General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 27/12/2019 at 10:28, Colly said:

Because they can't afford to get Charlie Brooker to make new ones, the BBC have compiled together a 90 minute Best of 2010-15 Wipe to show on Monday. Just to happily remind us about when things were marginally less bleak.

I hate Black Mirror, and I've never even watched it. I'm just bitter that its success means that Charlie Brooker doesn't have time to make "Wipe" shows any more.

Continuing my catch-up of 2019 TV, Stranger Things season 3 has a lot of really effective horror elements but most of the characters are as unlikable as they've ever been, and most of the ones who aren't are clustered together so there's no real balance. You can explain some of it because the teens who are annoying are annoying in an authentically teenage way, but there's no excuse for how exhausting the Hopper/Joyce corner of the plot is.

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Continuing my catch-up of 2019 TV, Stranger Things season 3 has a lot of really effective horror elements but most of the characters are as unlikable as they've ever been, and most of the ones who aren't are clustered together so there's no real balance. You can explain some of it because the teens who are annoying are annoying in an authentically teenage way, but there's no excuse for how exhausting the Hopper/Joyce corner of the plot is.

Robin is tremendous, though. The Dustin/Steve/Robin triumvirate is the best character combination this show's ever put out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Robin is tremendous, though. The Dustin/Steve/Robin triumvirate is the best character combination this show's ever put out.

Robin was my MVP of the season with an honorable mention to Erica. And of course sweet Alexei.

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

More of you should have joined me in voting for Robin as Best New Character in the Best of 2019 thread by the sounds of it :shifty:

I added her to my honorable mentions! Honestly this was an absurdly strong year for new characters.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LUKrampusIE said:

Everyone seems to be watching The Witcher, even though it is getting awful reviews.

Is it worth it?

Yes. I think the reviews are lower because of how the season is structured where the payoff for a lot of it doesn't come until the last couple of episodes (that weren't available for review). 

It's not groundbreaking but it's a fun fantasy series. 

Edited by livid

I've watched the first 2 episodes so far, I haven't read the books or played the games so it's a lot of world building that goes over my head sometimes but I'll stick with it. The thing that's really bothering me most tbh is the weird contact lens/cgi used on every bodies eyes. Sometimes Geralt looks very dead eyed and it's weird as fuck.

5 hours ago, LUKrampusIE said:

Everyone seems to be watching The Witcher, even though it is getting awful reviews.

Is it worth it?

Yes. I don't know where the bad reviews are coming from but most fan reviews I've seen seem to love it. Just keep in mind that it is the first season and is about building the world and it really comes together in the last 2 or 3 episodes. I enjoyed it enough to get through all 8 episodes in 3 sittings which is unusual for me. It is a little slow paced in parts, though.

16 hours ago, LUKrampusIE said:

Is it worth it?

It was made for fans of the book.

I'm loving it, some of the CGI is a bit ropey but they have some nice nods to the game "cmon, Roach" and "winds howling".

15 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

Yes. I don't know where the bad reviews are coming from but most fan reviews I've seen seem to love it.

I think critics might have only been given the first two episodes in advance, and from what I can tell from only having watched the first three episodes thusfar I think a lot of stuff in those episodes don't really work as well as a standalone thing rather than as a part of a whole.

14 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I think critics might have only been given the first two episodes in advance, and from what I can tell from only having watched the first three episodes thusfar I think a lot of stuff in those episodes don't really work as well as a standalone thing rather than as a part of a whole.

I know that entertainment literally said they only saw the first two episodes and the final two and decided to grade it a '0' because they didn't understand the series (because they didn't bother to watch the other episodes.

I think the series is not without flaws, because the episodic nature of the first part of the season will chase people off, as will the differences in timelines going on. But I feel they are a necessity to build into the second season. And the episodes to a good job in explaining all the main characters motivations and personal morals. Also, the fact it's literally based off the first novel which is a collection of short stories itself made it easier to build off that.

I feel it does a lot more good than it does things bad, stuff like effects and CG can be improved into season 2 now that the infrastructure has been built for the future. And the casting of Cavill as Geralt is a revelation all on its own.

27 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I know that entertainment literally said they only saw the first two episodes and the final two and decided to grade it a '0' because they didn't understand the series (because they didn't bother to watch the other episodes.

I think the series is not without flaws, because the episodic nature of the first part of the season will chase people off, as will the differences in timelines going on. But I feel they are a necessity to build into the second season. And the episodes to a good job in explaining all the main characters motivations and personal morals. Also, the fact it's literally based off the first novel which is a collection of short stories itself made it easier to build off that.

I feel it does a lot more good than it does things bad, stuff like effects and CG can be improved into season 2 now that the infrastructure has been built for the future. And the casting of Cavill as Geralt is a revelation all on its own.

I think the reason we had the two separate timelines is because of the way they are basing it off the first book. It's pretty much all Geralt and Yen with a few other bits. It's world building for the rest of the books. The Ciri storyline was added so she wouldn't be a new character in series two. And she is literally the most important character.

As for Cavil as Geralt... "Fuck".

Some of the CGI was a bit wank but I can let that go.

And my mate at work said something interesting about the dialogue, mostly in the books, does the fact it was translated into English seem to come across? And since the writer is Polish a lot of the ideas and concepts are going to be based on his own experience. Can definitely get Nazi and Communist occupation vibes.

16 hours ago, C-MIL said:

Is it based on the movie?

No, it's a reality show where people live in individual apartments and only communicate through social media. Every few episodes, they rank each other. The two highest ranked people become "Influencers" and choose one of the other six to "Block" (meaning they are eliminated and move out of their apartment). When someone is eliminated, a new person joins The Circle. After a few weeks, the final four or five do a final ranking and the winner earns a cash prize.

The fun of the game is that some people are being themselves and some people are catfishing. They play all sorts of games that sometimes trip people up (like a person who is old knowing a younger pop band). It's fun.