The England thread

See that's why I'd take Carroll. If you're going to start clearing out the old guard and building for the future why not start with the one who's not been called up in yonks anyway? Carroll is a top striker, and I've seen enough in two seasons to know he's better all round than Crouch (he can actually score headers for one), so why not throw him in for the tournament we're not expecting owt from anyway?

No way would Germany pick Crouch over Carroll. If they were German. Obviously.

Peter Crouch scored a header on Saturday.

Alan Smith scored last week, I'm not taking him either.

See that's why I'd take Carroll. If you're going to start clearing out the old guard and building for the future why not start with the one who's not been called up in yonks anyway? Carroll is a top striker, and I've seen enough in two seasons to know he's better all round than Crouch (he can actually score headers for one), so why not throw him in for the tournament we're not expecting owt from anyway?

But I wasn't saying that. You said that Crouch can't score headers, when he plainly can. I seem to remember Andy Carroll missing a fair number of good-to-excellent headed chances in recent matches. I don't see what Carroll brings to the table that Crouch doesn't right now. 18 months ago, sure, but not at the moment.

But I wasn't saying that. You said that Crouch can't score headers, when he plainly can. I seem to remember Andy Carroll missing a fair number of good-to-excellent headed chances in recent matches. I don't see what Carroll brings to the table that Crouch doesn't right now. 18 months ago, sure, but not at the moment.

One swallow does not a summer make though. As much as I actually like Crouch, he isn't actually the best in the world at scoring headers, certainly not for someone of his size, and hasn't been throughout his career. Knockons, heading back across the box, great, but actual headers on goal? Watch the way Carroll attacks aerial balls and tell me Crouch has ever done that. He's also got 'excellent feet for a big man', while Carroll has good feet full stop.

Obviously Crouch has got the experience advantage, and recently scored a screamer to get him back in the public eye while Carrolls off form, but why not take the gamble and get a young player in early rather than taking a player in his 30's who we're still debating whether he can cut it against decent teams. I wouldn't begrudge Crouchy going, but why not look forward while we've nothing to lose?

Edited by Mackem Til I Die

One swallow does not a summer make though. As much as I actually like Crouch, he isn't actually the best in the world at scoring headers, certainly not for someone of his size, and hasn't been throughout his career. Knockons, heading back across the box, great, but actual headers on goal? Watch the way Carroll attacks aerial balls and tell me Crouch has ever done that. He's also got 'excellent feet for a big man', while Carroll has good feet full stop.

Obviously Crouch has got the experience advantage, and recently scored a screamer to get him back in the public eye while Carrolls off form, but why not take the gamble and get a young player in early rather than taking a player in his 30's who we're still debating whether he can cut it against decent teams. I wouldn't begrudge Crouchy going, but why not look forward while we've nothing to lose?

This is the best argument for taking Carrol really. And I'm tempted to go with it simply because there aren't great expectations on England (Beyond qualifying, I'd be pissed if we didn't make it past the group stages). And at the international level, you'd think he'd be getting better service than he does for Liverpool. Then again, who you play up front (besides Rooney) depends entirely on who you play in support. If its Sturridge and, errrrm, Johnson, you won't get as much service from them as you would from, say, Walcott and Ashley Young.

Also, if Young gets picked, we need to make sure we have someone (like Lampard) in the team to score Penalty's. This is a must :shifty:.

• Like 2

Whilst I understand that point, Carroll has done nothing to prove he is worth taking outside of costing £35million.

Much as I agree, his first cap came before that transfer, and given that his competition is basically made up of 30 something journeymen (Zamora, Holt etc) I honestly feel he's worth the gamble.

I'd take Holt over everybody tbh.

Might as well play someone out of his level rather than play an absolute donkey who is more likely to see red than score a goal.

Stop being jealous. You made £35m on that donkey.

• Like 1

Yeah I see what you're saying Colly, but I don't want the squad to just be littered with inexperienced youngsters because it won't do them much good. With the strikers I'd rather take more experienced options because up front there really is no room to have an off game/tournament and it go unnoticed. We'll go out in the group stage if we stick Carroll up front and he doesn't deliver. That's no good, nor has he looked much like being any good in that situation this season.

When are they never in trouble?

And with Roy Hodgson. I wish him the best of luck as England Manager. But he's not the person I wanted to see with the job. And I really don't rate him much as a manager. But only time will tell.

And I hope he finds a better person to be England Captain than John Terry.

"Bwing on the Euwos, We'll see you in Ukwaine against Fwance" was what they had.

The FA said this.

With regard to the above, FA Chairman David Bernstein said: “We are delighted at the media response to Roy’s appointment but are disappointed with the headline in The Sun, which we consider is in poor taste and disrespectful.”

The Sun & headlines that are in poor taste and disrespectful?!?! Never seen that before. <_<