UFC News and Discussion Thread

Holy shit... just... what a fight. It only went five minutes, but it was a hell of a five minutes of fighting. I'm not surprised, even though I picked Gina to win. Cyborg is a beast.

Hopefully they actually amass a division of female fighters, instead of just randomly bringing new ones in once in awhile to challenge.

Also, I hope to see a rematch at some point. This is Gina's first loss, and it wasn't a demolishing. She looked good in there... just not good enough.

About what I had predicted. I had Gina by Cardio, but since Cardio wasn't a factor Cyborg is just a better fighter. Gina had some major flaws in gameplan and what occured in the fight, probably could have survived the first but made errors. Not terrible for Strikeforce, but most of what I'm hearing is disappointment in the main event in that it "didn't live up to the hype". I don't really have an opinion on that, good round, but Gina could have made it better.

Strikeforce is allotted three hours on PPV in Canada. It costs $40 to get the PPV. The show ends at one hour and fifty minutes.

Boy am I sure fucking glad I didn't order that. I enjoyed all the fights... they were all good and exciting... but seriously, they can't air a couple of preliminary fights?

Mousasi knocking out Babalu with ease was wonderful. Great US debut for him. Who can he fight at light heavyweight, though? I can't even think of a guy they have...

And good job for Cyborg as well. Any thoughts on a challenger for her?

And to go on what Gabriel said above about showing prelims, Strikeforce never has shown them before so it wasn't anything new, but it still sucks. Especially not showing Hieron vs. Taylor ... that was an advertised main card bout, I understand with three title fights, moving it back to the prelims made sense, but with time allowing, it should've been aired.

• Like 1

Mousasi knocking out Babalu with ease was wonderful. Great US debut for him. Who can he fight at light heavyweight, though? I can't even think of a guy they have...

And good job for Cyborg as well. Any thoughts on a challenger for her?

And to go on what Gabriel said above about showing prelims, Strikeforce never has shown them before so it wasn't anything new, but it still sucks. Especially not showing Hieron vs. Taylor ... that was an advertised main card bout, I understand with three title fights, moving it back to the prelims made sense, but with time allowing, it should've been aired.

Tara LaRosa is an obvious choice, but Mauro mentioned a Dutch Kickboxer. I've never heard the name before, but I think the best gameplan is to bring in women who can match Cyborg's power. There isn't a lot of name power in Womens MMA right now. If you're not Cyborg or Carano, your name won't sell the fight. So they should just focus on bringing in women who will produce exciting fights until one of two things happens: 1, they find a third female to add to the list of big name womens fighters... or 2, Carano picks up two convincing wins and is ready for the rematch.

About the prelims... I know they never had before, and that this technically isn't a PPV, being on Showtime in the States... but if you're going to air it on PPV in another country, at least fill it out. I just checked, and it was given the 8:30-12:00 timeslot on Shaw PPV. Show ended at 10:20. I bet you dollars to cents that Shaw Cable gets bombarded by phone calls about people being ripped off. I'm not implying that it did amazing numbers... I'm just saying, a lot of the people who ordered it, are going to feel extremely shortchanged, and it's not anything to do with the quality of the fights we saw.

The people in the chat room I was at during the fights just made me so sad... I can't believe how much mindless Strikeforce bashing there was. It was a good card. Entertaining. There's no need to constantly fellate Dana White and the UFC. Are they the best? Of course. But that doesn't mean that everyone else is just garbage.

EDIT: King Mo! Mousasi Vs Lawal? I did some real heavy thinking, and that's really the only thing I can come up with. Working under the assumption that Mo beats Mark Kerr at the end of the month, he's the only legitimate threat I see to Mousasi's title. I'd like to see that fight. What do you think?

