UFC News and Discussion Thread

Ok, I just watched the three main fights from UFC 102 and was pretty let down overall. Couture/Minotauro was awesome. Three rounds of action, Randy getting hit with stuff and thrown in submissions but showing heart and Nogueira taking some shots and putting forward a well rounded fight. Good stuff all around.

Jardine/Silva and Marquardt/Maia both were disappointing to me. I thought that Silva/Jardine in particular was going to be a fun fight but both fights were over quick. It can't be helped though.

But you have to give it to Nate; the guy just knocked Maia the fuck out. Thiago Silva's fight was kinda disappointing. And the main event was worth the wait; though I thought it was going to be over in the first round with Nog's submission. And then he let go. Second round, Couture was in a submission again -- and he survived. The dude is awesome full stop. Even at an advanced age, Couture is still goddamn awesome!

But you have to give it to Nate; the guy just knocked Maia the fuck out. Thiago Silva's fight was kinda disappointing. And the main event was worth the wait; though I thought it was going to be over in the first round with Nog's submission. And then he let go. Second round, Couture was in a submission again -- and he survived. The dude is awesome full stop. Even at an advanced age, Couture is still goddamn awesome!

Marquardt knocking out Maia was awesome, don't get me wrong. I'm mainly disappointed in the Thaigo Silva fight. I'm glad he won, but I figured the fight would be a really entertaining one. You just never know with MMA though, you can get a great fight or a lackluster one. Unfortunately we got the later.

Marquardt knocking out Maia was awesome, don't get me wrong. I'm mainly disappointed in the Thaigo Silva fight. I'm glad he won, but I figured the fight would be a really entertaining one. You just never know with MMA though, you can get a great fight or a lackluster one. Unfortunately we got the later.

I had high hopes for Jardine and Silva as well; but as you said, you can get a great fight or a lackluster one.

I really don't get what is so disappointing about those two fights.

When a fight gets finished, that's not disappointing. I was amazed at the Marquardt knockout, and the Silva/Jardine fight happened pretty much like I expected it to.

It you want to be disappointed in something, be disappointed in Soszynski/Vera. The aggression should have been an 8 on a scale to 10, and they came in and fought at a 4, maybe a 5. That doesn't make it a bad fight, or make them bad fighters. It just makes it disappointing. It would be like Liddell/Rampage, without all the bombs being thrown. Could still be good, but not nearly as exciting as it could and should have been.

Big Nog looked amazing, and really showed that his loss to Mir wasn't because of wear and tear on his body over the years. I'd like to see them have a rematch somewhere down the line.

Also, anyone who picked Hague to win is out of their minds, or just didn't do their homework on Todd Duffee. Hague was severely rocked a couple of times in his fight against Patrick Barry, and only scored the submission win because Barry's submission defense is the shits.

Nate finishing Maia with one punch was awesome. I wanted to see Maia vs. Silva, though, but Nate certain deserves it after that impressive knockout. Great job by him. Duffe getting the new fastest KO record was pretty cool. I knew he'd win, but not that quickly. Good showing by Thiago Silva, but sucks that Jardine lost. But amazing main event. Great job by both guys, and certain the best Nogueira has looked in the UFC. Just an awesome fight. Also, the doctor letting Herman continue after he screamed in pain and was limping really badly was very weird and certainly a bad call as shown by a few seconds of him having his knee popping again. But yes, main event was awesome.

• Like 1

So what should the UFC do with the middleweight division? Go with Silva defending against Marquardt or Silva defending against Henderson? Maybe Henderson vs. Marquardt in a number one contenders bout and Silva can perhaps fight at light heavyweight again in the meantime (or not fight until Henderson/Marquardt is finished, whatever he is up for)?

I think Henderson/Marquardt should have to face first as it makes sense, both have claims to the title shot but having one guy sit around until that happens and then sit around longer (or taking a fight while that happens and potentially risk the title shot) waiting for his shot next, is a long wait.

• Like 1

Honestly, it depends on what Anderson wants to do. If he wants to defend the belt at 185 in his next fight, then I say Henderson. Hendo picked up a win over a very game Michael Bisping, who's been running through people at 185. Marquardt is coming off of wins over Wilson Gouveia and Demian Maia. If title shots were based on number of wins alone, then Nate's on a longer streak... but you have to factor in quality of opponents.

So in that scenario I would do Anderson Silva Vs Dan Henderson for the belt, and Michael Bisping Vs Nate Marquardt in England. This would be much better than Bisping/Kang.

If Silva's looking for a superfight first though... then I'm all for Hendo/Marquardt for the title shot.

Bisping really wasn't even close to a title shot when he faced Henderson, he had McCarthy, Day, and Leben as opponents at 185 at that point, not exactly the best people to beat to get to a title shot. Him vs. Kang makes sense, Bisping needs wins before he can fight the likes of Silva, Henderson again, Marquardt, and Okami.

• Like 1