UFC News and Discussion Thread

Just re-watched Akiyama vs. Belcher and I have indeed changed my mind:

First Round: Really thought Akiyama landed the better shots in that round, then with the knockdown by Belcher I swung it back to his favor, but the takedown by Akiyama put the round back to him. Had he not gotten the takedown the round was close enough I thought Belcher could get it, but the takedown clinched it. Still feel the same about that round.

Second Round: This is the round I changed my opinion on. After watching it I really don't see how I gave it to Belcher on Saturday night. Akiyama controlled the fight in this round. Crisp striking, nice power shots, the takedown. Belcher tried to steal the round in the final minute with the leg kicks accumulating though.

Third Round: Another CLOSE round. Closer than the first, in my opinion. Belcher really controlled this round with the jab and landed a plethora of significant leg kicks and two nice body punches. However, Akiyama knocked Belcher down (sort of the same as Belcher in the first - a clean shot that dropped the other, but they instantly rebounded up) and then had a nice takedown to make the round close as he also had some decent punches. But I feel Belcher earned it with those leg kicks.

10-9 Akiyama

10-9 Akiyama

10-9 Belcher

29-28 for your winner: Yoshihiro Akiyama

Didn't seem like a finger poke to me, just repeated punches to the same spot. Belcher just kept targeting the eye and landing them all it seemed.

Beginning of the third round. There wasn't "repeated" punches and it wasn't an eye poke. A clean jab to the eye. It may have actually be a peice of the glove that caused it from the strike, as in the tip of one of the finger holes or something like that.

AFAIK the person that scored the fight 30 - 27 is some girl that caused scorecard trubble once before.

It was Adalai Byrd. (sp?)

Edited by ACCBiggz

Didn't seem like a finger poke to me, just repeated punches to the same spot. Belcher just kept targeting the eye and landing them all it seemed.

Beginning of the third round. There wasn't "repeated" punches and it wasn't an eye poke. A clean jab to the eye. It may have actually be a peice of the glove that caused it from the strike, as in the tip of one of the finger holes or something like that.

Meh ... I was thinking the swelling came from the first round when he was just landing several shots to the eye and caused it to close. But if it was the third round the swelling started... but really does this fight really deserve this much talk? :shifty:

Brock Lesnar -- $400,000 (no win bonus)

def. Frank Mir –- $45,000

Georges St. Pierre –- $400,000 (including $200,000 win bonus)

def. Thiago Alves –- $60,000

Dan Henderson –- $350,000 (including $150,000 win bonus, $100,000 knockout bonus)

def. Michael Bisping –- $150,000

Jon Fitch -- $90,000 (including $45,000 win bonus)

def. Paulo Thiago –- $8,000

Yoshihiro Akiyama –- $160,000(including $20,000 win bonus, $100,000 fight of night bonus)

def. Alan Belcher –- $119,000 (including $100,000 fight of night bonus)

Mark Coleman –- $100,000 (including $50,000 win bonus)

def. Stephan Bonnar –- $25,000

Jim Miller -- $22,000 (including $11,000 win bonus)

def. Mac Danzig -- $20,000

Jon Jones –- $18,000(including $9,000 win bonus)

def. Jake O'Brien –- $13,000

Dong Hyun Kim –- $58,000 (including $29,000 win bonus)

def. T.J. Grant -- $5,000

Tom Lawlor –- $116,000 (including $ 8,000 win bonus, $100,000)

def. CB Dollaway –- $14,000

Shannon Gugerty –- $10,000(including $5,000 win bonus)

def. Matt Grice -- $7,000

UFC 100 Payroll.

After PPV revenue Brock is expected to grab around $3 million.

That doesn't factor in lots of different things though, just the basic wage. I've been reading that Lesnars total go home wage was around $3,000,000 like Biggz said and that GSP got a lot more too. You would imagine Mir is getting more.

Edited by ZJ Penn

Frank Mir –- $45,000

Michael Bisping –- $150,000

Wow, really?

Yeah, ZJ said it best. Not to mention Frank is still on a contract he signed awhile back. His base salary will go up in the future. The UFC is known for lockeroom bonuses and "taking care of fighters".

More post-100 News:

“I honestly don’t know what happened to me out there. I will just have to accept what the organizers say in their rules about when I fight next and take it on the chin. But I do know that I have the ability to bounce right back and succeed in my aim of lifting the world title. Henderson won it fair and square and I have nothing but praise for him. I have seen people like my training partner ‘Rampage’ Jackson lose fights in one or two rounds and still go on to become one of the best light-heavyweight fighters of them all, so I am not disheartened in any way.”

-Bisping

"When Lesnar didn't come after me, that really threw me off." "He didn't land any punches on his feet, did he?" "I didn't expect him to run." "He ran like a lightweight. ... It's my fault. I should have trained that he would be intimidated from the standup" fighting position."

"When I chased him (in the second round), that's what changed my game plan." "I basically was (within) a half-an-inch of catching him." "I knew he was hurt, but he had good leverage, with my shoulder against the cage." "I made a stupid mistake."

"If I can just nail that weight gap to even 10 pounds, it'll be a different fight next time."

