UFC News and Discussion Thread

Depending on how well Vitor does in the Grand Prix he could be contender for the LHW belt. It would be nice to see somebody different in the LHW title picture for once. Like I just said, Babalu would be interesting in a rematch with Chuck. If Belfort does well in the GP, I could see him coming back as a contender for sure, but he could be involved in the tourney for up to 3 events if he goes far enough.

I'm trying to get back into ufc and need suggestions for dvds. I really like watching good submission matches but theres nothing better than good fist flying brawl either. Any help will be greatly appreciated

They tape the prelims before the show just in case they have a lot of time to fill if the main card fights run short. With both title fights ending in the 1st round, they potentially had 40 minutes (4 extra rounds at five minutes each, times 2 fights) of dead air if each fight had gone the distance. I forget which PPV it was that they had almost an hour of nothing going on, and for some reason they didn't show the prelims, but it caused a big furor from the fans who felt ripped off. I'd imagine UFC wanted to avoid the bad press they'd receive from a repeat performance.

I'm not the real person to ask. We only just got a UFC deal in the past six months. (I think our first DVD in Australia was UFC 38? Brawl at the Hall). I like UFC 44 Undisputed though.

That may have something to do with the fact that I like seeing Tito get owned.

Yeah, the main event is a little less than exciting.

But seeing Liddell land a sweet kick to Babalu's face rocks. Nothing against him or anything, but man is that an awesome kick!

As for suggestions, I have all 3 Ultimate Knockout DVDs - try some of those.

Ultimate Knockouts are a good buy, especially if you don't have the cash to buy a bunch of events some of which are impossible to find. Anything before UFC 40 is hard to find anywhere besides the net and I believe the only started putting events on DVD at UFC 38 or 39.

Also, the Ultimate Hits Vol. 1 and 2 DVDs showcase a shit load of the older UFC bouts, some in whole, some clipped. Good buy, especially Hits 1, for those who grew up watching the old school UFC. Vol. 1 is from UFC 1 to 16 and Vol. 2 is from UFC 17 to 23.

Babalu's good, I'll give him that. But to be fair, I never really got into his fight. Even his fight last night, I just sort of watched half assed.

I get the feeling that for UFC 54 Liddel will fight Babalu, but the real money draw will be Liddel-Couture III at UFC 56, which I'm predicting is Couture's last fight. Something tells me he'll go off on a high note fighting his big rival and if he loses, he'll retire before he starts to lose a lot.

I'd rather see Liddell/Ortiz II than Chuck facing either Babalu or Couture right now. Or they could have Randy face Tito again with the winner taking on Chuck. Regardless of what they decide Chuck being the champion opens up better fight possibilites, so I'm happy about that.

All we need now is to bring BJ Penn back so he can choke Matt Hughes out with ease again :shifty:

The Welterweight division is pretty deep right now.

With guys like Matt Hughes, Frank Trigg, Georges St. Pierre, Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Charuto Verissimo, Chris Lytle, and the chance of BJ Penn coming back the possibilities are endless. Right now I think St. Pierre deserves a shot at the belt, then after that the winner of a Diaz vs. Karo rematch should get the next shot.

I'd love to see BJ come back though. I'm not a fan of his, but he is without a doubt one of the best pound for pound fighters today, if not the best. His only recent loss, which happened to be his most recent fight, was to Ryoto Machida aka Lyoto, a tough Brazilian who is getting a lot of praise in Japan under K-1's MMA division. Lyoto, who is the only man to get the better of Rich "Ace" Franklin, is a heavyweight while BJ was fighting as a Middleweight by UFC restrictions. Lyoto fought at 215-220 outweighed Penn who fought at 180. Even though Penn lost, he took the heavier, stronger, very talented Machida to the limit where Lyoto got the JD. That's impressive, regardless if it is a loss or not. Besides that loss he has wins over the previously undefeated Rodrigo Gracie, Duane "Bang" Ludwig, Matt Hughes, Caol Uno, Matt Serra, and won a war against the extremely dangerous Takanori Gomi in what was said to be the best fight of 2003. Penn is a fucking machine and even though I don't really like him he's one of the best out there today, hands down. Hopefully we'll see him in the UFC again getting a chance to win back the title he never lost.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I've just been thinking. They'd want to strike while the Ultimate Fighter iron's hot right? Could Chuck actually defend against Forrest Griffin at UFC 54?

I've just been thinking. They'd want to strike while the Ultimate Fighter iron's hot right? Could Chuck actually defend against Forrest Griffin at UFC 54?

I think that'd be an insult to everyone in UFC who has worked for a title shot, but hasn't got one yet.