UFC News and Discussion Thread

I've just been thinking. They'd want to strike while the Ultimate Fighter iron's hot right? Could Chuck actually defend against Forrest Griffin at UFC 54?

I think that'd be an insult to everyone in UFC who has worked for a title shot, but hasn't got one yet.

I've just been thinking. They'd want to strike while the Ultimate Fighter iron's hot right? Could Chuck actually defend against Forrest Griffin at UFC 54?

I think that'd be an insult to everyone in UFC who has worked for a title shot, but hasn't got one yet.

I still think Babalu is the only guy they can put up against Chuck as a worthy contender right now. It's too soon for one of the TUF winners to get a title shot, even though Forrest vs. Chuck would make for a nice little teacher vs. student kind of fight.

I think it was best that Rich Franklin decided to go back to 185, but his presence in the Light Heavyweight would have been made the division deeper. The LHW is the most marketable division but it's seriously lacking depth. You've got four big stars, Liddell, Randy, Vitor, and Tito (if he resigns, which he should and will), but no supporting fighters. They could maybe try to bring a few Middleweights up a weight class, you have Babalu already, Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffen could add something if they prove themselves in a few fights first, they already have some name value.

Middleweight is deep enough already to give a few fighters away. I mean Evan Tanner, Rich Franklin, Robbie Lawler, David Terrell, Matt Lindland, Ivan Salaverry, Lee Murray, Joe Doerksen, and David Loiseau. A few of those guys could pass as Light Heavyweights.

Meh, I thought I'd just post this tidbit here.

In another MMAWeekly exclusive, it looks as though Pride and the UFC are in talks regarding Pride's willingness to send one of their fighters to the upcoming UFC 53 card in Atlantic City.

There have been plenty of names mentioned regarding who they would send to enter the Octagon. At one time, Mirko Cro Cop was the lead candidate to represent Pride in the UFC, but now it looks as though there has been some conversation regarding Minotauro Nogueira.

MMAWeekly has learned that there have been some initial talks regarding Nogueira and Tim Sylvia; but as of now, nothing has been signed. It's been just talk so far. By the end of the week, we should have a better idea how close the two sides are to working something out for the June 4th show.

credit: MMAWeekly.com

• 2 weeks later...

Spike TV and The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today that they had come to an agreement for new programming, including two new seasons of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series. Season two will debut on Spike TV on Monday 8/22 at 11 PM, the same timeslot it held for the first season. There are also plans to air six live fight cards in 2005 and 2006, as well as a new one hour, 26 episode series of UFC Highlight moments from past PPVs.

Spike's deal with UFC is the network's first move towards replacing WWE programming, a staple of the network and its highest ratings draw since the inception of the Spike TV concept (and previously when it was named The National Network) as WWE will be leaving this October for the USA Network.

Spike TV has also had discussions with both TNA and a group headed by Kevin Sullivan and JJ Dillon about potential programming, although there is no word on how far those talks have progressed beyond their original meetings.

The Network has not publicly announced plans for what would replace Raw in the Monday evening 9 PM timeslot.

In a little more detail from Sherdog

Exclusive Deal Includes Two New Seasons of "The Ultimate Fighter™," LIVE Fights, Plus 26 UFC Specials

NEW YORK, NY, May 3, 2005 - Spike TV and The Ultimate Fighting Championship organization have agreed to a two-year strategic partnership, it was announced jointly today by Doug Herzog, President, Spike TV and Dana White, President, Zuffa, LLC d/b/a Ultimate Fighting Championship®. The main components of the deal are new seasons of the highly-rated reality series, The Ultimate Fighter™, which will premiere Monday, August 22 at 11:00pm ET/PT. In addition the deal includes six LIVE fight cards - two this year and four in '06. The announcement comes on the heels of the finale of The Ultimate Fighter which drew 2.6 million viewers and more Men 18-34 than CBS's Masters golf tournament coverage on Saturday, April 9.

"The UFC® brand is a sports entity on the rise and we are thrilled to continue our already successful relationship with them," said Herzog. "The passion and dedication that Dana White brings to the sport of mixed martial arts and the brand is the driving force behind its success."

"We always knew that Spike TV would be an incredible partner to work with and one of the best places for our product to be viewed. We were right on both counts," noted White.

“The Ultimate Fighter is a show like none other and it found its audience like a heat seeking missile from the beginning. It continues to beat down the competition and we can’t wait to produce the next two seasons,” said Craig Piligian, the executive producer for the show.

