The England thread

Yeah Joey Barton is a really good player. That's why so many people who, let's face it, know far more about football than anyone here have been prepared to take a risk on him time and time again.

To be fair the 'many people' are Big Sam who thought he could sort him out and get him back to early Man City form, and Neil Warnock (I think, QPRs management merry go round is complex) who thought he'd do a job in a flirting with relegation team. That's not particularly grounds for being a really good player.

Yet both man have had decades of work within football, so they can't be that clueless.

I said it when he orignally tweeted it, I agree with him. I'd definitey have him in over Henderson and he does have some obvious natural talent. But he's a bit of a twat and a liability. It's a shame, really. Would be a good back-up to have.

Joey Barton IS better than Henderson and would probably be a better option to call up as a squad player, but part of the reason why England are fun to get behind this tournament is because there seems to be a definitive lack of cuntish and overhyped players in this squad. Lampard isn't there, Ferdinand isn't there, Barton isn't there, Rooney for the most part isn't there... there's actually a pretty good balance going for once.

Joey Barton IS better than Henderson and would probably be a better option to call up as a squad player, but part of the reason why England are fun to get behind this tournament is because there seems to be a definitive lack of cuntish and overhyped players in this squad. Lampard isn't there, Ferdinand isn't there, Barton isn't there, Rooney for the most part isn't there... there's actually a pretty good balance going for once.

Yet we have Terry, Rooney, Cole and Gerrard. All more cuntish and/or overhyped than Lampard.

Barton is arguably not a better option than Henderson as a squad player, because he is liable to get sent off and banned within moments of coming on. Then, when England lose and he doesn't get a medal, he can copy and paste a quote into his twitter feed saying that "All possessions are fleeting" or some such pish.

When did this view that Lampard is a twat become prevalent? I can't think of a single reason why he gets considered as bad or worse than the likes of Cole, Terry or Gerrard.

I think he just fits in a group of senior players at some clubs where they seem to be all powerful. Sort of player/manager/chief executive/referee hybrids - Liverpool have Carragher and Gerrard, Man Utd had Gary Neville and Roy Keane, Chelsea have Cole and Terry with Lampard lumped in as well.

I thought he was a complete prick with the way he handled the AVB situation. Until then it was just 'cos he played for Chelsea and we refused to drop either him or Gerrard for years when it was clear they couldn't play together.

That seems like an extremely poor reason for hating somebody, but that might just be me. The AVB stuff still confuses me somewhat.

I thought he was a complete prick with the way he handled the AVB situation. Until then it was just 'cos he played for Chelsea and we refused to drop either him or Gerrard for years when it was clear they couldn't play together.

That seems like an extremely poor reason for hating somebody, but that might just be me. The AVB stuff still confuses me somewhat.

I didn't dislike him for it, but it was just annoying that we refused to drop a player who clearly wasn't playing very well at the time. I think maybe World Cup 2006?

It also includes subsequent Newcastle managers who used him as a major player and Mark Hughes who retained him as captain.

Even if that were 100% correct (which it isn't, between injury, suspension and jailtime he only Newcastle manager who really got to use him consistently was Chris Hughton halfway through the Championship season. He then moved to right wing in the Premiership where he admittedly did well and stayed there for Pardew) it feels like a semantic argument of icon/legend/very good player. For that whole time he was a lower midtable midfielder at best, hardly 'very good' barring the few months pinging crosses at Andy Carroll. I've obviously watched QPR less but he's certainly rewarded Hughes for that loyalty.

Could he make the England squad now, while Lampard, Barry, Wilshere, Cleverley, Rodwell are either injured or have been, and Carrick and Scholes aren't interested? Maybe, but he certainly wouldn't walk into the team. Footballing wise he's just another English midfielder and certainly not international class, and that's ignoring the on and off field disciplinary issues which is a mental thing to do.

Yeah Joey Barton is a really good player. That's why so many people who, let's face it, know far more about football than anyone here have been prepared to take a risk on him time and time again.

To be fair the 'many people' are Big Sam who thought he could sort him out and get him back to early Man City form, and Neil Warnock (I think, QPRs management merry go round is complex) who thought he'd do a job in a flirting with relegation team. That's not particularly grounds for being a really good player.

Yet both man have had decades of work within football, so they can't be that clueless.

I can't see anywhere in my post where I suggested they were. Sam gambled and lost on his Man City potential, while Warnock picked up a solid lower midtable midfielder on a free.