House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Stannis Baretheon's turn is complete and he is now a heel.

Stannis Baretheon has lost overness from this segment.

Heat = overness.

Change Shireen Baratheon's overness to 3000

:shifty:

• Like 6

Ending

Tyrion, Dario, Jorah and Missandei at the end be all like 'Err... what about us? Surrounded by the knife wielding assassins? Thanks, Dany'.

• Like 4

Spoilers regarding the middle and the end of the episode

First of all: Fuck Stannis. Fuck him and his red witch cunt and his cunt wife and everyone in his camp. Fuck them all. Last episode I was mad because I thought that the battle at Hardhome meant that we probably won't get the battle of Winterfell this seasons. Now I honestly don't give a fuck about that anymore. I sincerely hope that Stannis, his witch and his wife get massacred by Ramsay. Like Meacon I don't have a dog in this fight anymore.

And am I wrong or has everyone but Tyrion now been infected with Grey Scale? I mean Dany toucghed Jorah's Hand, Missandei held hands with Dany, Dario was holding Dany's arm while Jorah was also holding her arm trying to guide her. And now that I think of it why shouldn't Tyrion be affected? Yes, Jorah didn't directly touch his skin but wasn't Sharleen infected by a contaminated plushie? So everyone should have grey scale now.

And as much as I like Jorah he is a cunt for not telling anyone. He is more concerned about his own lust for Dany than with Dany's well being itself. Because you can't tell me that Jorah doesn't know how grey scale works.

And who are the Sons Of The Harpy? I thought they were aligned with the masters? Or are these different Sons Of The Harpy? Maybe they are slaves who are doning the masks now because they're unhappy with the pits being reopened?

But most important of all: FUCK STANNIS!

Edited by Hellraiser

Pretty sure Greyscale only transmits if you touch the infected parts themselves, so seeing as it hasn't spread to Jorah's hands yet, everyone should be fine. I could be wrong about that, though.

Editing because I feel the need for a rant of my own.

Okay, this episode was such a let down after last week's. Some parts in particular make very little sense to me.

DORNE - Now, whilst I was really pleased that we finally got to see Doran being the great diplomat that he supposedly is (Alexander Siddig is fantastic), what sense does it have from his standpoint to hand over his extremely valuable 'hostage' and then give the Lannisters one of their own? Ellaria has been utterly terrible all season, and I'm glad Doran finally put an end to her bullshit. She was far more likable in that last scene she has with Jaime where she is actually acting like a rational human being. Also, is it too much to ask to see Areo Hotah just fucking murder someone with that gigantic axe? He's basically been a moving prop for the entire season. D&D need to pull something wonderful out of the bag for Dorne in the last episode or I'm going to fail to see why they bothered. A fair amount of the pre-season hype was around their inclusion, and they have been super-restricted.

MEEREEN - For fuck sake Jorah just forget her already. Move on. So much for Hizdhar being the Harpy too, what explanation are they going to use for the leader now? His entire character has basically been a pointless addition to get her to open the fighting pits now that he's dead and the Harpys killed him. ALSO don't get me started on Dany. What great leadership, a band of ruthless mercenaries have descended on the fighting pits and shit is kicking off everywhere, I'll just nope the fuck right out of here on Drogon and leave all my advisors to die. Dany fans are gonna love that she's riding a dragon now, but seriously, terrible handling of the situation really.

THE WALL - The one plotline that made sense this episode. But D&D really need a lesson in subtlety, we don't need a shot every episode of Olly giving Jon the death stare, I think you've made your point that he's gonna do something.

THE NORTH - WAY TO FUCKING GO, D&D. AND YOU GRRM, SINCE APPARENTLY THIS WAS YOUR DECISION IF THE 'INSIDE THE EPISODE' VIDEO WAS ANY INDICATION. They've ruined the one character I gave a shit about any more. Literally just decimated the entire character they've spent the season building up as the great hero of Westeros. The event itself was bound to happen, they've foreshadowed it for a while, but the reasoning behind it is utter bullshit.