-Mir

Alan was a very tough fighter. The damage of the low blow in the beginning of the fight was quite strong. I thought that if he hit me there again I wouldn’t be able to continue the fight. I wanted to take a large break but there was confusion during the fight. I misunderstood the referee saying 5 minutes in English as 5 seconds, I continued the fight urgently but this took a big toll on the exhaustion of my physical strength. My eye got injured when I got downed on the first round by a left. I felt an abnormality in my eye after the end of the 1st round.

-Akiyama

I found this quote interesting because it wasn't until the third round after the punch that he started blinking and rubbing his eye.

See told you it was the first round.

HEY! YOU HUSH!

Nah, but As I re-watched everything looked fine he wasn't touching it at all until the beginning of the third after that one punch right to the socket. After that he started blinking and wiping his eye, and soon after is when Goldy/Rogan started to say it was closing.

I personally don't get the issue with the Akiyama/Belcher fight, I gave Akiyama the first two rounds, and only really gave Belcher the 3rd, when he decided to stick with the leg kicks and the jabbing of the Akiyama swelling. In the first round, I think Akiyama hit better punches and shots, and also caught his leg and caught him with an overhand, knocking him down. He also took him down in the second round, though the stand up from what I remember was a lot closer. Belcher got better, but he didn't do enough to win either of the first two rounds in my opinion.

And people saying the main event wasn't very good, I disagreed with. It was short, it wasn't a classic, but watching a guy like Lesnar brutalise someone else like that was hella entertaining. I popped big for the victory, and the victory speech afterwards.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I'm watching Bonnar/Griffin II on Unleashed, and Randy's doing guest commentary. This got me thinking - does UFC need to shake up their commentary team?

Make no mistake, Goldberg and Rogan are awesome at what they do - but they come across at times a little too obvious that they'll never say anything that could hurt a fighter's reputation (and by extension the UFC's), and while they clearly know a fair bit about the sport, they're generally limited to commentating on what's going on in front of them.

Couture, Rashad Evans when he did commentary a few months back, and other fighters are able to sound a little more authoritative, and pick up on some things that Mike and Joe don't notice.

But would it become too much chatter to have three guys, the way it does in other sports? Should Rogan be taken off and moved to just interviews? Or should it just stay as is?

My vote is for a three-man team of Mike, Joe, and Chuck Liddell (because he's gotta do *something*...I'd rather Couture, but he's not retiring anytime soon).

But what do the rest of you think?

Make no mistake, Goldberg and Rogan are awesome at what they do

If they are so awesome to you, why would you even suggest a change?

and while they clearly know a fair bit about the sport, they're generally limited to commentating on what's going on in front of them.

The fight going on is what you need them to commentate about, so maybe I misunderstand your point. What else are they supposed to talk about? And they do delve into training and different things they know about the fighters.

Couture, Rashad Evans when he did commentary a few months back, and other fighters are able to sound a little more authoritative, and pick up on some things that Mike and Joe don't notice.

But would it become too much chatter to have three guys, the way it does in other sports? Should Rogan be taken off and moved to just interviews? Or should it just stay as is?

Goldy, Rogan, and Couture were a great three man team during their events so I'm not opposed to them at all. Rashad was a bit bland, Sherk wasn't all that great, but Florian did well in his replacement of Rogan.

My vote is for a three-man team of Mike, Joe, and Chuck Liddell (because he's gotta do *something*...I'd rather Couture, but he's not retiring anytime soon).

I've never heard Chuck do color (I think), but I think from his personality it'd be absolutely terrible.

Overall Goldy and Joe do a phenomenal job and really the only criticism comes from hardcore MMA fans who make fun of everyone and seem to have a hard on for Bas. Goldy and Joe, as noted several times, are catering to the casual fan who may have trouble so that's why they repeat a lot of things from show to show - like Rogan explaining why a submission is easier or harder given certain circumstances, etc.

Also, Goldberg is the best PBP man period. Rogan tried doing it once and it was terrible. I think it's fine the way it is. I find them the best in the business and why would you tinker with that simply to just shake things up, to me that's dumb.

I really like the idea of getting a third guy in for the big or important fights. Like when Couture came in for Tito vs. Chuck. Obviously they need to be pretty good at it for it to work, but it can add to a fight as well as add a few nuances that you wouldn't normally get. It'd work even better if it was someone relevant to the division. Throwing guys in for the sake of it I'd be against though.

Overall Goldy and Joe do a phenomenal job and really the only criticism comes from hardcore MMA fans who make fun of everyone and seem to have a hard on for Bas.

I always preferred Quadros out of their Pride commentary team, actually out of all the Pride commentary teams. I've always wondered why they switched to Ranallo as the lead PBP. Quadros was/is excellent.

I've always wondered why they switched to Ranallo as the lead PBP. Quadros was/is excellent.

I really do not like Ranallo at all. Quadros is pretty good.

And like NBT said, I wouldn't change a thing. Goldy and Rogan are great. I also wouldn't mind seeing Couture return to commentary for a few shows here and there, but I would never want to hear a UFC event without both Goldy and Rogan commentating.

I've always said Rogan/Goldberg is one of the few commentating teams in all sports that I like. No football/American football/anything sports I have a combo I like.

Cycling and Moto GP are possibly the only other two sports where I have commentating teams I enjoy. Breaking up Rogan/Goldberg wouldn't be wise if you ask me.