UFC News and Discussion Thread

I didn't see how Akiyama won that first round at all.

Really? That's the only round I scored for Akiyama. I had it 29-28 Belcher but it was close enough I could see 29-28 Sexyama, but that 30-27 --- wow.

Greg Jackson is awesome. He sounds more like a motivational coach than a trainer!

He is another "Zen" master. He's into philosophy and that sort of thing big time. He is big into the mental aspects.

It doesn't help my dislike of him that he always enters to 'Enter Sandman' though

Dana picked the music.

Edited by ACCBiggz

also lol@slogger for being surprised by an 'Ole' chant for a Quebecker.
I just didn't see it coming at a UFC event, Much less in an event outside of the UK.

But GSP being French/Canadian makes it make sense now.

Good night of fights.

I enjoyed Akiyama/Belcher but Akiyama only one round one of that fight and Belcher got robbed.

Henderson knocking Bisping the fuck out was glorious.

GSP is just unstoppable. No one is going to stop him at 170. Maybe at 185 with Silva, but at 185? Not even close. Kampmann or Swick won't be able to offer much in the way of a challenge for GSP.

And what can be said about the dominance of Brock Lesnar? Awesome. Mir's face was just gross. Loved Lesnar's promo after the fight. Oh, and the "Buffer 360" looked stupid.

And good performance by Jon Fitch.

Hahaha CD Dollaway gets submitted again. I love it. I hate that guy so much. It was wonderful to watch, great job by Lawlor. According to Meltzer, Lawlor was in Deep South but WWE didn't pick him up so he went into MMA, interesting.

Edited by Fitzy

My friend made the observation that Dan Henderson looks like Randy Orton with down syndrome.

Thought I would add to the discussion.

EDIT: And to add to what Biggz is saying, Akiyama was in a pretty bad way, Belcher should have just finished him off and not left it up to the judges.

Edited by KeepinThatFunkAliveV4

I enjoyed Akiyama/Belcher but Akiyama only one round one of that fight and Belcher got robbed.

He didn't get robbed. Robbed is something I would use for a clear bad decision. Akiyama vs. Belcher was a very close fight - I had 29-28 Belcher, but as I sat there I said I could see it 29-28 Akiyama. It was a close fight but definitely not a robbery.

I think the Akiyama deal mostly got that much atention because of the USA Bonus for Belcher and because of Rogan buying into that... issent the first guy he screamed ROBBED at like an Ideot.

Akiyama had a solid fight and he did not move backwards all the time... it was the fight of the night to me, very close but a deserved winner.

Great event! Here we go!

Akiyama/Belcher - I'm sorry, but Belcher DID get robbed. I had him as winning every round, and he fucked up Akiyama's face real good. It was a great fight, but a horrible decision.

Henderson/Bisping - Yeah, Henderson is washed up alright! I'm glad this fight turned out the way it did because Bisping does have skills, he just needs to humble himself. The fact is, Bisping can get the job done, but he has an overinflated sense of self worth from getting the job done various times before. His first KO comes at the hands of the most experienced fighter he has been in a ring with and that should humble him greatly. Now that Bisping is getting his rise in the ranks he's seeing how tough things at the top can be and how he needs to recognize it or he'll just get lambasted just like last night.

Heel Turn I believe posted this, but it needs to post again for emphasis cause it was awesome:

hendowns5cf.gif

As for the discussion earlier about that last punch after the knockout punch, if you guys will look at just about every fight that ends in KO you'll see how fighters are trained to jump at any fighter that goes down from a punch or kick. It's an insurance policy more so than a "revenge punch" as Rogan recklessly put it. He should know better.

GSP/Alves - I don't get why anyone hates GSP? He's probably the best fighter in the UFC right now. The guy has everything and then some to become a true legend in the sport, and I'm sure he's already solidified a future HOF spot. The guy is JUST THAT GOOD. Alves put up probably the best defensive fight anyone has put on GSP. I'd love to see a rematch. And yes, Greg Jackson is a fantastic trainer and I'm sure GSP can attribute a lot of his success to Jackson.