Genuine quote from 'Inside the Episode' from David Benioff: "Once Stannis makes a decision, he never changes his mind."

UM, HELLO? HE LITERALLY TOLD MELISANDRE TO FUCK OFF FOR WANTING TO BURN HIS DAUGHTER NOT TWO EPISODES AGO. THAT SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY BIG CHANGE OF OPINION FOR A GUY WHO DOESN'T CHANGE HIS MIND.

Not to mention Davos changed his mind multiple times, including to get him up to the North in the first place. It makes literally no sense.

Rant over. Fuck the Mannis.

Edited by Stannis Jeratheon

Ending

Tyrion, Dario, Jorah and Missandei at the end be all like 'Err... what about us? Surrounded by the knife wielding assassins? Thanks, Dany'.

Thats what i thought aswell. I hope Stanis kicks her up and down the land.

He is more concerned about his own lust for Dany than with Dany's well being itself.

He is so much like the part of the audience that actually likes her. Dany needs to die, she is somewere between not fit to lead and a Nazi. It´s so ridicules. Such a wast having Tyrion there, i hope something happens to this storyline soon so the most interesting character period is not lost for another season being drunk and getting fed some lines to somehow throw some words into a random conversation... Dani must die, Tyrion can take over her "Kingdome". Fun!

spoilers regarding the end:

Another big question I had for the ending: Why didn't the fuckign dragon just fry all the Sons Of The Harpy? Is there a limitation on how much fire a dragon can breathe at one time?

Edited by Hellraiser

Pretty sure Greyscale only transmits if you touch the infected parts themselves, so seeing as it hasn't spread to Jorah's hands yet, everyone should be fine. I could be wrong about that, though.

Okay, this episode was such a let down after last week's. Some parts in particular make very little sense to me.

DORNE - Now, whilst I was really pleased that we finally got to see Doran being the great diplomat that he supposedly is (Alexander Siddig is fantastic), what sense does it have from his standpoint to hand over his extremely valuable 'hostage' and then give the Lannisters one of their own? Ellaria has been utterly terrible all season, and I'm glad Doran finally put an end to her bullshit. She was far more likable in that last scene she has with Jaime where she is actually acting like a rational human being. Also, is it too much to ask to see Areo Hotah just fucking murder someone with that gigantic axe? He's basically been a moving prop for the entire season. D&D need to pull something wonderful out of the bag for Dorne in the last episode or I'm going to fail to see why they bothered. A fair amount of the pre-season hype was around their inclusion, and they have been super-restricted.

MEEREEN - For fuck sake Jorah just forget her already. Move on. So much for Hizdhar being the Harpy too, what explanation are they going to use for the leader now? His entire character has basically been a pointless addition to get her to open the fighting pits now that he's dead and the Harpys killed him. ALSO don't get me started on Dany. What great leadership, a band of ruthless mercenaries have descended on the fighting pits and shit is kicking off everywhere, I'll just nope the fuck right out of here on Drogon and leave all my advisors to die. Dany fans are gonna love that she's riding a dragon now, but seriously, terrible handling of the situation really.

THE WALL - The one plotline that made sense this episode. But D&D really need a lesson in subtlety, we don't need a shot every episode of Olly giving Jon the death stare, I think you've made your point that he's gonna do something.

THE NORTH - WAY TO FUCKING GO, D&D. AND YOU GRRM, SINCE APPARENTLY THIS WAS YOUR DECISION IF THE 'INSIDE THE EPISODE' VIDEO WAS ANY INDICATION. They've ruined the one character I gave a shit about any more. Literally just decimated the entire character they've spent the season building up as the great hero of Westeros. The event itself was bound to happen, they've foreshadowed it for a while, but the reasoning behind it is utter bullshit.

Genuine quote from 'Inside the Episode' from David Benioff: "Once Stannis makes a decision, he never changes his mind."

