UFC News and Discussion Thread

DREAM.12 pre-show is just now starting, they're hyping the holy hell out of this new solid white cage. Apparently it's made out of "high tech wire mesh", stuff the Japanese use for fishing nets, or something.

I'd hype the cage too... it's amazing.

Josh Gross just re-watched fight w/o commentary on:

Re-watching fight w/o sound. R1 was tight as can be. Can score it either way. Have no problem with Machida or Shogun winning that round.

Competitive R2. I had Machida doing enough to earn it 10-9.

Combo by Machida at the end of R3 is the difference. 10-9. I can see how judges -- w/o hearing commentary -- gave 1-3 to Machida.

This was not a robbery folks. R4 was close and much slower than I originally thought. Shogun slight edge w/a couple solid kicks. 10-9 Rua.

I already hate both of you.

Listen, you think Shogun won, that's cool and you have a legit argument. HOWEVER, there were MULTIPLE close rounds that could have went either way. I scored it 48-47 for Lyoto giving him rounds 1, 2, and 3. Based on PRIDE/DREAM judging I'd have given it to Shogun though. You can't sit there and say it's a terrible decision when a few of the rounds could have went either way.

I'll say this about the fight though: Goldberg and Rogan were god awful giving a verbal fellatio to Shogun the entire fight. There were too many times to could when they'd say, "good punch" "great kick" "good knee" when the strike was blocked, checked, missed entirely. Just an atrocious job by them tonight.

Couldn't agree with this more, about fucking time somebody said that.

I got sick of Rogan talking complete shit last night. Everything Shogun did gave him an orgasm it seemed, despite the fact that half the stuff wasn't connecting like he was claiming. I also thought Machida won that fight exactly how the judges scored it. When Machida exploded, I thought it was all over. Right now I just see him how I see Anderson Silva, almost unbeatable unless you get a decision over him.

Nice to see the fans loving Machida at the start, then booing him by the end, like it's his fault that the judges scored it that way. That was a close fight and if it's that close, I don't think the champion should be losing the title. Awesome win for Machida :wub:

On the rest of the show, Cain looked fantastic. The stoppage was really bizarre at that point, but in all honesty that was just domination throughout. Awesome to see Stevenson pick up the victory too, he looked good out there.

I don't know how you can say that was an awesome win for Machida. He was not impressive at all (regardless of my feelings about the decision).

Machida was impressive. It was one of the first times he's look truly tested and he managed to come out victorious. Despite Shogun receiving praise, Machida still never actually looked hurt at any point and still makes people wonder how this guy can be stopped outside of a decision. He had the moments of exploding on Shogun as well, which is damn impressive to me.

It's no surprise that some will shit on the guy though, just like they did early on in the UFC. I personally thought he looked really good out there and I don't see how you could say that's not an awesome win for him, when he was clearly tested and still managed to come out victorious, which to me is an awesome win. Not every 'awesome' fight has to be an explosive knockout.

I don't know how you can say that was an awesome win for Machida. He was not impressive at all (regardless of my feelings about the decision).

Machida was impressive. It was one of the first times he's look truly tested and he managed to come out victorious. Despite Shogun receiving praise, Machida still never actually looked hurt at any point and still makes people wonder how this guy can be stopped outside of a decision. He had the moments of exploding on Shogun as well, which is damn impressive to me.

It's no surprise that some will shit on the guy though, just like they did early on in the UFC. I personally thought he looked really good out there and I don't see how you could say that's not an awesome win for him, when he was clearly tested and still managed to come out victorious, which to me is an awesome win. Not every 'awesome' fight has to be an explosive knockout.

Did you see his rib cage and how he kept switching stances? I'd say he was plenty hurt by Shogun. He may have flurries but he didn't really do any real damage with them. Shogun also had his flurries.

Quite frankly, Shogun out struck Machida, executed his game plan to a T while Machida did not, Shogun was the aggressor and pushed the pace, and Shogun landed many more strikes.

Impressive was Machida's fight against Rashad. This was not.

I really do think the judges screwed this one up. Rounds 1 and 2 may have been close but no way I would have given both of them to Machida (one maybe but not two). Just about every MMA website/analyst I've seen on the web gave the fight to Shogun.

