The England thread

• Admin
Fulham coach Ray Lewington will join Roy Hodgson's England coaching staff for Euro 2012.

Former Watford boss Lewington, 55, will link up with England after the end of the Premier League season.

Hodgson said: "I'm delighted that Fulham have agreed to Ray joining the England coaching staff for the summer. I know Ray well and enjoyed working with him at Craven Cottage.

"He's a very good coach and the players will I'm sure enjoy working with him."

The new England manager added: "We're currently finalising the rest of the coaching staff but it's great to have Ray confirmed.

"I'd like to thank Fulham for agreeing to this."

Lewington's appointment is likely to come as a setback to Stuart Pearce, who has been in caretaker charge of the senior team since Fabio Capello resigned.

The former England defender had been expected to remain in place but after meeting with Hodgson at Wembley on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands it was decided Pearce should focus all his attention on preparing Team GB for the Olympic Games.

Lewington was Hodgson's assistant at Craven Cottage for three years, and was at his side when Fulham reached the 2010 Europa League final.

He is currently head of coaching at the west London club, although much of his time is spent on youth development and managing the reserve team.

Hodgson will not meet his England players until they report for a four-day training camp at the La Cala resort near Marbella, Spain, on 21 May as former boss Capello had decided to give them all a week off after the end of the Premier League season.

His first match in charge will be a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 26 May before his first experience of Wembley when England entertain Belgium on 2 June.

Hodgson has until 29 May to submit his final Euro 2012 squad to Uefa.

Noted bunch of cunts, the Sun.

Oh, you can tell the Sun are absolutely gagging for England to fail at the Euro's so they can take the piss out of Hodgson.

• Admin
BBC Sport learns that England's squad for Euro 2012 will be announced next Wednesday (16 May). The FA is also currently interviewing candidates for the role of technical director to take over some of Trevor Brooking's current responsibilities. The job will be based at St George's Park with five or six candidates from across Europe being interviewed and an appointment due at the end of May.

• Admin
England manager Roy Hodgson has appointed Birmingham goalkeeping coach Dave Watson to work alongside Ray Clemence at Euro 2012.

Former Barnsley goalkeeper Watson, 38, coached current Three Lions number one Joe Hart when he was on loan at St Andrews in the 2009-10 season.

"Dave is highly rated throughout the game and is well respected by the goalkeepers who have worked with him, importantly Joe Hart," said Hodgson.

"He will fit in well with the squad."

One-club man Watson retired from playing because of injury at the age of 28, and he worked with Oldham, Huddersfield, Northampton and Nottingham Forest before joining Birmingham in 2008.

"He has worked with a number of current English goalkeepers and has experience of working with England development teams," added Hodgson.

"I'm personally delighted to have him as part of the England staff at the tournament.

"I'd like to thank everyone at Birmingham City Football Club for agreeing to Dave working at the Euros."

Watson is the second addition to Hodgson's backroom staff, following the appointment of Fulham coach Ray Lewington.

The new England manager's first match in charge will be a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 26 May, before his first experience of Wembley when England entertain Belgium on 2 June.

He will name his squad for the summer tournament in Ukraine and Poland on Wednesday, 16 May.

England manager Roy Hodgson has appointed Birmingham goalkeeping coach Dave Watson to work alongside Ray Clemence at Euro 2012.

Former Barnsley goalkeeper Watson, 38, coached current Three Lions number one Joe Hart when he was on loan at St Andrews in the 2009-10 season.

"Dave is highly rated throughout the game and is well respected by the goalkeepers who have worked with him, importantly Joe Hart," said Hodgson.

"He will fit in well with the squad."

One-club man Watson retired from playing because of injury at the age of 28, and he worked with Oldham, Huddersfield, Northampton and Nottingham Forest before joining Birmingham in 2008.

"He has worked with a number of current English goalkeepers and has experience of working with England development teams," added Hodgson.

"I'm personally delighted to have him as part of the England staff at the tournament.

"I'd like to thank everyone at Birmingham City Football Club for agreeing to Dave working at the Euros."

Watson is the second addition to Hodgson's backroom staff, following the appointment of Fulham coach Ray Lewington.

The new England manager's first match in charge will be a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 26 May, before his first experience of Wembley when England entertain Belgium on 2 June.