UM, HELLO? HE LITERALLY TOLD MELISANDRE TO FUCK OFF FOR WANTING TO BURN HIS DAUGHTER NOT TWO EPISODES AGO. THAT SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY BIG CHANGE OF OPINION FOR A GUY WHO DOESN'T CHANGE HIS MIND.

Not to mention Davos changed his mind multiple times, including to get him up to the North in the first place. It makes literally no sense.

A few things

-Um...Stannis as the great hero of Westeros? What show have you been watching? He killed his brother via shadow baby demon, was happy to bleed Gendry dry, and probably would have killed him had he not been set free. He's a zealot who uses blood magic. I really have no idea how anyone has pegged him as a great hero unless they've only been watching from his appearance at the Wall until now. This isn't some crazy turn for the character, its the next step down the path he's always been on. That being said, fuck that was uncomfortable.

-Doran never viewed her as a hostage, he's concerned with not bringing war to Dorne. If sending them back to Kings Landing is what prevents that, then that's the choice he'll make, but he's smart enough to leverage in some benefits for Dorne in the process. I don't know how you can say Ellaria has been horrible when you seem to be operating from her viewpoint of the situation rather than Doran's.

-Grayscale pretty much cemented the fact that Jorah isn't going to be moving on. He wanted to die for her, and I'm sure eventually he will. (Possibly next week, when they're all massacred by the Sons of the Harpy. Thanks D!) Hizdar served his purpose, he was there as a cog in Dany's plan to try to play politics in Mereen to appease the Masters. That has obviously failed, so there's not much point in him staying around.

-I really hope Olly never does anything, and all these dumb shots of him were utterly pointless.

• Like 4

A few things

-Um...Stannis as the great hero of Westeros? What show have you been watching? He killed his brother via shadow baby demon, was happy to bleed Gendry dry, and probably would have killed him had he not been set free. He's a zealot who uses blood magic. I really have no idea how anyone has pegged him as a great hero unless they've only been watching from his appearance at the Wall until now. This isn't some crazy turn for the character, its the next step down the path he's always been on. That being said, fuck that was uncomfortable.

-Doran never viewed her as a hostage, he's concerned with not bringing war to Dorne. If sending them back to Kings Landing is what prevents that, then that's the choice he'll make, but he's smart enough to leverage in some benefits for Dorne in the process. I don't know how you can say Ellaria has been horrible when you seem to be operating from her viewpoint of the situation rather than Doran's.

-Grayscale pretty much cemented the fact that Jorah isn't going to be moving on. He wanted to die for her, and I'm sure eventually he will. (Possibly next week, when they're all massacred by the Sons of the Harpy. Thanks D!) Hizdar served his purpose, he was there as a cog in Dany's plan to try to play politics in Mereen to appease the Masters. That has obviously failed, so there's not much point in him staying around.

-I really hope Olly never does anything, and all these dumb shots of him were utterly pointless.

Admittedly Stannis hasn't always been the hero, but since S4E10 they've building him up as the man to crush the Boltons and end the Lannister's rule of the throne. Given that the first three seasons, season 3 in particular, has made that pairing of families the most despised on the show, Stannis has been painted as pretty much a saint this season. I'm not overlooking his actions in the past, but why bother with eight episodes supposedly redeeming him if he's just going to sink back in to zealousness? I feel like they've just done it for shock value as a snap decision, when they could at least have shown more of the thought into it. Why, when two episodes ago he was firmly against it, has he suddenly done a 180 just because Ramsey (super improbably btw) has managed to set him back?

Ellaria's character has been horrible because her entire reasoning for what she wants to do is based on some fantasy version in her head. Laws of the realm say a trial by combat isn't murder, and it wasn't even the Lannisters who killed Oberyn, it was Gregor Clegane and his own recklessness. It makes no sense for her to have a Lannister vendetta, let alone against a young girl who wasn't even there when it happened and was assured of safety by Oberyn himself.

