The England thread

• Admin
England 1-0 Belgium:

Attempts on goal 11-19
Shot on target 1-6
Passes 375-564
Pass accuracy 82%-88%
Possession 41%-59%[/code]

A new defensive England? I mean, those tactics worked alright for Greece in 2004? Who knows really...

Also...

John Terry having precautionary scan on hamstring.

Sent: 2 Jun 2012 19:39

Hodgson calls Terry hamstring a "slight" worry. But says a "distinct possibility" that Cahill has fractured his jaw which would rule him out

sent via TweetDeck

On Twitter:

If one of the centre halves are out I wouldn't take another, we already bolstered their numbers with Jags. I'd probably go begging Carrick or Scholes to play, because that central midfield is threadbare already, an injury would kill us.

France @ 17/10 is looking like free money.

To beat England, advance from groups or win?

Beat England.

In the Witches by Roald Dahl the Norwegian witch pronounced England as "Inkland". Sometimes I like to do that because it's funny and it reminds me of the book. It was a good book. My mum got me a copy of it from her school back when she was an English teacher. It was a faulty copy, it was bound wrongly - for some reason the actual book was upside down relative to the hardback cover. My mum said that was because the witches cast a spell on it.

Inkland.

If either Terry or Cahill have to leave, it's got to be between Ferdinand or Carrick. Carrick doesn't want to be a bit-part player, but with how injuries are lining up, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. I just feel the defensive coverage is sufficient, whilst if we had to put Jordan Henderson or Stewart Downing on as starters, I'd want to cry.

• Admin
Defenders Gary Cahill and John Terry should be fit for England's Euro 2012 campaign, FA Director of Football Development Sir Trevor Brooking says.

Cahill underwent a scan amid fears he fractured his jaw in a collision with England keeper Joe Hart in Saturday's 1-0 friendly win over Belgium.

"The feedback is we're hoping his jaw is not cracked," Brooking said.

On John Terry's hamstring injury Brooking added: "The medical staff are hopeful he will be able to stay."

England manager Roy Hodgson has already lost to injury keeper John Ruddy (fractured finger) as well as midfielders Gareth Barry (abdomen) and Frank Lampard (thigh) from his original 23-man squad.

But Brooking told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme he is confident Chelsea duo Cahill and Terry will be fit enough to board the place to Poland and Ukraine later this week.

Cahill, 26, was hurt when Belgium striker Dries Mertens shoved him into Hart in the game at Wembley.

Terry, who won his 73rd cap, had complained of a tight hamstring muscle, which may have been due to fatigue after a week of intensive training.

Hodgson said it was a necessary precaution to send him for a scan.

England midfielder James Milner refused to condemn Belgium's Mertens for the unnecessary push on Cahill.

"The lad pushed him, didn't really need to do it. I don't think he meant to injure him," said Milner.

"I think he was going for the ball and just tried to maybe get away with one and nick a goal and gave him a little shove."

In the Witches by Roald Dahl the Norwegian witch pronounced England as "Inkland". Sometimes I like to do that because it's funny and it reminds me of the book. It was a good book. My mum got me a copy of it from her school back when she was an English teacher. It was a faulty copy, it was bound wrongly - for some reason the actual book was upside down relative to the hardback cover. My mum said that was because the witches cast a spell on it.

Inkland.

Bless.

Gary Cahill should be fit for England's Euro 2012 campaign, FA Director of Football Development Sir Trevor Brooking has told BBC Sport.

Cahill underwent a scan amid fears he fractured his jaw in a collision with England keeper Joe Hart in Saturday's 1-0 friendly win over Belgium.

"The feedback is we're hoping his jaw is not cracked," said Brooking.

On John Terry's hamstring injury, Brooking added: "The medical staff are hopeful he will be able to stay."

The headline doesn't match the quote at all.