UFC News and Discussion Thread

I'm still waiting on confirmation from a friend to see if his satellite is working yet. We got screwed out of WrestleMania because of it 2 weeks ago. He had some guy look at it yesterday, so I'm trying to call him as we speak.

I've seen a couple of these guys fight before, but don't know enough about any of them to really judge - but I am getting more and more into MMA. I really hope Chuck can pull off the win though.

I'm not really a fan of Lindland or Babalu but I expect them both to win relatively easily. I also anticipate we'll get to see one of the undercard fights as a result of these two fights being short.

St. Pierre could be a stud, and I think he HAD Hughes beat but got a bit sloppy, and it cost him the match as he eventually had to submit. I don't think he'll make that mistake next time, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him with the WW title by the end of the year.

I've said it before but one of my favorites will always be whoever Matt Hughes is facing. I just don't know what it is about him but I hope he gets his ass kicked every time he fights. Having said that, I still expect him to roll over Trigg in say the late 2nd/early 3rd with a submission.

The same can basically be said about the Main Event. Yes, Randy Couture is amazing. Yes, he's a legend. Yes, he's an inspiration as a 40+ year old athlete on top of his game. And even with all of that, I just flat out don't like 'The Natural/Captain America'. After his biased shenanigans with his fighters on TUF I hope Chuck breaks his jaw, but I don't see that happening. Sadly, I expect Couture will hump and grind his way for a decision or late TKO due to strikes. I'd mark out like a bitch though if EBG's predictions of a round 1 KO by Chuck took place.

I've said it before but one of my favorites will always be whoever Matt Hughes is facing. I just don't know what it is about him but I hope he gets his ass kicked every time he fights. Having said that, I still expect him to roll over Trigg in say the late 2nd/early 3rd with a submission.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest CompletePlayer

They just aired Hughes vs. Trigg I a few hours ago on a 1-hour UFC special on Fox Sports, and Hughes outclassed Trigg. I'm surprised UFC would give Trigg a rematch with Hughes. Trigg will train hard and come up with another strategy for this fight. Hughes has been vulnerable in recent fights so Trigg has a very good shot. I am still picking Hughes by Submission in Round 2.

I didn't know who to pick in Liddell vs. Couture until I heard them cornering during the Southworth vs. Bonnar fight in Ultimate Fighter. Couture would tell Bonnar to watch for the right followed by the left hook. Seconds later Liddell would tell Bobby to do that exact combination. I'm thinking, "I hoping Chuck is watching this. He better come up with new striking combos or that age finally catches up with Randy because Randy knows exactly what Chuck is going to do." I am taking Randy by TKO in Round 4.

Edited by CompletePlayer

The only reasoning I can see behind giving Trigg another title is that he handled Charuto Verissimo much easier than Hughes did. Charuto had Hughes' number a few times in their fight. Matt barely escaped some sticky situations and won the close decision. Trigg, on the other hand, seem to be in clear control at times, he survived that dangerous triangle choke (the same one that was so close to putting Hughes out aswell) and worked the ground n' pound very well, finishing off Verissimo in the 2nd.

Either that or the Welterweight division is really strapped for talent, which it isn't.

Mike Van Arsdale vs. John Marsh

Prediction: Van Arsdale by Submission in Round 1

Van Arsdale is better than people think. He fought all the way back at UFC 18 against Joe Pardo and his only loss is against Wanderlei Silva. Marsh has fought once in five years, against "Cabbage" Corriera at ROTR 5. I don't see Mike losing.

Joe "Diesel" Riggs vs. Ivan Salaverry

Joe Doerksen vs. Patrick Cote

Matt Lindland vs. Travis Lutter

Prediction: Lindland by 2nd round Submission

I just don't see Lutter being able to do the same thing he did with Marvin Eastman. I agree with EBG, it'll be slow and boring but Lindland will do enough to take it within the distance

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jason Miller

Prediction: St. Pierre by TKO in Round 2

I know "Mayhem" is talented, but he's fought in Superbrawl. I just don't see him being able to go over Georges.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Travis Wiuff

Prediction: Babalu by stoppage in Round 1

The fights he fought at IFC Global Domination, especially against Shogun were a thing of beauty. Wiuff has experience but again I can't see that crossing over to the UFC.

UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg

Prediction: Hughes retains by Submission in Round 2

I want to go Trigg but Hughes is a machine. The only real time I've seen him in trouble recently was the fight against B.J Penn. I don't think Trigg can bully Hughes around and eventually he will tap out again

UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell

Prediction: Couture by Submission in Round 3

Like EBG with Trigg I make no secret that I am a HUGE Chuck Liddell fan and my heart really hopes he can do it tonight. But that said my head say Couture is the man. Captain America just has too many guns and Chuck is going to have to keep the fight up to win.

Used to follw UFC very heavily (Back when it first started) but this will be the first ppv I've watched in years , with that I'm goignt o make predictions for tonights even , which looks killer on paper , hope it turns out the same

My Predictions

Matt Lindland vs. Travis Lutter

Prediction: Only seen a few bouts by both of these guys but I'm going to say Linland wins it by knockout in the 3rd round

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jason Miller

Prediction: I really like Millers work and think he will pull away with a fast victory in the first round.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Travis Wiuff

Predictions: Seen several of Sobral's bouts and he's very impressive . He'll win by submission in the 3rd round.

UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg

Prediction: Matt Hughes is without a doubt awesome as is Trigg , but Matt has the stuff and I see this match as being pretty good but matt will win by Decision

UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell

Prediction: Chuck Liddell is the man. how can you not like a man with that hairstyle. watched the match where he tore into Tito and saw the match where Couture beat Chuck. this one won't last long as Chuck will win by Ko with 20 seconds left in the first.

this is going to well worth the ordering price

MMAWeekly reports from Las Vegas that ESPN executives will be in attendance for tonight's UFC action and watching closely. They were impressed with the fights on The Ultimate Fighter. They still have concerns about Mixed Martial Arts being "too bloody" for prime-time television i.e. Forrest and Bonnar.

credit: MMAWeekly.com

Guest CompletePlayer

The only reasoning I can see behind giving Trigg another title is that he handled Charuto Verissimo much easier than Hughes did. Charuto had Hughes' number a few times in their fight. Matt barely escaped some sticky situations and won the close decision. Trigg, on the other hand, seem to be in clear control at times, he survived that dangerous triangle choke (the same one that was so close to putting Hughes out aswell) and worked the ground n' pound very well, finishing off Verissimo in the 2nd.

Either that or the Welterweight division is really strapped for talent, which it isn't.

Live prelim coverage...

Mike Van Arsdale over John Marsh by unanimous decision after 3 rounds (Mike won 2 of the 3 rounds clearly)

Joe Doerksen over Patrick Cote by submission (rear naked choke) in the 3rd round (Joe won the 1st, Cote dominated the rest of the fight up to the choke where he lost it)

Ivan Salaverry over Joe Riggs by submission (triangle armbar) in the 1st round (the triangle came after a big head kick from Ivan)

Attendence was said be very high for the prelims, approx 8,000... That's pretty packed for the prelim fights.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

From here on in the main pay-per-view...

I'll be updating with results whenever I get the chance.

This is just a place saver for now.

***ALL PPV RESULTS WILL BE ADDED TO THIS POST!***

Georges St. Pierre over Jason Miller by unanimous judges decision after 3rds (very good contest, St. Pierre looked hella impressive. Sub attempts by Georges, equally good sub defense by Miller.. Good ground n' pound by Georges...Great fight... St. Pierre is the future! Marks out for the St. Pierre backflip!)

Matt Lindland over Travis Lutter by submission (guillotine choke) in the 2nd round (that was, uh, a little less than exciting... Still, good takedowns by Lindland, good ground n' pound, nice overall control by Matt. Your basic run of the mill Matt Lindland fight.)

Matt Hughes over Frank Trigg by submission (rear naked choke) in the 1st round (Great fight! Great stare down between the two pre fight. Matt Hughes goes all badass on Trigg in that. I'm pumped up still... I thought Trigg had Matt's number with that choke! I wanted Trigg to win, but I'm glad Hughes won... And for the record, that's the second time Hughes has made Trigg tap to a rear naked choke in the 1st round.)

Renato "Babalu" Sobral over Travis Wiuff by submission (straight armbar) in the 2nd round (Good showing by Renato. Dominated that fight, IMO...Great ground n' pound, nice elbows, some good takedowns.)

Chuck Liddell over Randy Couture by KO in the 1st round! ( Chuck Liddell is your NEW Light Heavyweight Champion folks.. KTFO Couture in the first round.)

Edited by Enter Blue Guy