Doran-wise, I'm just confused by what exactly he's actually getting out of the arrangement. He didn't view Myrcella as a hostage, but the Lannisters clearly did due to the threat they got that Doran seemingly knew nothing about. From a Lannister standpoint, he's giving up that hostage, and willingly sending his heir to them on the promise of a Small Council position, which given Cersei's actions this season, he probably won't get. If he doesn't have some trick up his sleeve in the finale, he's not exactly gaining much from the situation besides personal diplomacy with Jaime, whose opinion, if we're honest, counts for little with Cersei right now based on how her decision making has gone recently.

I get what your saying about Doran, but from a character standpoint, despite being the best decision anyone has made in Dorne this season, it still seems a little weak to me at the moment. Who knows, I may yet end up surprised. If they take the book path, then I'll understand a bit more, but I won't find out until next week.

Jorah is indeed fucked in the near future. For Hizdhar, I'm just a little taken aback, given he was the obvious choice for the leader of this rebel group and that group has now gone and killed him. Unless this is a different group of other people? I don't really know. I don't object to him dying, either way.

I suppose my overall opinion isn't the decisions they've made, but the way they've gone about those decisions.

Stannis is the Walter White of the Game of Thrones universe. He will have little arcs of redemption, he will do some good, but ultimately he's not a good guy, and only appears to be that way when you ignore large parts of his past. I'd prefer he'd done something besides child burning, but this is the path I'd rather see him going down because its more true to the character. He's still fully into all of Melisandre's shit, which is some bad juju, I'd have hated to see him be presented as a hero and all of that just pushed to the side. Its character defining stuff.

• Like 8

Anyone who thinks Stannis is some kind of heroic figure has been spending to much time on Reddit. He's so consumed with his lust for the power of the Iron Throne that he will sacrifice literally anything to achieve it. He's also an immensely proud man, much to his detriment. You get the feeling that he'd rather die in battle or besieging Winterfell than freezing or starving to death in the middle of nowhere.

What Doran is getting out of sending Myrcella and Trystane to Kings Landing is not getting Dorne crushed in a war. He evidently cares greatly for his people, so sending away his son (and into a position of influence and power) is a small sacrifice to make to save potentially thousands of innocent lives. Doran may actually be the only truly wholesome character in the series.

I'll agree with you on Ellaria though. I don't really get what she is so pissed off about (outside of obviously being a tempestuous woman who lost the love of her life). Oberyn volunteered to fight, he knew the risks and he lost, fair and square. The only explanation I can come up with is that she hates the Lannisters because if they weren't all so fucked up or ordered the murder of Elia, Oberyn would have never been in that position.

• Like 7

Anyone who thinks Stannis is some kind of heroic figure has been spending to much time on Reddit. He's so consumed with his lust for the power of the Iron Throne that he will sacrifice literally anything to achieve it. He's also an immensely proud man, much to his detriment. You get the feeling that he'd rather die in battle or besieging Winterfell than freezing or starving to death in the middle of nowhere.

What Doran is getting out of sending Myrcella and Trystane to Kings Landing is not getting Dorne crushed in a war. He evidently cares greatly for his people, so sending away his son (and into a position of influence and power) is a small sacrifice to make to save potentially thousands of innocent lives. Doran may actually be the only truly wholesome character in the series.

I'll agree with you on Ellaria though. I don't really get what she is so pissed off about (outside of obviously being a tempestuous woman who lost the love of her life). Oberyn volunteered to fight, he knew the risks and he lost, fair and square. The only explanation I can come up with is that she hates the Lannisters because if they weren't all so fucked up or ordered the murder of Elia, Oberyn would have never been in that position.

Uhhh.....Jon Snow?

• Like 1

Okay I feel a bit calmer towards it now. Book goggles aren't helping for this episode.

I think Reddit has probably jaded me a little. Stannis' decisions just seemed more reasoned in the books, it shows more confliction that I understand we don't get in the show, but it wouldn't have taken much to have Melisandre walk into the tent after he'd sent Davos away and given them a short scene bringing the idea back up.

Again, with Doran, I think I'm looking through the window the wrong way. I completely understand why he's doing it, I just don't see it ending well. