The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

19 hours ago, Meacon said:

In my effort to avoid the Show this year and to help pass the time during my flights to and back from California, I bought RBI Baseball 19. Fun little game considering it’s only $29.99.

The first iteration that came out with the new consoles was complete bollocks. Like, undeniably awful... and that's kept me from even thinking about trying it. Same as EA's NBA Live. I'm told that I would like it better than 2K, by my buddies, but the first one to come out for this generation was terrible. To both games' credit, every year since, I've had people telling me that both are improving steadily.

But I'm loyal to The Show... and I'd prefer an old school NBA Jam type Basketball game to a sim. Which I was hoping NBA Playgrounds would be, but apparently that's not very good.

Even if you're not planning on buying it, it's hard not to appreciate the significance of its Switch release. After 22 years, and following the saga of its development from SNES to Playstation, Final Fantasy VII is at last on a Nintendo console.

On 22/03/2019 at 13:34, Meacon said:

In my effort to avoid the Show this year and to help pass the time during my flights to and back from California, I bought RBI Baseball 19. Fun little game considering it’s only $29.99.

I take this back. It sucks wee wees. I’m trading it in as soon as I get home.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I take this back. It sucks wee wees. I’m trading it in as soon as I get home.

Just out of curiosity, what made you change your opinion on it?

48 minutes ago, Owen said:

Just out of curiosity, what made you change your opinion on it?

The home run derby was fun but the controls in the actual game are clunky. The pitching is like playing the original Nintendo. The fielding is clunky and the batting is all or nothing. I either hit a home run or dribbled the ball back to the pitcher. It’s just very arcadey but not done very well. I’ll just go back to The Show since I’ve been told it has improved over last years.

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2019 at 15:34, Meacon said:

I remember playing the original RBI baseball on the NES, cartridge is still at my parents place, buried somewhere in storage I am sure haha

2 hours ago, JMarushin said:

I remember playing the original RBI baseball on the NES, cartridge is still at my parents place, buried somewhere in storage I am sure haha

Roger Clemens Baseball was king of the NES

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Roger Clemens Baseball was king of the NES

That was a good one too!

I also had Bo Jackson baseball and if you struck out Bo a cutscene would play of him snapping his bat. 

I had Bases Loaded 2 as well, it was generic but an okay game. I rented Baseball Stars a lot too.

I looooooved Baseball Stars. Being able to buy and sell players was such an incredibly cool thing to do. There was a baseball game where you could create your own logo too. I can’t remember what it was called, but I remember my dad spending hours on the Yankee logo with the bat and hat and I accidentally deleted it. 😟

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RPS said:

Kirby is the best game to get your kids into gaming. 

My son is turning three this month and is obsessed with Super Mario Party. He's just getting to where he's able to understand the controls (especially the punching of the dice block) and we've been letting him play with his own character. He asks to play every night I'm off of work lately. So much fun.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Ruki said:

My son is 2 in 19 days, he has no interest in watching me play or playing himself :(

I even tried with the new Yoshi demo!

Too young. My youngest just wants to hold the buttons and press them and she is 2. 

• Like 3