UFC News and Discussion Thread

No, I'm not saying that he was robbed cause I thought he won, I'm saying because I know he won. There's a difference.

Half of the watching audience and judges disagree with you.

I understand that, but they're wrong. ;)

The only way to know that someone's won is to have them KO, TKO or Submit their opponent.

How many times has it been said that it's dangerous to leave a fight in the judges hands? You just can't do it, and if you do, it's your fault for not finishing the fight. Belcher had him hurt, he should have unloaded more heavily in the third round. He didn't, and that's his fault.

I couldn't agree more. However, it takes a great fighter to be able to thoroughly finish fights. UFC has the best of the best, so you gotta expect to go the distance. Belcher has been more cold than hot in his career, and lately he has been firing on all cylinders. Last night, he didn't fight to his pull potential. Akiyama is an excellent fighter, but he didn't hold his end of the bargain either. Belcher had the match won the whole time.

johnny-cash-tattoo.jpg

After his split decision loss to Yoshihiro Akiyama at UFC 100, the tattoo on the arm of Alen Belcher is raising numerous questions. It is Johnny Cash, printed on his arm though it’s a deformed Johnny Cash.

It seems that Bechlar got this tattoo when he was younger. But with the passage of time, as he grew up and he built up the muscles in his arms through strength training, Johnny’s face look a little strange. This is the reason as his tattoo looks a bit deformed and no one can tell that what it really is. And to find out this question everyone is googling “Alan Belcher tattoo.”.

Alan Belcher will go for his third straight win in a row inside the Octagon when he takes on Japanese fighter Yoshihiro Akiyama in a middleweight tilt at UFC 100 on July 11.

Alan is looking promising as he made an exceptional come back that led him to victory over Denis Kang at UFC 93 last January. Now he is 5-3 overall under the Zuffa banner.

It is still unknown that why this man from Mississippi has Johnny Cash tattoo on his arm. Probably he is a big fan of Johnny Cash.

John Alan Belchar was born on 24 April, 1984, in Jonesboro, Arkansas. He is an American mixed martial arts fighter. In July 2004, he made his debut against Tim Ellis in Freestyle Fighting Championship and beat him by TKO. He currently fights for the UFC in the middleweight division

No, I'm not saying that he was robbed cause I thought he won, I'm saying because I know he won. There's a difference.

I have no problem with scoring for Belcher, but in absolutely no way was this fight a robbery. The last time I'll say this - this fight was extremely close and could have went either way, just like it did.

and he fucked up Akiyama's face real good.

Damage doesn't, and to a greater extent, shouldn't matter when scoring a fight.

The way I saw it, Akiyama clearly won the second, Belcher eeked out the first, but he didn't do enough in the third to clinch a decision.

Whatever judge scored that fight 30-27 was an idiot, but Belcher was hardly robbed. The only thing he should've won last night was "Worst Tattoo".

Even with the ink cock that is titfucking Brock Lesnar?

and he fucked up Akiyama's face real good.

Damage doesn't, and to a greater extent, shouldn't matter when scoring a fight.

I never said it did. It just goes to show how many points he scored over Akiyama.

Uh yeah it does? One punch won't do that to your face, multiple will. For example on the same night: Frank Mir.

Then again, you think I'm disagreeing with you and I'm not, so you can continue to argue with yourself on the matter.

Ummm, one punch can do that. One elbow can create a deep cut. One punch can shut an eye (Brock/Herring). One strike can do anything to make it seem like fighter a is winning when he isn't. Some fighters show damage a lot more than others from lesser strikes (see: Spencer Fisher). I'm not saying Belcher didn't do a lot of damage and land a lot, but that doesn't show "how many points he scored over Akiyama". Akiyama scored just as many points, if not more as judges and others agree on, than Belcher.

Then again, you think I'm disagreeing with you and I'm not, so you can continue to argue with yourself on the matter.

It's your wording on it that makes it seem that way. Because in the way you mention it you seem to think just because Akiyama looks like that, and Belcher doesn't, that it shows "how many points he scored over Akiyama".

Ummm, one punch can do that. One elbow can create a deep cut. One punch can shut an eye (Brock/Herring). One strike can do anything to make it seem like fighter a is winning when he isn't. Some fighters show damage a lot more than others from lesser strikes (see: Spencer Fisher). I'm not saying Belcher didn't do a lot of damage and land a lot, but that doesn't show "how many points he scored over Akiyama". Akiyama scored just as many points, if not more as judges and others agree on, than Belcher.

It's your wording on it that makes it seem that way. Because in the way you mention it you seem to think just because Akiyama looks like that, and Belcher doesn't, that it shows "how many points he scored over Akiyama".

One punch cannot make your entire face from cheek to cheek, forehead, and eyes become extremely discolored. The fact is as the fight goes on, Akiyama's face gets redder and redder in the different sections. That is how I know he scored many points ON (I meant to say on instead of over) him. Those are points that count. I disagree with you on that aspect. I don't disagree with you on the fact that how a face looks matters when scoring a fight. I never meant to say that.

Sorry to double post, but FightMetric has the statistics up from UFC 100:

FightMetric score: 29-28 Akiyama (1 & 2).

Round 1: 140-95; 24-23 on strikes (9 more high power strikes), One takedown to none.

Round 2: 78-59; 23-14 on strikes (4 more high power strikes), One takedown to none.

Round 3: 144-148; (Blelcher with 9 more high power strikes), One takedown to none for Akiyama.

Performance Rating: 72-55

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Akiyama-Belcher.html

^^^ Full results per FightMetric.

I enjoyed Akiyama/Belcher but Akiyama only one round one of that fight and Belcher got robbed.

