UFC News and Discussion Thread

I would have got this...but for one I was out and two...I just wasn't sure about me liking it..I liked the Ultimate Fighter but I don't know if I could watch 3 hours of it...maybe just not for me...

I'm interested to see what happens tonight with Liddell and Couture though...but I wasn't gonna pay 30 for one match (those are the only two I know) like I would for WWE/TNA

Guest Robby2Slobby

In all seriousness does 'Mayhem' have "difficulties"? I've never see a dude so enthused to get his ass kicked for 10 minutes. St. Pierre's owned him for 2 rounds and just needs to hold on for the 'W'.

Matt Hughes over Frank Trigg by submission (rear naked choke) in the 1st round (OH SHIT! Great fight! Great stare down between the two pre fight. Matt Hughes goes all badass on Trigg in that. I'm pumped up still... I thought Trigg had Matt's number with that choke! Man...I can't even type! I wanted Trigg to win, but I'm glad Hughes won... And for the record, that's the second time Hughes has made Trigg tap to a rear naked choke in the 1st round.)

Chuck Liddell over Randy Couture by KNOCK THE FUCK OUT! in the FIRST FUCKING ROUND! (HOLY SHIT! I PREDICTED IT RIGHT! Oh my God.. I'm going nuts here... Man, Chuck Liddell is your NEW Light Heavyweight Champion folks.. KTFO Couture in the first round... My lord..)

Complete Results

Mike Van Arsdale over John Marsh by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

Joe Doerksen over Patrick Cote by submission (rear naked choke) in the 3rd round

Ivan Salaverry over Joe Riggs by submission (triangle armbar) in the 1st round

Georges St. Pierre over Jason Miller by unanimous judges decision after 3 rounds

Matt Lindland over Travis Lutter by submission (guillotine choke) in the 2nd round

Matt Hughes over Frank Trigg by submission (rear naked choke) in the 1st round

Renato "Babalu" Sobral over Travis Wiuff by submission (straight armbar) in the 2nd round

Chuck Liddell over Randy Couture by KO in the 1st round

I went perfect 5 for 5 on the pay-per-view predictions, disregarding specifics of course.. Except for Chuck KO'ing Randy in the 1st.. I'm so proud of the prediction. I thought for sure it would have never happened. Damn, I should have put money on it!

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

They tape the prelims before the show just in case they have a lot of time to fill if the main card fights run short. With both title fights ending in the 1st round, they potentially had 40 minutes (4 extra rounds at five minutes each, times 2 fights) of dead air if each fight had gone the distance. I forget which PPV it was that they had almost an hour of nothing going on, and for some reason they didn't show the prelims, but it caused a big furor from the fans who felt ripped off. I'd imagine UFC wanted to avoid the bad press they'd receive from a repeat performance.

Edited by naiwf

Boo...Randy's getting too old...doesn't mean I like Liddell winning though...I sorta seen Chuck beating him, but KO I didn't expect...

And damnit EBG, why aren't you keeping me updated with Pride?I can't be bothered going to Sherdog or any other place like that anymore....

You have no idea how much I marked out when Randy 'The TUFixer' Couture's leg buckled from that bomb, and Chuck finally polished him off with two completely unnecessary but enjoyable powershots to the grill. It was like BATISTA cleanly pinning HHH at WM XXI only turned up 1,000 times since it was unexpected :thumbsup:

The rest of the show was excellent though I wanted Trigg to win so badly when he had that RNC on Hughes. St. Pierre was great, and Babalu showed me something tonight. A definite thumbs up of a show, especially with the two prelim fights added in. Doerkson was a monster coming back from a near KO to choke his opponent out, and that KO kick/triangle choke from the seated position by Salavery (sp?) was perhaps the best move of the whole night.

Can't wait for UFC 53 in 7 weeks. Rich 'Ace' Franklin vs Evan Tanner for the Middleweight Title and Andrei Arlvoski feeding on Justin Eilers should be just as exciting as the two title matches tonight.

Edited by naiwf

Damn right Doerkson was a monster, Winnipeg homeboy.

I was surprised that Liddel got knocked out so quickly, I thought it may have been the eye bothering him, but on the replay he got hit by a solid fucking punch. I think Couture knows his days are numbered, I'm guessing there will be a Liddell-Couture III around UFC 56 or 57 and that could possibly be his last fight.

The Hughes bout was a solid bout. I thought the mouthguard came flying off as I saw something go flying when Hughes pointed to the referee. Instead, he got sacked. Nice comeback to put on the RNC for the victory. One would assume Trigg would have learned to counter that, I assumed wrong.

The other fights weren't that bad, but in the other bouts I was conversing with friends instead of really watching them.

Justin Eilers is tough fighter and should be taken seriously. I think Andrei will take the fight, but the last thing he should do is look past him. Franklin vs. Tanner is the fight I want to see more than anything. I think Tanner will take him, but it's another toss up.

I'm still in shock after Chuck KO'd Randy. I didn't think it would actually happen and when I saw it I just went apeshit. Classic. Chuck's long quest for that title finally ends in success. Good for him, he deserves it. A rematch between Babalu and Liddell would be interesting now. Not sure where Randy goes from here though.

I also think Georges St. Pierre deserves a rematch against Matt Hughes. I mean, the Welterweight division has some other great contenders in it with Karo Parysian, Nick Diaz, and Charuto Verissimo, but I believe that St. Pierre deserves another shot, considering how even the fight was until the sudden armbar by Hughes in the dying seconds. There is even cause to argue that Georges would have won the round if it weren't for that armbar. Georges should get that next title shot. If Trigg can get another after his first loss to Hughes, then St. Pierre sure as hell deserves another.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest CompletePlayer

I think they could do Randy/Chuck 3. Vitor is competing in the upcoming PRIDE tournament so he could either be available next week or until August. They are renegotiating with Tito.