UFC News and Discussion Thread

Money is on the loser fighting the loser of the Lesnar vs Overeem fight. So if Lesnar loses you get your wish, or if he wins and beats JDS and Cain beats 'Reem you get your wish. It's just a matter of time is what I'm trying to say, it's the benefit of having a lack of depth at heavyweight.

Pffft, everyone knows that if Brock wins his title back he'll have to finally get a decisive win over Frank Mir.

IT'S NOT OVER.

Guest mr. potato head

But again, the lighter weight guys have only been in the UFC for 10 and a half months, you can't expect them to be up there straight away, the Heavyweight division has been around for 15 years in the UFC, the 135 and 145 less than one.

I don't know how they are going to progress unless they are given equal treatment though. I'd like to say lightweights have it equally as bad. Only four lightweight championship fights haven't had another title on the line on the same show, or featured a hyped 'superfight' (Couture vs Toney and A. Silva vs. Griffin). The basic view seems to be that the small guys can't sell PPV's on their own and need propping up. Unfortunately it seems to hold true. But again I'd question if this perception isn't reinforced by 'protecting' the lighter guys by stacking cards where they main events as it takes attention away from them.

I don't think that's true at all really. Whenever UFC has a weak (in terms of drawing power) champion in any weight class, they get stacked cards. Look at Anderson Silva. BJ Penn was a PPV draw on his own, so he was trusted to carry shows. Frankie Edgar is not, so he's not (but, as with Silva, they're hoping he'll slowly build into one).

If Overeem can manage to pass a drugs test, I'm sure Barnett can find a way.

And what is the basis for the accusation of Overeem being unable to pass a drugs test?

There is no evidence that he has failed a test, just because he matured and put on muscle doesn't mean he is on steroids, just he trains hard, he is no more well defined than the likes of Brock and Kongo, and yet you still throw a basis accusation his way.

• Like 1

But again, the lighter weight guys have only been in the UFC for 10 and a half months, you can't expect them to be up there straight away, the Heavyweight division has been around for 15 years in the UFC, the 135 and 145 less than one.

I don't know how they are going to progress unless they are given equal treatment though. I'd like to say lightweights have it equally as bad. Only four lightweight championship fights haven't had another title on the line on the same show, or featured a hyped 'superfight' (Couture vs Toney and A. Silva vs. Griffin). The basic view seems to be that the small guys can't sell PPV's on their own and need propping up. Unfortunately it seems to hold true. But again I'd question if this perception isn't reinforced by 'protecting' the lighter guys by stacking cards where they main events as it takes attention away from them.

I don't think that's true at all really. Whenever UFC has a weak (in terms of drawing power) champion in any weight class, they get stacked cards. Look at Anderson Silva. BJ Penn was a PPV draw on his own, so he was trusted to carry shows. Frankie Edgar is not, so he's not (but, as with Silva, they're hoping he'll slowly build into one).

Also plenty of heavier weight classes have had strong back up on PPVs, GSP vs Hughes 3 had Wanderlei vs Chuck as the co-main, Sylvia vs Big Nog had Lesnar vs Mir as back up, Forrest and Rashad had Big Nog vs Mir, just to name a few.

I am not saying the perception is wrong, its just that Edgar is not a draw like BJ was yet, if he wins another fight or two we could then be talking about him being a big draw, plus if the Fox deal leads to greater buy rates, the likes of an Edgar could be a household name in the future.

Guest mr. potato head

There has only ever been one lightweight draw. He was an ex welterweight champion (oh and Sanchez who was an ex welterweight fighter/TUF winner, when TUF meant something).

Because for years UFC didn't have a lightweight title so of course they'd fight at welterweight. That's like saying UFC will never care about their bantamweight division because they've only headlined one PPV in 18 years.

There has only ever been one lightweight draw. He was an ex welterweight champion (oh and Sanchez who was an ex welterweight fighter/TUF winner, when TUF meant something).

Because for years UFC didn't have a lightweight title so of course they'd fight at welterweight. That's like saying UFC will never care about their bantamweight division because they've only headlined one PPV in 18 years.

Spot on, the lightweight division as we know it has only been around for 5 years, in that time we have seen 3 fighters be good draws, with another couple being close, the three being BJ Penn, Ken Flo and Sanchez, with the two Sherk (before injuries) and now Edgar. I think its silly to dismiss the division as it creates a fantastic base to the product, even though the smaller guys may not be fighting at the top of the card.

In fairness, Edgar isn't exactly the easiest fighter to hype at this point. He's not a showman capable of selling fights off of his own back (not that he has to be), and he doesn't really have the highlight reel finishes that bump up buys. I understand he's been involved in a number of exciting fights, but they aren't as easy to sell as a fighter who has a series of KOs or sick submissions.

Yeah, it was being speculated that anything under 5 million would be considered a disappointment for Fox. That's stupid though, as it got way better ratings than whatever crap Fox normally airs in that time slot. Plus it was competing with the Pacquiao fight.

Really? I would of thought trebling the TUF audience and doubling the Primetime special's audience would be a success.

Some people are never happy.