The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Sorry Srar. :(

I will say - the game is flat out amazing, looks gorgeous and plays great. I would advise staying away from as much media as possible and experiencing it first hand whenever you get the chance. It's a special kind of feeling that I haven't had in ages for a video game.

• Like 1

Any word yet on how well the Wii U version runs?

EDIT: GameInformer seems to think it's looking to be almost on par with the Switch version, at least based on the first couple of hours. That's a relief because I'm not buying a Switch yet.

This is probably the last time I'm going to say anything because I am actually 100% serious about wanting people to experience this themselves and I don't want to overhype anyone but.. this game is just so damn impressive.

I really thought that feeling like this about a game was dead and gone and what I experienced before was mostly down to age. I shouldn't be getting excited about riding into a town but I was over the top when I did here, and I shouldn't be over the top about the lack of instruction in this game but I am because I am finding and doing things that wow me because they're intuitive and well designed. This is absolutely the way I felt about Ocarina of Time when I played it way back when. I'm playing Ocarina of Time again and I couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

I'm losing my shit here. Spoilers for something BAT SHIT INSANE that just happened.

So once you're done with the general tutorial you just wander around and do missions at your leisure. True open world, go anywhere you can see - if you can survive there. I just took a boat to an island and tried a Shrine (mini-dungeon) and couldn't do it, so I went to another island. The second I landed, a voice spoke to me and said throughout my journey I have been relying on my equipment.. but it wants to see if I can manage on wits alone. On an island filled with wildlife and enemies, I've had all armor, weapons and materials taken from me and I have to find what I can there to survive and find three orbs. HOLY SHIT.

• Like 1

A bit more info on the Wii U vs Switch versions of Zelda from Digital Foundry

- Both have a frame-rate of 30fps.
- Both versions of the game offer the same content.
- On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.
- The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game's Open-Air feel.
- The physical copy of the Wii U version will require 3GB of available memory on the Wii U system or an external drive.
- Some icons, such as onscreen buttons, differ between the two versions.
- A Special Edition and Master Edition of the Wii U version are not available.

Played about 4 hours of this on the Wii U and an hour of it last night on a friends Switch.

The Switch version clearly looks a little better, but not better enough for me to justify getting one right now. I figure I'm going to skip the DLC for this, finish my Wii U backlog and then by that time I'll be ready to start a fresh playthrough on the Switch with the additional season pass of stuff.

I don't think I've had this much fun exploring since Xenoblade X, heck maybe even New Vegas. I could easily see myself pouring hundreds of hours into it.