But whatever, I want to see the rematch.

Guest Spongebob Weinstein

Shogun deserved that win. I don't see any way he doesn't get 1, 4, and 5. 2 could have gone either way (I had Shogun), and 3 was definitely Machida's.

And I was cheering for Machida.

The *only* way to say Lyoto won some of those rounds is to give him marks because he wouldn't let Shogun take him down, and because Shogun's biggest strikes usually came as counters. To me, not near enough to make up for the domination he enjoyed.

Guest Spongebob Weinstein

Also, on another note, nice to see Velasquez get the reactions he did. Looks like he might actually be perceived as a credible threat to the Lesnar/Carwin winner.

Shogun deserved that win. I don't see any way he doesn't get 1, 4, and 5. 2 could have gone either way (I had Shogun), and 3 was definitely Machida's.

And I was cheering for Machida.

The *only* way to say Lyoto won some of those rounds is to give him marks because he wouldn't let Shogun take him down, and because Shogun's biggest strikes usually came as counters. To me, not near enough to make up for the domination he enjoyed.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Machida's name announced as the winner - and neither could Machida himself, based on his reaction. I gave Machida round 3, and all others to Rua, although the second round could've possibly gone to Machida. I'm really, really baffled by this decision. But thankfully there will be a rematch, and I pray that that match doesn't go to the judges...

Also, the referee in the Velasquez-Rothwell match made a horrible decision ending the match. Granted, Velasquez was dominating the match and most probably would've won it anyway, but that exact moment was NOT worthy of ref stoppage. Rothwell was clearly getting up and trying to get his shit together. Just a bad, bad decision.

ProMMA.Info 50-45 Rua

Yahoo Sports/Cagewriter 48-47 Rua

BloodyElbow 48-47 Rua

USAToday 48-47 Rua, 49-46 Rua

ESPN/Jake Rossen 49-46 or 48-47 Rua

MMA Fanhouse/Michael David Smith 48-47 Rua

CagePotato 49-46 Rua MMATorch 48-47 Rua

MMAJunkie 49-46 or 48-47 Rua

MMAMania 50-45 Rua

Sports Illustrated 48-47 Rua

Sherdog Jordan Breen – 48-47 Rua, Brian Knapp – 48-47 Rua, Mike Fridley – 50-45 Rua

• Like 1

The biggest surprise to me was that, given the way the scoring was set up, there wasn't even a split decision. Dana says that the next fight for both will be a rematch, it'll be really interesting to see how it pans out.

Couldn't really get into last nights event, the next three or four (mainly 106) look awesome though.

I could see why Machida was given it, but I was searching for the reasons. In how I was viewing it as I watched the match, I had Machida winning only 1 round, 2 at a push, and Rua winning the fight. Not a robbery, but when your almost looking for reasons to validate a potentially bad decision, it isn't great.

And Biggz, calm down man. More people will probably feel it was a bad decision than agree with you, at least upon first viewing, don't have to speak down to people about it.

Looking at damshow's posted scores, it does show how hard it was to score, as there wasn't a hard and fast score that everyone seemed to come to an agreement about.

Last edit, but I also think Rogan and Goldberg weren't great in the Main Event. Too many poor shots were praised to high heaven, and they seemed to downplay the fact that they were often going strike for strike in exchanges, Machida catching Rua with some decent punches to the face.

• Like 2

I had it scored like this:

Round 1: Draw

Round 2: Draw

Round 3: Draw

Round 4: Shogun

Round 5: Shogun

Being a huge fan of Shogun, I was hoping for the win... but being impartial, and believing in the Ric Flair Philosophy (To Be The Man, You Gotta Beat The Man), I gave the first three rounds to Machida, scoring the fight 48-47 for the defending champion.

That all being said, Tie Goes to the Runner (or Champion, in this case), but because the only rounds decisively won in my opinion, were won by Rua, I believe that a rematch is in fact, in order.

At the post fight press conference, Mauricio Rua admitted to not pressing the action in the final round because he felt like he was winning. How many times do guys need to lose decisions in fights they "feel like they've won" before they realize that you cannot, under any circumstances, place the outcome of the fight in someone else's hands?