The England thread

Roy Hodgson appointed England manager by FA

Roy Hodgson has been appointed England manager on a four-year contract.

The West Brom boss succeeds Fabio Capello after talks with the Football Association on Monday and Tuesday. He will remain in charge of the Baggies for their last two games of the Premier League season. The 64-year-old will lead his country after managing 18 teams, including three national sides, during a managerial career spanning 36 years.

West Brom say Hodgson's contract at the clubs runs out on 30 June but they have agreed to release him after the final game of the season so he can prepare for Euro 2012. England open their campaign for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine against France on 11 June. The Football Association said in a statement it was "delighted" to announce Hodgson's appointment.

"Hodgson has won a total of eight league titles in a distinguished career, and coached the national teams of Switzerland, Finland and the United Arab Emirates," it added.

"Along with his vast experience of international and European football, Hodgson is the only English manager currently working in the top flight to have won the League Managers' Association manager of the year award."

Hodgson guided Switzerland to the 1994 World Cup and the side achieved a Fifa ranking of third in the world as they qualified for Euro 1996.

His former clubs include Inter Milan, Blackburn, Grasshoppers, FC Copenhagen, Fulham and Liverpool. He has also managed in Norway and Sweden, and been a member of Fifa and Uefa's technical study groups at tournaments.

More to follow.

For those who can't be arsed going to BBC website themselves.

Obviously I'll wait and see how this goes, have we got any friendlies coming up? I just hope he takes the team in the right direction or I may find myself supporting Wales or some shit. Like I've said before, all I want is for the new crop of talent to come through (and you can have a few 'old guard' in there if needs be) so that we have a chance in the future of being a team that gets to the semi's on occasion.

Four years? Jeez. I'll wait and see. He has had a great career, but other than his National run 16 years ago, there's nothing to suggest he can do big things. I will happily be proved wrong though. I hope the players give him their respect and Hodgson manages all the ego's well. Despite my reservations, I'm all behind the manager and I hope we get a good run this summer.

It was probably Schalke, I just wrote the wrong German team starting with S :P

It was really the placing of it in his wiki entry that caught my eye.

England really drove a great manager out to replace him with a rnuch lesser one. I am really interested to see if the Liverpool scenario happens again with England. It might not! But I see him going the way of Steve McClaren and when Hodgson is sacked he runs off to to the continent.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "Get Out" clause after the 2014 world cup. 4 years is a bit strange but I suppose it gives some form of stability and continuity

Poor Spurs though. If we believe that Harry being linked with the England job has affected the team (and if it didn't then it's an amazing coincidence), then it was all for nothing and have gone from a position that could have (mathematically) got them the title, to being in a position where they might only have Europa League football next year.

Good old Woy.

Flop at both Inter and Liverpool, but a shoe-in for the England job.

Only thing Hodgson is good for are jobs where the expectations are low and there is little to no pressure. As soon as the heat is on, Hodgson's sides crumble.

He didn't fit at Liverpool, it didn't work, plain and simple really. And he wasn't actually bad at Inter, a team that weren't all that brilliant at the time. He came in, managed to turn their season around a bit and get them into 7th and get a Uefa Cup place. Got them to the final of that next season and was gone from the club when Inter were in 3rd in the league, hardly a 'flop'.

Best of luck to Hodgson. I'm sure he'll get shit on regardless of how England perform at the Euro's, no real surprise there.

England really drove a great manager out to replace him with a rnuch lesser one.

Whilst Capello was once a great manager he was also a manager who didn't fit England in the slightest, it doesn't matter if you go unbeaten through umpteen qualifying games what matters are the tournament performances and under Capello at the Wolrd Cup England were woeful and nothing in the two years since then have suggested things would have been any different under him, I mean this is a guy that was getting paid 6 million a year and he couldn't even be arsed to learn the language.

I think it's a decent appointment, let's face it there are 4 or 5 teams better than us at the Euros, quarter finals are probably our maximum.

As for the experienced players like Lampard, Terry, Gerrard etc. it says so much about England that they're still in the team considering the amount of times they've underperformed as well. God the England team just depresses me too much.

Edited by Sam