House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Having watched the episode last night, I can't add much to what everyone else has said, but I'll try anyway.

I, too, have never seen Stannis as the paragon of virtue some people on the Internet have, and the fact that he did what he did doesn't surprise me, given his track record thus far. I think his popularity has more to do with his perceived "badass" status than his moral code, a bit like how some people got behind Gus Fring in Breaking Bad during his war with the Mexican Cartel. He's a ruthless, Machiavellian leader for certain, but he's seen to be fighting stoically against an even greater foe, a lot of his misdeeds seem to be forgotten, at least up until now.

Having said that, I think the writers could have done a much better job of conveying his reasoning behind the sacrifice. As others have said, the U-turn from the point at which he angrily dismissed the idea of killing his daughter and actually committing the act seem abrupt and jarring, and they could have done with putting over the turning point a little more clearly. The impression I got was that the infiltration of the Bolton men was supposed to push him over the edge and, in his own twisted mind, force his hand, but his demeanor at the time came across as being far too nonchalant for my taste. As a man who, against the wishes of his wife, loved his disfigured daughter, the transition between steadfast family loyalty and reluctant infanticide should have been made much more apparent.

Also, it's been understandably forgotten thanks to the other aforementioned events in the episode, but the Meryn Trant scene in the brothel was so uncomfortable to watch. His dismissive utterance of "too old" until he was presented with a girl who (and kindly correct me if I'm wrong) looked like a child through and through. I know Game of Thrones is based on a time in history when girls were considered sexually viable as soon as they'd had their first period, but that girl looked pre-pubescent, and terrified to boot. It was just another reason, if ever we needed it, to want to see Meryn meet his end in a suitably painful fashion.

• Like 1

I don't think Arya is going to get to kill him. All along Jaqen has been asking her who she is (no one) and made her get rid of all her possessions (when she hid Needle). The whole point of her being able to join the Faceless Men is that she had to shed her old personality, so I think she'll try to kill him and they'll stop her. Her assigned target is the Thin Man, not Meryn.

I don't think Arya is going to get to kill him. All along Jaqen has been asking her who she is (no one) and made her get rid of all her possessions (when she hid Needle). The whole point of her being able to join the Faceless Men is that she had to shed her old personality, so I think she'll try to kill him and they'll stop her. Her assigned target is the Thin Man, not Meryn.

I personally don't think Arya will ever become 'no one'. She's going to take this training, and apply it to reach HER own goals.

• Like 1

So you think someone is going to get satisfactory revenge against everyone that has wronged them?

Do you watch this show? :P

• Like 1

S05E09

Oh God. I know it's coming and it already hurts. I'm glad they're getting Davos out of there though, he wouldn't let it happen and at least point the "good" characters are running out.

As much as Dorne has been castrated, I'm enjoying Doran.

Meryn "Fuckin" Trant is a real fucking greasy bastard isn't he? His death will be satisfying.

Shereen. Fuck this shit. May as well burn a puppy. The screams. Fuck all of them. I hope Stannis and the Red Witch get skinned alive. Team Bolton.

This leader of the Gladiators is no Dario Cuerto. Jorah wins Money in the Bank too. Meanwhile, Tyrion is scoring a lot of points and increases his bad ass level.

Dany be like: "I choose you, Chariz...Drogon!" Awesome scene.

S05E09

Oh God. I know it's coming and it already hurts. I'm glad they're getting Davos out of there though, he wouldn't let it happen and at least point the "good" characters are running out.

As much as Dorne has been castrated, I'm enjoying Doran.

Meryn "Fuckin" Trant is a real fucking greasy bastard isn't he? His death will be satisfying.

Shereen. Fuck this shit. May as well burn a puppy. The screams. Fuck all of them. I hope Stannis and the Red Witch get skinned alive. Team Bolton.

This leader of the Gladiators is no Dario Cuerto. Jorah wins Money in the Bank too. Meanwhile, Tyrion is scoring a lot of points and increases his bad ass level.

Dany be like: "I choose you, Chariz...Drogon!" Awesome scene.

Team Bolton is a horrible team.

• Like 4

You're rooting for the bigger evil because of one event? I mean, granted, it was uncomfortable and awful but if it comes down to Team Bolton vs. Team Baratheon, I think Team Bolton's done way worse and done it in the name of sadism more than anything (especially in Ramsay's case).

• Like 1

Yeah, Bolton vs. Stannis is going to be like the Steelers vs. the Ravens. You kind of want the ground to open up and just devour everybody so nobody wins.

That can be arranged....

1367761192_bane-speech.jpg

• Like 1

Alls I'm saying is it's not too late to join Team Tyrell. We're probably not going to win but we're going to be cooler than everyone else in losing.

• Like 3