The England thread

• Admin
The Liverpool lads have already been giving their reaction to Hodgson's appointment to the England job. Jonjo Shelvey has said he is a "top man and a top manager" while Steven Gerrard went for "a good man and a good manager". Something of a company line developing there.

I just can't see the more senior, experienced players listening to him.

This is a terrible attitude to take and if the players take it then they can piss off as far as I'm concerned. Roy has been around the top levels of football for decades, John Terry and Frank Lampard will respect him if they are selected. I can't see why people like them or Rooney, Scott Parker would have anything but respect for him.

And Grant Holt deserves to be in the squad, this notion that because he doesn't play for one of the big fashionable teams therefore shouldn't go is total nonsense.

I expect the media and/or fans (mostly the media) will ruin the national team and manager again. They do it every single time without fail.

He's done well this season, no doubt, but to get a game he'd have to be better than Welbeck, Sturridge, Crouch (who could go, I guess) and then when Rooney's back he'd probably struggle to get a game. Zamora might be worth a shout too?I thought there would be more striker's to choose from when I started this post >_>.

I just can't see the more senior, experienced players listening to him.

This is a terrible attitude to take and if the players take it then they can piss off as far as I'm concerned. Roy has been around the top levels of football for decades, John Terry and Frank Lampard will respect him if they are selected. I can't see why people like them or Rooney, Scott Parker would have anything but respect for him.

And Grant Holt deserves to be in the squad, this notion that because he doesn't play for one of the big fashionable teams therefore shouldn't go is total nonsense.

I expect the media and/or fans (mostly the media) will ruin the national team and manager again. They do it every single time without fail.

He's done well this season, no doubt, but to get a game he'd have to be better than Welbeck, Sturridge, Crouch (who could go, I guess) and then when Rooney's back he'd probably struggle to get a game. Zamora might be worth a shout too?I thought there would be more striker's to choose from when I started this post >_>.

Haha exactly I've found we are very much short on strikers at the minute. I would take Crouch as well, and I actually class Sturridge as a winger half the time now, the way he is played at Chelsea. He's not been as good in the last couple of months as he was at the start either.

Zamora...well I don't even consider him a candidate to make the provisional squad anymore.

Yeahh, I just started trying to pick names, and I'd also class Danny as a winger. I'd also pick Walcott over him since Sturridge is far too greedy compared to his talent. Andy Carrol would've been someone I'd have chosen over Crouch when he had a few good games for England in friendlies, which is a shame because he'd have been a good replacement for the perennial English target man.

So yeah, taking Grant Holt might be an idea, but if we play with two wingers and one striker, I can't see Rooney being shifted for him.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I'd probably take Holt. I'd take players based on form and he's scored a bunch of goals and offers something different up top. It's either him, Crouch or Carroll in my eyes - and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing Carroll. We can't take all of the same striker, we need lots of options. Zamora's a no-go surely.

But then again, I'd probably take Michael Owen because I would bet on him to score in the last minute of a game ahead of any England player :shifty:

Well it's between Crouch, Carrol and Holt really, which is why I went back on my previous point about Holt going and not getting games. It depends how much trust we can put into Carrol, because he is a threat in the air despite the lackluster season - but you can't fully blame him for that, no one at Lolverpool seem capable of scoring. Still, he's not on form so that counts against him. So it's down to Holt versus Crouch, and I'd probably lean towards Crouch because I've seen more of him and he has been reliable for England in the past.

I'd probably go for Crouch because they're the same age, it'll be the last tournament they play in (I'd guess) and he's going to get goal of the season >_>.

And he scored today. He's on fire.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

See that's why I'd take Carroll. If you're going to start clearing out the old guard and building for the future why not start with the one who's not been called up in yonks anyway? Carroll is a top striker, and I've seen enough in two seasons to know he's better all round than Crouch (he can actually score headers for one), so why not throw him in for the tournament we're not expecting owt from anyway?

No way would Germany pick Crouch over Carroll. If they were German. Obviously.

See that's why I'd take Carroll. If you're going to start clearing out the old guard and building for the future why not start with the one who's not been called up in yonks anyway? Carroll is a top striker, and I've seen enough in two seasons to know he's better all round than Crouch (he can actually score headers for one), so why not throw him in for the tournament we're not expecting owt from anyway?

Peter Crouch scored a header on Saturday.

I'd play him in one of the friendlies, definitely take him, and see how he fits into the system. Roy's got two matches to try out his tactics, so it'd probably be worth giving Carrol a go. He did do well when he was last picked.

I find the company line being towed by Gerrard and Shelvey funny......since, you know, neither of them deserve to be picked for the England team.

But you know he will be.

Of course he will, but just putting it out there.