UFC News and Discussion Thread

They need to make Rua/Henderson II. While I wouldn't go as far as saying Rua got 'robbed', a draw would have been fairer imho. As Jones is lined up to face Machida first, and then finally Rashad... I don't see any better options then doing an immediate rematch. Won't be hard to sell the fight and it actually rankings-wise makes sense too. And the winner could get to face the then-champ (Jones, Machida or Evans).

I hear Rampage is going to fight in Japan at UFC144... (Kongo Vs Hunt and Hioki Vs Palaszewski are apparently lined up too)... I guess he will face Griffin? That just leaves Phil Davis for the top of the division but I think he's injured?

Cung Le Vs Wanderlei Silva was a very good fight too. I was one of the people who believed Wanderlei should retire... but not so sure anymore. He looked in good shape and he still can take a punch...

And we're getting Faber vs Cruz again. It's a good thing that a bunch of TUF-fighters will join bantam & featherweight divisions because they can use some dept... I've seen the first episode (with the qualifying fights) and some of those were really good. Don't know about the rest of it? Any guys that will, given time, pose problems to Aldo or Cruz?

They need to make Rua/Henderson II.

I hear Rampage is going to fight in Japan at UFC144

No, they shouldn't make the rematch from Saturday, Henderson has a limited number of fights left in him and he should be fighting for the title next. If he drops that fight then let him have the second Rua fight, but it should not happen right away.

Rampage is being lined up to face Griffin or Stephan Bonnar, I can live with either fight if I am honest.

And as far as this season of TUF goes, there are some genuinely good fighters in it, but until we see them fight in the UFC proper against fighters who are considered top 135/145ers it is pretty tough to gauge who is really up there. Dodson and Dillashaw are two guys I rate, but I would need to see the 135ers fighting the likes of a Scotty Jorgensen or the 145ers a Manny Gamburian to really get an idea of how seriously we should be taking them.

That said we are more likely to see a TUF winner fighting for a title faster in those two divisions than any of the other more established divisions, probably even heavyweight, given the relative depth.

Also a couple of the 135ers (particularly thinking about Dodson) will be likely to drop to 125 when that division is implemented, in all likelihood next year.

They need to make Rua/Henderson II. While I wouldn't go as far as saying Rua got 'robbed', a draw would have been fairer imho. As Jones is lined up to face Machida first, and then finally Rashad... I don't see any better options then doing an immediate rematch. Won't be hard to sell the fight and it actually rankings-wise makes sense too. And the winner could get to face the then-champ (Jones, Machida or Evans).

I don't like the idea of a rematch. At the end of the day this was as good as it's ever going to be. It wasn't for a title so there wasn't anything actually lost by the judges decision (besides a loss on Rua's record). It certainly shouldn't have hurt Rua's stock in the fan's eyes. I'd be treating both fighters as if they won the fight (similar to Bonnar/Griffin). Give Hendo either the winner of Machida/Jones or Evans (if he gets the shot first and wins). I'd have Rua fight the loser of Machida/Jones or Evans for the number one spot or throw Rampage in the mix. Point being that both men will stay at the top of the card and both have gained a shit load of credibility from the fight. Why have them fight again when the only result is that one of them loses the sheen from this fight?

They should bring in Mousasi/Lawal/Cavalcante into the mix as well.

Cung Le Vs Wanderlei Silva was a very good fight too. I was one of the people who believed Wanderlei should retire... but not so sure anymore. He looked in good shape and he still can take a punch...

I don't know, he was basically fighting an actor who is a part time fighter. Wandy did well but it's similar to the way that Cro Cop was being used, in that they were trying to give them wins/fights in their favour. I can't think of anyone of relevance I'd back Wandy to beat. I'd save him as a special attraction.

And we're getting Faber vs Cruz again. It's a good thing that a bunch of TUF-fighters will join bantam & featherweight divisions because they can use some dept... I've seen the first episode (with the qualifying fights) and some of those were really good. Don't know about the rest of it? Any guys that will, given time, pose problems to Aldo or Cruz?

There are some depth issues. But I think it's more down to a lack of promotion and Bellator being clever enough to have signed up a lot of the best fighters when WEC was still around. Plus Bellator makes them a main part of the show whereas they are new in UFC and generally aren't seen as that favoured in comparison to the other weight classes (especially when most of the names in other weight classes are more established). It's a catch-22 where fighters are going to be hard to establish if they aren't on the main card, yet the main card can likely feature higher named fighter than Scott Jorgensen et al. Bowles was a legit challenger and I had it as a coin flip prior to the fight. Renan Barao also needs to be seen as a massive threat to Cruz. Faber has been put straight back to the top largely because he's a name that can help establish the division. He was seen an established name prior to the merger and headlined the only PPV WEC held as he is seen as an established ticket seller. I think Dana would have liked Faber to drop down in weight, take the title and go on an Anderson Silva like run.

Hederson/Rua 2 is a bad idea.

Just saying. :shifty:

Anyways, I wouldn't say that Wandy/Le was a good fight; it was a god damn entertaining fight but it wasn't very pretty or very good. But Cung Le throwing spinning kicks around like it was nobodies business made my night. As Quom said, UFC needs to keep Wandy around for special attractions; he is past his prime but with a few wins he can still draw massively; unlike Cro Cop who I wish would just retire while he still has his pride. :(

Eurgh I really hate Bonnar. There is something about him that seems totally disingenuous and kind of creepy. I don't even know what it is about him but he genuinely makes my skin crawl. If it turns out he's a kiddy fucker or a serial killer I totally called it.

• Like 1

Eurgh I really hate Bonnar. There is something about him that seems totally disingenuous and kind of creepy. I don't even know what it is about him but he genuinely makes my skin crawl. If it turns out he's a kiddy fucker or a serial killer I totally called it.

Well he is the American Psycho. Don't accept his offer to go back to his place and listen to some Huey Lewis.

According to the judges scorecards, not a single judge gave R5 as a 10-8.

I mean, really? What do you have to do to get a 10-8? Shoot him?

Like I said I don't remember Henderson getting a single strike in the last round. It was really weird. I would have given it 10-7 in all honesty as it couldn't have been more dominant unless he was fighting a doll. The only issue was he didn't really look like he was going to finish the fight as both men were fucked. But seriously getting full mount five times needs to be worth more than 10-9

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

And once again we go back to how the 10-point scoring system makes no sense.

No we don't. Everybody's complaining that the judges didn't use the system properly, not that there's something wrong with the system.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

And a heads-up, a back issue of the Observer was posted to their site today and due to technical problems seems to be free for anyone for the moment, although it won't last. Covers UFC III and the first-ever Observer reference to "human cock fighting".