The Spike TV deal includes the following:

•A second and third season of the highly successful reality series, The Ultimate Fighter. Production for Season 2 will begin in early June and consist of eight heavyweights and eight welterweights. Celebrity coaches and a host are to be announced. The show will once again be taped in Las Vegas where the company maintains its UFC® Training Center.

• Six LIVE fight cards featuring some of the well-known names from UFC sporting events. Two will be in '05 and four in '06.

• 26 one-hour episodes of an untitled series of great moments from the UFC® vast library of fight footage.

Season #1 (13 weeks) of The Ultimate Fighter averaged a 1.7 HH rating (1.5 million) with a 2.0 (1,015,000) in M18-49 a 2.4 (604,000) in M18-34 and an average audience of 2.1 million viewers. Forrest Griffin (light heavyweight) and Diego Sanchez (middleweight) were The Ultimate Fighter champions for the premiere season and each received a six-figure deal with the UFC® organization. Stephan Bonnar was also awarded a contract after his epic battle in the Finals versus Griffin. The audience peaked during the Bonnar/Griffin fight with 3.3 million viewers.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Red Devil

Good news for UFC. Just to note for British viewers who want to catch The Ultimate Fighter. It's going to be on at 11pm on BRAVO tonight. Should be good.

• 4 weeks later...

Two Ultimate Fighting Championship  titles will be at stake when interim heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski takes on challenger Justin Eilers and middleweight champ Evan Tanner meets up-and-coming Rich Franklin at UFC 53: Heavy Hitters at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ, on Saturday, June 4.  Six additional bouts will complete the heavy-hitting, eight-fight card, most of which will be available LIVE on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EDT, on iN Demand, DIRECTV, Dish Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $34.95.

UFC 53 FIGHT CARD*

Interim Heavyweight Championship

Andrei Arlovski (8-3-0)

vs. Justin Eilers (9-3-1)

Middleweight Championship

Evan Tanner (33-4)

vs. Rich Franklin (19-1)

Undercard

(Light Heavyweight Division)

Forrest Griffin (10-2-0)

vs. Bill Mahood (12-2-1)

(Welterweight Division)

Matt Serra (13-3-0)

vs. Karo Parisyan (21-3-0)

Nick Diaz (10-3-0)

vs. Koji Oishi (11-3-4)

(Middleweight Division)

David Loiseau (12-4-0)

vs. Charles McCarthy (8-2-0)

Nate Quarry (6-1-0)

vs. Shonie Carter (66-12-7)

(Heavyweight Division)

Paul Buentello (17-7-0)

vs. Kevin Jordan (7-2-0)

Credit: MMA Weekly.com

Predictions...

Andrei Arlovski (8-3-0)

Rich Franklin (19-1)

Undercard

Forrest Griffin (10-2-0)

(Welterweight Division)

Karo Parisyan (21-3-0)

Nick Diaz (10-3-0)

(Middleweight Division)

Charles McCarthy (8-2-0)

Nate Quarry (6-1-0)

(Heavyweight Division)

Kevin Jordan (7-2-0)

I'm definetly looking forward to the Tanner fight , hopefully I won't forget about this and order it on time cause it looks like a decent event

My Predictions:

Andrei Arlovski (8-3-0)

Evan Tanner (33-4)

Undercard

Forrest Griffin (10-2-0)

(Welterweight Division)

Matt Serra (13-3-0)

Nick Diaz (10-3-0)

(Middleweight Division)

David Loiseau (12-4-0)

Shonie Carter (66-12-7)

(Heavyweight Division)

Paul Buentello (17-7-0)

Guest Red Devil

Just wanted to know if anyone in the UK knew if this was airing on BRAVO? UFC 52 aired on a 24 hour delay last time so I'm hoping this one airs too. I was a huge fan of TUF so seeing Nate and Forrest in action should be great. Where's Diego though? No real big names but a collection of solid fights.

On Diego...

As for the middleweight champion, it looks as if Diego Sanchez will wait until August. Sanchez’s trainer, Greg Jackson commented about both Diego’s debut and the weight class that he will be fighting at. “We’re looking at August right now. We don’t have a definite opponent, but we’re hoping August. He (Diego) will be fighting at 170 lbs, which is more his natural fight weight.”

credit: MMA Weekly.com