UFC News and Discussion Thread

Holy shit. Can anybody even start to doubt Silva again after that? Talk about Fedor and GSP all day long if you want, because this guy is the real fucking deal. I've never seen anybody make Griffin look like a complete joke. That was just domination from start to finish and Silva clearly looked like he wanted to prove to everybody he's the man. The minute the fans started booing him at the start and he looked as if to say 'Okay, we'll see', you just knew the guy was going to kill somebody. He's a damn machine and in my mind, the best pound for pound fighter around right now. Cant wait to see what's next for him. Is there any possibility of seeing Silva/Machida in the future?

Really enjoyed the BJ/Florian fight as well. BJ looked back to his best and I had him down as winning every round. Great finish as well, brilliant performance from BJ and I really cant wait to see Sanchez/Penn.

Dana said that he thinks he can deliver on a Silva/Machida fight, which is obviously, right now, an even bigger fight for them than Silva/GSP, based on the numbers. Machida's not lost yet, whereas Georges has proven to be quite human in the past.

That said... I'll believe it when I see it. Anderson has always spoken highly of Lyoto Machida, and has gone as far as to say that 205 is Machida's division, and that he doesn't want to step on his toes. I'm more inclined to believe that we'll never see that fight, than I am to believe that we will.

BJ showed up tonight. He's re-dedicated and made Kenny Florian look like he shouldn't even have been in there with him. Goldy and Joe can talk about Florian "wearing him down" all they want... but the fact is, KenFlo did absolutely nothing of worth during that fight, and BJ Penn made him look like his bitch.

Johny Hendricks looked really good tonight, but poor Amir. I know where the ref was coming from on that one... but if the guy is clearly looking at his opponent and not signalling that he's done, let it go. Either he'll get knocked out, take a couple more shots and have the fight get stopped, or he'll get back up like Sadollah was trying to do, and the fight will continue.

Hopefully he comes back sooner than later, because I would hate for him to get lost in the shuffle here. If he can, he should fight in September or October so that he can prove he belongs.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I really think the best way to stop Silva - unless you're actually *better* than him, which I'm not sure anyone is at this point, certainly not at 185 - is to completely surprise him. There were a few times when Forrest could have hit a huge punch or knee but left himself completely vulnerable...count on Silva being too shocked to take advantage of it. It's a long-shot, but it's far more entertaining than what Leites or Cote did.

I really think the best way to stop Silva - unless you're actually *better* than him, which I'm not sure anyone is at this point, certainly not at 185 - is to completely surprise him. There were a few times when Forrest could have hit a huge punch or knee but left himself completely vulnerable...count on Silva being too shocked to take advantage of it. It's a long-shot, but it's far more entertaining than what Leites or Cote did.

You'd be wrong. Especially saying that Forrest could have hit Anderson with something. Anderson proved that by dropping his hands and dodging... everything.

Best way to stop Silva - Dan Henderson, R1 UFC 82: Pride of a Champion.

Silva's striking and head movement is so far advanced that it's not smart to do it, which is why I figured he'd stop Forrest. Forrest doesn't have the greatest chin, but I thought he'd use his size to press Anderson on the cage and mat.

Was going to post this in MMA News, but borderline spoiler:

Anderson had Ed Soares talk to Dana and said he'd be willing to vacate the Middleweight championship and fight at 205 full-time. Dana said he could do that with a smile. Still very premature at this point, and I expect Anderson to defend at least once more.

Anderson still maintains he won't fight Lyoto. Dana says he could make the fight happen, I disagree. So if he moves to 205 expect superfights with: Randy, Chuck, loser of Page/Evans perhaps. If Lyoto loses (lol) he'd fight for 205 gold. IF he does vacate the title I would expect Henderson vs. Winner of Maia/Marquardt for the title.

Apparently Griffin's jaw was dislocated early in the fight, which explains why he went down so easily, appeared to not want much of Silva as the fight progressed, and left the octagon immediately after the fight. He also lost his hearing in the side of the dislocation.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14354-NY-MMA-Examiner~y2009m8d9-UFC-101-update-Forrest-Griffins-injuries

I had never seen Silva fight before except highlights and I'll admit I wanted Forrest to beat him but Silva made him look like a little kid in there. Surprising finish too but if he was already hurt it makes sense. I can see why there is so much hype around Silva now.

