide them away until they can find the right person to pay a stupid amount of money for it.

It's nice to see that EB Games has a shitty website other places as well, the Canadian site is so full of late updates, poor information and broken images that it's damn lucky a corporate entity cannot die from embarrassment alone.

This is what I ended up getting.

http://www.8bitdo.com/nes30pro/

• 1 month later...

Jesus, I am sick of having different controller options. I especially don't want things smaller than my palm that look the opposite of ergonomic. If you want me to buy your console please just make a normal controller that does everything your wanky stuff does. I really don't need a controller that feels like it has ice cubes in it and being filled with water.