Mir/Lesnar - Wow. There's no denying Lesnar is a monster, that's just about all that can be said about the man. He has a great heel shtick that's putting asses in the seats to see just who can take the man down. Mir spoke on his strategy after the fight, and I think that's a horrible way of looking at things. A stand up fight against a man that can cream your face with his meat fists is not the way to go, especially when you have such a honed submission game. I know it's hard to take such a big man down, but that's what Mir should've concentrated on. I can't wait for the rubber match.

As for Brock's next opponent? My money is on Cain Velasquez. Velasquez is a great wrestler and he's a big guy. Brock will probably win the fight, but Velasquez probably won't make it as easy for him as others may think.

Fitch/Thiago - Whenever Fitch wasn't in an almost-guillotine, he was dominating the fight. A good decision and a decent fight. Fitch was a little off his game as he had some great opportunities to force the tap out, but never seemed to quite get it wrapped up. Then again, Thiago is a slick customer. I expect big things for Fitch to come.

The way I saw it, Akiyama clearly won the second, Belcher eeked out the first, but he didn't do enough in the third to clinch a decision.

Whatever judge scored that fight 30-27 was an idiot, but Belcher was hardly robbed. The only thing he should've won last night was "Worst Tattoo".

As for the discussion earlier about that last punch after the knockout punch, if you guys will look at just about every fight that ends in KO you'll see how fighters are trained to jump at any fighter that goes down from a punch or kick. It's an insurance policy more so than a "revenge punch" as Rogan recklessly put it. He should know better.

But Henderson kinda said the same thing. :P Henderson said something to the effect of "I usually don't do that when I know they are out, but I wanted to shut him up just for a little bit." But I had no problem with it as it happens, like you said, in pretty much every fight. You continue until the referee pulls you off.

And EndOfAnEra, while Bloated Johnny Cash is an awful tattoo, Lesnar's penissword is still the worst tattoo ever.

Edited by Fitzy

To fuel the fire even more:

Jordan Breen Scores the round 10-9 Akiyama (30-27 Akiyama).

TJ De Santis Scores the round 10-9 Belcher (29-28 Akiyama).

Mike Fridley Scores the round 10-9 Akiyama (29-28 Akiyama).

Not one of them scored the first for Akiyama which in the house I was in we all scored the first for Sexyama. That tells you how close the entire fight was. Just because the guy you thought won ended up losing, doesn't mean it's a robbery. It was too close to deem as such.

Edited by ACCBiggz

But Henderson kinda said the same thing. :P Henderson said something to the effect of "I usually don't do that when I know they are out, but I wanted to shut him up just for a little bit." But I had no problem with it as it happens, like you said, in pretty much every fight. You continue until the referee pulls you off.

Like i was just telling Rocksta. Henderson can say all he wants about it being a revenge punch to sound badass, but there was no hesitation. His instincts told him to jump on Bisping and that's what he did. It's okay, though, cause saying it does make him more badass. :shifty:

To fuel the fire even more:

Jordan Breen Scores the round 10-9 Akiyama (30-27 Akiyama).

TJ De Santis Scores the round 10-9 Belcher (29-28 Akiyama).

Mike Fridley Scores the round 10-9 Akiyama (29-28 Akiyama).

Not one of them scored the first for Akiyama which in the house I was in we all scored the first for Sexyama. That tells you how close the entire fight was. Just because the guy you thought won ended up losing, doesn't mean it's a robbery. It was too close to deem as such.

No, I'm not saying that he was robbed cause I thought he won, I'm saying because I know he won. There's a difference.

The only way to know that someone's won is to have them KO, TKO or Submit their opponent.

How many times has it been said that it's dangerous to leave a fight in the judges hands? You just can't do it, and if you do, it's your fault for not finishing the fight. Belcher had him hurt, he should have unloaded more heavily in the third round. He didn't, and that's his fault.