The England thread

Gerrard's been pretty terrible, already looking like a poor decision giving him the armband. Been a solid performance so far, though Norway do look awful at the back. Looking forward to seeing some subs and maybe for Adam Johnson to show why he should've been picked and for Ox to get an England cap under his belt.

• Admin
Gareth Barry is expected to undergo a scan on a groin injury on Sunday as he emerges as a serious injury concern ahead of England's Euro 2012 campaign.

Manchester City midfielder Barry limped off after coming on as a half-time substitute as Roy Hodgson started his reign as England manager with their first win in 32 years against Norway in Oslo.

Hodgson's pleasure at starting with a 1-0 victory was marred by the problem suffered by Barry - and which may require him to draft in a replacement before Tuesday's final deadline to name his squad for Poland and Ukraine.

"I'm not prepared to say it is serious," said Hodgson. "But it is certainly going to dominate our attention and we don't have a lot of time if the scan shows there is something more than minor.

"I spoke to Gareth and he told me 'I think I need a scan'. Something happened during the course of the game and now we need to see how it is."

Hodgson refused to be drawn on whether Liverpool's Jordan Henderson, who is on stand-by and replaced Barry when he was taken off, would automatically step up into the squad.

Alternatively, the recently appointed boss may decide to promote Everton defender Phil Jagielka, who played 90 minutes against Norway, from his back-up list.

Hodgson was satisfied with Scott Parker, who played for almost an hour as he recovers from an Achilles injury, while Manchester United pair Phil Jones and goalscorer Ashley Young were substituted as a precaution after feeling tight hamstrings.

The England manager added: "I am pleased with this result. I am not prepared to be critical of the team in any way but I am also aware it is a work in progress. After only three days with the team we have come here and given a more than reasonable performance at a place where we know it is very difficult to get a result."

Steven Gerrard felt the anger of Norway's supporters after a first-half tackle that resulted in Tom Hogli being taken off injured - but Hodgson defended the England captain.

He said: "I thought it was a fair tackle. There was certainly no intention to injure the player and there was no question of his studs being up. I thought it was a very strong and brave tackle and one I hope my players are going to be putting in in the Euros."

Hopefully he'll be ok. He's had a good season.

The main thing was the players getting to know Roy's system and work together as the new team he had put together, and it was also about getting game time. Same will go for next weeks game. The result really isn't a big thing with these pre-tournament warm-up games.

It wasn't important to win but it was a good incentive to try and keep a bit of belief in the team with a win and keep the waiting media of their backs a bit. Also good to see Young got the goal as it will be someone like him who needs to take their chances come the tournament with no Rooney up front for the first two games, someone like Young is where you'd figure we'd get the goals.

Prediction: Hazard will have a quiet game and the entire English media (or at the very least ITV pundits) will fall over themselves to say "LOL £32M" in as many different ways as they can manage.

Shame Lukaku, Courtois and De Bruyne aren't involved...in the starting line-up at least.

Yes, my main interest in this game is Chelsea-players-who-haven't-played-for-Chelsea-yet. :shifty: (and Lukaku)

Awesome!!

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain becomes the youngest player in the starting line-up for England since Micah Richards against Holland in November 2006. Seven changes in all for England.

And apparently Vincent Kompany has suffered an injury in the warm-up.

Hope it's nothing more serious than something that needs 24 hours rest :shifty:. Anyone seen the Lineker/Roy short interview? Roy kinda won me over a little bit more with that, seems like a really down to earth guy.