UFC News and Discussion Thread

Though the official ratings for Saturday's UFC on Fox debut won't be known until Monday, Dave Meltzer at WrestlingObserver.com has an updated estimate for the numbers based on the fast nationals. The earlier reported number of 4.64 million viewers averaged for the card was expected to rise as it didn't account for west coast and mountain time viewers, and that's just how Meltzer has it.

According to his report, the event drew a 3.1 rating with an average of 5.7 million viewers. The peak is still not known, but if that number holds up it will make the UFC on Fox debut the most watched live MMA event ever.

UPDATE: Fox Sports' Lou D'Ermilio corroborated Meltzer 5.7 million report, and added that the premiere was the "most-watched pro fight of any kind on any network since '03 when 7.0 million watched Lewis-Klitschko on HBO." Peak is still not available, but that would put it ahead of Slice's fights with James Thompson and Seth Petruzelli on CBS if that's the case.

That's better!

What is annoying me so far is I am reading a lot of negative fan reaction along the lines of "This proves that MMA can not be mainstream in the US, it wall always be a niche sport", Jesus UFC fans are hard to please. Give the national TV deal time to sit and let more fans watch before you get all negative, wow.

Guest mr. potato head

Also, the pattern from every single EliteXC/Strikeforce show on CBS and most big UFC shows on Spike shows that audiences grow as fights go on. When there's only one minute of fighting, that's not much time for an audience to grow.

Yeah if you were watching the ND/Maryland game (don't know why) or the Oregon/Stanford game and flipped over when you thought the fight would start, but were actually a minute late, you missed the whole fight. MMA on live TV will grow audience as the fight goes on because in the early round(s) people are naturally going to be flipping back and forth. Once the drama escalates, people will be glued to the TV though.

So in summary they really could have used the Guida/Henderson fight on the broadcast too, but oh well. Lesson for the future.

So the Guida/Bendo fight was only shown to international viewers? Because the event I saw had that fight before Velasquez/Crying dos Santos, albeit with the breaks between rounds cut out.

Yeah that's international only.

Well, now. I skipped it though since I also saw most of the prelims, including Guida/Bendo. Really liked Poirer/Garza though, but then again Dustin Poirer is an awesome tiny punch man, so yeah. Also, man, Cub Swanson, you are so useless.

Guest mr. potato head

Sexyama vs. Jake Shields for UFC 144 for Sexyama's welterweight debut. I'm assuming this is a 'loser leaves town' type of fight. And if so, I want Sexyama to win.

I doubt they'd cut Shields if he loses this one. Akiyama yeah because he's clearly pretty bad.

That sound you heard was Quom creaming in his pants.

I actually don't find him attractive, no idea why not because I fancy quite a few Asian guys. He just doesn't do it for me. Yeah Akiyama only really has value in Asia, if he loses in Japan I keep see them releasing him unless it's one hell of a fight.

I think he's going to get his arse kicked, well not really, more BJJ'd or smothered for three rounds.

Guest mr. potato head

So the UFC is suing the state of New York.

And this is so much about fundamental freedoms and not at all a public relations stunt that that the only fighters who cared enough to join the lawsuit were two champions from the area, a war hero, a deaf guy and a chick who hasn't fought in years but happens to be starring in a movie soon.

All Around Awesome Man Chael Sonnen does interview with Canada's Biggest Douche in the Media, Michael Landsberg, hilarity ensues. Landsberg acts like a pussy on his show.. typical idiot no nothing who only knows Anderson Silva and GSP as those are his only talking points, I was shocked that Chael didn't make light of how muc make up Landsberg wears which i of itself is just embarrassing, no mans lips should ever look like he's advertising how good he can suck a dick.

Click Here for Video.

Surprised that this is the first time somebody has walked out of an interview with him, I haven;t be able to stand the guy in about a decade and usually only tune in when Onrait and Company fill in when Mr. Mac Make Up decides to get his nails done.