2010 Winter Olympics

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The fact this is even an issue is fucking retarded. People drink all the time after winning sports events, even the Penguins had champagne on the ice after winning the Cup last year. Jon Montgomery was chugging a pitcher of beer while walking the street after his Gold.

This is clearly a double standard against the women. I'm glad they came out to celebrate on their own terms and its a shame some AP reporter had a stick so far up his ass he was offended by it.

It's just not something done at the olympics. You can't compare it to the sports leagues. I agree completely that a Mens team would probably have got away with it but that doesn't make it right. I didn't see the Monthomery incident so I can't speak about it but if it was away from

the site it is a completely different scenario and not relevant. Was an underage Penguin photographed drinking in a Pens uniform? I'm trying to remember who it was but it did happen recently in one of the pro leagues where a couple of the underage players stayed out of the post game drinking until after the media was gone.

The media is not to blame here. Hockey Canada did the right thing by issuing an apology and moving on. The reporter didn't go stalk Poulin or the team to get a story.

Moving on, as much as a US/Canada final would be great for NHL/NBC it is hard for me to root against a team that has Teemu Selanne. Wouldn't it be great though if the Gold Medal race did come down to the hockey game on Sunday?

What exactly about drinking beer in public violates the Olympic spirit? Why does the IOC have no problem with Heineken sponsoring the Holland House or the Molson Canadian Hockey House? Or the bar at the Irish House? Or the never ending beer sponsorship and advertisements being run? If they were just making a stink about Poulin drinking a month ahead of becoming legal then fine. But it's this moral grandstanding as if the Olympics are above an industry that amounts to major sponsorship dollars for various Olympic committees to fund the training of athletes around the world. It's as if Olympians are somehow above the spectators they're encouraging to lubricate themselves at any number of Olympic committee sponsored events. Jeeze, I always thought the allure of the Olympics was seeing these amateur athletes who don't get the publicity or larger than life hype the pro's do competing and setting an example for the nation at home cheering them on. I was unaware that consuming an entirely legal product in a licensed venue somehow violated that.

• Like 4

Jordan Staal was drinking when he won the Stanley Cup. He was 20. The drinking age was 21.

When did we become a nation of bleeding hearts again? It's pathetic. Be proud of the girls for the win instead of ripping on them for something every single one of us would have done if we were in their shoes.

• Like 1

...what does having a problem with underage drinking have to do with being a bleeding heart?

I mean, I know you're not that intelligent Clawson, but try and avoid throwing random political terms you don't understand into sentences just because you think they can be used as an insult. You fucking Communist.

• Like 1

Thanks for noticing Sean. ^_^

Bleeding hearts isn't a strict political term anyways.

This whole thing shouldn't be an issue because it happened after all the fans left, it was basically a private celebration and if a journalist didn't run off to the IOC we wouldn't be having any hysteria about this.

You can't have a private celebration in public. Being in public renders the private part logistically impossible.

• Like 1

Thanks for noticing Sean. ^_^

Bleeding hearts isn't a strict political term anyways.

This whole thing shouldn't be an issue because it happened after all the fans left, it was basically a private celebration and if a journalist didn't run off to the IOC we wouldn't be having any hysteria about this.

A private celebration in a building with hundreds of reporters still there? That's what the locker room is for. Is Team Canada sponsored by Molson? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there was a deal in place and that will get into a commercial somewhere.

Edit: Wow, that didn't take long. 1-0 USA....and look at that unlike the quarterfinals all of the US is getting this game live.

Edit 2: Wow...4-0. Horrible move not to pull him after 3. Second horrible coaching decision this week.

Edited by sahyder1

Or you know they had to tape Molson Canadian on top of the champage bottles so they wouldn't get in trouble with the sponser. Booze is everywhere these Olympics as Beaty pointed out. It's asinine to make a big deal out of this.

It's also asinine that we're debating a minor case of underage drinking over what was an impressive Gold Medal victory. Shannon Sazabados was fucking amazing.

Edited by Clawson

I've read more about it and thought about it, and I am now not bothered by the women celebrating on the ice. I guess if Team Canada can do it in 1972 after beating Russia, Team Canada can do it in 2010 after beating the US.

Guest Sideshow MPH

There is clearly no more parity in men's hockey, if even the once-mighty Russians can be humbled 8-3 in a game where they give it their all. Let's just abolish the event.

Klassen had only once been a part of the womens pursuit team on the world cup circuit this year and Canada had its worst showing of the year. It would have been needlessly sentimental to not go with Schussler. Klassen's had a great career, but her knees are shot. Disappointing result nonetheless. Christine Nesbitt was capable of a Klassen type Olympics, but she'll have to settle for one medal. Hope Denny Morrison can get it together and help the Canadian men medal and at least slightly improve on our disappointing 4 medals in long track so far.

Guest Sideshow MPH

There's something funny about seeing curling be so popular for a few weeks, the King and Queen of Sweden (?!?) in attendance...and then a commercial informing you that the World Championships this year will be in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.