He didn't get robbed. Robbed is something I would use for a clear bad decision. Akiyama vs. Belcher was a very close fight - I had 29-28 Belcher, but as I sat there I said I could see it 29-28 Akiyama. It was a close fight but definitely not a robbery.

30-27 Akiyama makes it look bad. Split Decision Akiyama is a fair enough decision, but that someone scored it 30-27 to him is what makes it look like a robbery. I was of the opinion that he got robbed and was saying in the mass chat that Joe Rogan should have gone nuts on the point, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Split Decision is fair enough but Unanimous is bad? Silly Plubby, I thought I'd talked you out of such silly notions as judges whispering "hey Pete, make sure you give Alan a round so it looks closer".

Judges are also spaced out around the Octagon not to be around other judges during fights for those that don't know, so they actually have no interaction. *The more you know*

30-27 Akiyama makes it look bad. Split Decision Akiyama is a fair enough decision, but that someone scored it 30-27 to him is what makes it look like a robbery. I was of the opinion that he got robbed and was saying in the mass chat that Joe Rogan should have gone nuts on the point, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

I agree that I don't think it's 30-27 - I mentioned that earlier, but alas that's not the only person to score it that way. But again, in no way, shape or form does having one person on the judges scoring it 30-27 make it look more like a robbery. As the fight was going on we were all wondering why Rogan was saying Belcher was winning as if Akiyama wasn't doing anything because we had it closer. And we agreed that Rogan, even though they always do this with various fighters, were completely being biased at times. Sometimes it's good to hear them disagree with something, but that was a completely close fight - a lot closer, in my opinion, than Fisher/Uno in which Rogan sat that and said it was close and Uno should probably have won.

Alas, I thought the FightMetric numbers were very interesting to look at, and I may re-watch that fight later tonight and re-score it.

AFAIK the person that scored the fight 30 - 27 is some girl that caused scorecard trubble once before.

Sometimes Damage dos go for the score cards btw. in Pride for example you could loose if you stoped trying to finish the fight and just cared for inching your point atvantage over time. That was a pritty good idea...

i also liked how they talked about Belcher needing to get the "Points" back on what he lost on the take down and than screaming for robery two minutes later wen the result was anounced... yeah... rogan is an ideot... a fun one i like but still more fan than sports comentator and thats not screaming qualety.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Grant by UD. Who's up for a big ol' Canadian Bandwagon ride!?! I don't trust Asians fighting on North American soil. Especially for the first time. They tend to disappoint IMO.

Kim has fought here 3 times. :shifty:

How dare you notice everything. His entire UFC career went right over my head apparently.

The main events went exactly how I thought they would. The only thing I didn't think of was the fact that Alves would come in looking like a horse. Georges looked tremendous clearly out weighed by like 20 pounds. He had Thiago's leg kicks timed perfectly and did work with the single. I loved Jackson's reaction to GSP's torn groin. "Don't worry about your groin... HIT HIM WITH YOUR GROIN!"

Lesnar is just too much mass too bet against. At one point Brock had serious arm and wrist control behind Frank's head so easily I thought he was just toying with him. With the huge meat hook collar tie-up from half guard, cradling Frank's head down to the left and making his life hell. Disgusting domination of position. Then he wins and goes ballistic. I love it. Whatever stern talking to Dana gave Brock was purely for the slight jab at Bud. Other than that, Dana probably stained his pants last night thinking about the kind of attention can Brock attract

Dan knocked a couple years off of Bisping's career. That shot was devastating. Perfectly executed. I don't think Dan tried to throw the right in the second up til the KO. Joe pointing out Bisping's constant movement to the left and Dan being so patient with that right hand, you knew a bomb was coming. Moments later, Bisping goes into a state of retardom.

I liked the Akiyama decision. I was expecting it to go the other way, but overall I thought it was Akiyama who fought the smarter fight. Scored a few take downs, forced a some knock downs, and didn't let Belcher take any liberties besides the leg kicks and that ridiculous springboard punch that Akiyama just stood there and took for some reason. Belcher had the one knock down, the only one I remember, but Akiyama was landing with more authority. Anybody pick up what caused the swelling Akiyama's eye? Goldy speculated it might have been a finger poke.

Finally, feel good story of the night is Mark Coleman's first win in the UFC in over 10 years! Hooray!

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Finally, feel good story of the night is Mark Coleman's first win in the UFC in over 10 years! Hooray!

But it was against Bonnar! :( But yeah, it was great seeing Coleman get the win again. I was talking to LL about this and Bonnar has a really bad record. 5-5. I know Dana has said that him and Forrest pretty much have a job with them for life for their fight, but I wonder if he really means that if Bonnar continues into the losing record side...

Also watched Danzig/Miller about an hour or so ago. Yeah, he didn't do anything in that fight to secure him staying around, so I think this might be his final fight in the UFC. Maybe they might give him one more chance to impress since he was an Ultimate Fighter winner, who knows, but I think it is time to cut him and let him maybe earn his way back.

And Jon Jones not tossing O'Brien around like he is nothing was a little disappointing. But Jones still looked good in there.

Edited by Fitzy

that Akiyama just stood there and took for some reason.

Part of me thinks Akiyama was just like "okay, that looks cool, I'll take that." He did that little playing to the crowd hand gesture after the punch and clearly wasn't actually affected by it much at all.

Anybody pick up what caused the swelling Akiyama's eye? Goldy speculated it might have been a finger poke.

Didn't seem like a finger poke to me, just repeated punches to the same spot. Belcher just kept targeting the eye and landing them all it seemed.