Amir's fight getting stopped early sucked. It must suck to come back from a year plus off and get stopped like that. Oh well. Silva looked great out there. I wouldn't mind seeing him at 205 full time. Sucks that Florian lost, but Penn was just much better than him out there. Also, Sotiropolous looked great out there. He'll be a solid lightweight.

No, it was Fike. Yves Lavinge screwed up the Sell/Brown fight at the same event.

Also, how sweet was that sweep by Curran into the triangle? It's been a good night of fights so far. Garcia rocking Massouh in round one only for him to come back and nearly submit Garcia in round 2 was cool. That was a good fight.

Edited by Fitzy

Yea, I just watched the Griffin/Silva fight and Silva just made Griffin look like a joke there. Who can stop this guy, seriously? He took out a former UFC Light Heavyweight champion and barely broke a sweat doing so.

Wow, great job by Bowles, knocking out Torres. I was not expecting that at all. Also, Cruz vs. Benavides was a great fight. I am not sure if they'll go with Torres getting an immediate rematch (he certainly deserves one, but Faber didn't get one right away), so it is probably Bowles vs. Cruz next.

Edited by Fitzy

Apparently Griffin's jaw was dislocated early in the fight, which explains why he went down so easily, appeared to not want much of Silva as the fight progressed, and left the octagon immediately after the fight. He also lost his hearing in the side of the dislocation.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14354-NY-MMA-Examiner~y2009m8d9-UFC-101-update-Forrest-Griffins-injuries

From MMAWeekly - Griffin suffered no broken jaw and he is physically okay, said the Zinkin representative, but emotionally he is definitely not dealing well with the loss.

I'll post this in the MMA News Thread in a couple days so Uk'ers can watch the event, but this quote is that good to post both places:

BJ Penn: When Anderson started fighting, I walked into the bathroom because I didn’t want to see what was happening so I could (focus). And then I heard everybody yelling and yelling and then I saw Anderson walk in and say, ‘Now it’s your turn.’

So, I saw the fights late last night and God damnit was I pissed at Anderson/Griffin. I mean what the fuck? Cleary Forrest was out of it from the get go. That is one of the worst performances from a fighter I've seen in a very long time. I sat there wondering just what the fuck happened. I was so excited to watch that fight that I watched it first. And I'm glad I did because the fights afterward pretty much made up for them.

Kurt Pellegrino showed up to fight and made Josh Neer's improved ground game look a bit like a joke. Pellegrino should've capitalized on it, but I'm sure he was more focused on getting his first win on TV and trying to defend so he won't get caught again. Either way, Kurt had the fight.

Almeida and Grove was pretty good. Grove got some decent shots in, but Almeida is in another class. He know how to drag out a fight in his favor and almost always gets the Unanimous Decision win. Grove shouldn't train with Tito anymore. :shifty:

Coming into the Hendricks/Amir fight, I knew that Hendricks would come out victor, but I didn't want it this way. It's a damn shame that just by the movements you can tell Amir wasn't out. Hendricks exploded on him which is actually pretty smart given Amir's lack of experience. An explosion like that surprises anyone. While I hate the fact that it was definitely and early stop, who knows? Chances are one of those hooks was gonna rock Amir at one point anyway.

Shane Nelson and Aaron Riley was a decent bout. I don't have much to say about it.

And now the main event. This was Kenny's toughest opponent to date and it showed. At this point you have to be at a whole nother level to compete with BJ Penn. Penn was able to telegraph everything Kenny threw at him and it's a shame Kenny didn't get the win given how hard he's been working to get back to this point the past few years. I'd love to see a rematch now that Kenny has gotten a feel for what BJ is about.

• Like 1

Almeida and Grove was pretty good. Grove got some decent shots in, but Almeida is in another class. He know how to drag out a fight in his favor and almost always gets the Unanimous Decision win. Grove shouldn't train with Tito anymore. :shifty:

He has his own school and I believe also trains with BJ. I don't think he has trained with Ortiz in a while.