He will name his squad for the summer tournament in Ukraine and Poland on Wednesday, 16 May.

And thus begins and ends Blues contribution to the Euros, unless Foster's taken along as a back up to Hart (who is a Brum legend just based off that one year on loan with us)

• Admin
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says midfielder Scott Parker's Achilles injury could rule him out of the England squad for this summer's European Championship.

Parker missed the 2-0 win over Fulham - a victory which secured Spurs a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League.

Redknapp said: "If it doesn't clear up he wouldn't be fit.

"He is going to have an injection on it on Monday and they hope with six or seven days rest it will be OK."

Redknapp added: "If he had to have an operation it would be long term, so we will have to wait and see how he is."

Parker, 31, was named England captain for the friendly against Netherlands in February.

Redknapp was able to play down fears that Kyle Walker could also be struggling for the European Championship.

The right-back was already playing with a broken toe and suffered an ankle injury in Sunday's victory but Redknapp added: "Kyle will be OK for the Euros."

New England manager Roy Hodgson is due to announce his 23-man squad for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine on Wednesday, 16 May.

Hodgson is already without Manchester United defender Chris Smalling due to a groin problem.

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is missing with a long-term ankle injury and Spurs defender Michael Dawson is also absent with an ankle problem.

Strikers Darren Bent and Danny Welbeck are expected to overcome ankle injuries, while Wayne Rooney misses the first two matches through suspension.

Sir Alex Ferguson has raised doubts over Rio Ferdinand's ability to cope with tournament football, while Hodgson must assess whether the defender can play alongside John Terry.

Goalkeeper Ben Foster, who has spent the season working under Hodgson at West Brom, has reiterated that he does not want to be considered for international selection.

• Admin
England manager Roy Hodgson has admitted that Tottenham's Scott Parker is a doubt for Euro 2012.

The 31-year-old, who has an Achilles tendon injury, was captain under caretaker Stuart Pearce, but has been replaced by Liverpool's Steven Gerrard.

Hodgson said: "Scott's had an injection which will probably take a week for us to see if it's been successful or not."

"He could still miss out, although from what I'm hearing, it won't be a problem. He's very confident."

Hodgson added: "We've got until the 29 May to finalise the squad and I may still have a call to make on that one if it's looking dubious, if there is a doubt.

"I'll have that call to make. Do I take the risk and go with a doubt and hope for the best or do I say 'I'm sorry, I've selected you in my 23 players, but now I have to remove you'?

"But I'm very confident that won't happen. I'm very optimistic. The doctor spoke to Scott Parker and Spurs on Wednesday, so I'm confident - but I can't give a guarantee."

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has been placed on stand-by and would be called into the squad if Parker was ruled out.

Manchester United's Michael Carrick, who has not played for England since May 2010, was not considered because he told the Football Association he did not want to be a bit-part player.

However, he is willing to help the national side should the need arise.

Meanwhile, Hodgson believes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 18, is ready to make his mark and insists his decision to pick the teenager is not a repeat of Sven-Goran Eriksson's inclusion of Arsenal team-mate Theo Walcott for the 2006 World Cup, when he became a passenger in Germany.

He said: "I wouldn't have chosen him if I didn't think he was ready to start games. It won't be easy for him to break into the team given the competition, as we've loaded up in the wide areas because Wayne Rooney can't play in the first two matches.

"Alex has a maturity beyond his years. I think sometimes there has to be a place in the squad for a precocious talent. It will help England's future as well."

"I can't guarantee he'll play. I'm pretty sure Sven selected Walcott for the right reasons as well but maybe when push came to shove he showed he wasn't quite up to it in training.

"I'm expecting that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will now be able to deal with that situation and won't be overawed by the Steven Gerrards, Frank Lampards, Gareth Barrys and Scott Parkers.

"I expect him to stand up to that, but I don't know. The only way I'll find out is to select him and sling him in at the deep end. Even if he doesn't swim now, he'll learn to swim in the future."

What has Hodgson been WATCHING this season? Did he see Liverpool beat Chelsea 4-1, no other 'Pool matches apart from the ones against his team and think "wow, they've got some brilliant English players!"

Actually wait, no. Downing was even crap in that game so that can't be it. Hopefully Parker pulls through so we don't have Henderson in the squad as well.