Edited by Gabriel

Utter bollocks, never should of been stopped if you ask me. Carano also went in with the wrong gameplan, because if she got outside of Round 1, she'd more than likely have beaten Cyborg, who still looks like a fighter that is dangerous for one round. I think this hurts female MMA in America etc more than it would of done if Cyborg lost. Personally, I feel a rematch has to happen and as soon as possible too, because that was complete and utter bullshit.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I've had the chance to sleep on it, and my reaction is - as TEOL and ROC can attest - exactly what it was last night. Holy fucking shit. That was awesome. Let's start at the beginning.

As I mentioned earlier, Werdum's performance was exactly what I expected. Good enough to show that he deserves fights with Arlovski/Rogers-level guys, not good enough to make you think he actually has a chance of winning them.

Gilbert Melendez, on the other hand, could probably beat any 155er not in UFC, and fit in comfortably in the UFC's upper midcard. Obviously still growing as a fighter too - if he wants to stay a big name on the indies/Japan, more power to him. Exciting and charismatic, I love the guy.

Ditto for Mousasi, except that - like Gabriel - I can't think of any 205ers outside UFC who could come close to challenging him. Amazing to think that with all his experience, he's still only 24 and thus has room to grow as a fighter. And Babalu looked like a good fighter who just got totally outclassed by a far superior opponent - which is exactly what he is.

And the main event? Cyborg/Carano? Goddamn fucking awesome. Only non-UFC fight I can think of that I've enjoyed that much would be the first Smith/Lawler fight last year. Yeah, there were some mistakes even I could pick up on - Gina not staying in mount - but it was so action-packed that they didn't matter. To anyone complaining about the stoppage, if anything it was late. I was expecting it from about 4:52 on, and I still had time to think "if it was anyone else it would have been stopped by now" before it finally came. Just because you might want to see a fight keep going, doesn't mean it should. Still don't agree with Biggz' point about Cyborg being a one-round fighter with no cardio - I think she's more just a pure bundle of energy a la Clay Guida. She'd rather finish a fight in one round than drag it out for three, but aside from Thales Leites, who wouldn't? Plus she's now the perfect monster foreign heel champion, so she can be fed glorified tomato cans while Strikeforce builds up their next serious All-American challenger.

Awesome show. Haven't loved a card this much top-to-bottom since UFC 94.

I made the mistake of logging on to Sherdog after that event, and I have to ask is there a more worthless bunch of posters anywhere else on the net? There was a topic "Why did Cyborg marry Cyborg?" where they did nothing but call Cris Cyborg a dude, talk about how ugly she is and how she "is a tranny." Just total disrespect for a lady that had just given us one of the most exciting fights I've watched in some time. Ugh, I hate that fucking forum.

Still don't agree with Biggz' point about Cyborg being a one-round fighter with no cardio

Never said she had just one round. Just said I figured Gina would win by cardio, and if cardio wasn't a factor - which it wasn't - Cyborg would win as she's the better fighter. Cyborg dumps her adrenaline in bunches, and Gina needed to get into deeper waters to have a chance.

Utter bollocks, never should of been stopped if you ask me. Carano also went in with the wrong gameplan, because if she got outside of Round 1, she'd more than likely have beaten Cyborg, who still looks like a fighter that is dangerous for one round. I think this hurts female MMA in America etc more than it would of done if Cyborg lost. Personally, I feel a rematch has to happen and as soon as possible too, because that was complete and utter bullshit.

I don't see how anyone could possibly think this is true.

Watched it this morning. Not as good was WEC last week but good show.

Mousasi is amazing. He's young but I can't help but be selfish and want him in the UFC right now.

Carano/Cyborg was a nasty brawl. Not that pretty but very entertaining. Actually parts of it were pretty ugly. Gina was answering but it seemed like the announcers were completely oblivious to the fact she was getting whooped. Like they didn't want to admit it. I know she's the poster girl but c'mon. I don't think she looked all that good and Cyborg herself looked beatable too. She was in a brawl with a woman that is just better in that kinda fight.

What sucks is no Nick Diaz. When he was dropped from the event my interest dropped. I'd pay more to see Diaz than Carano.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• 2 weeks later...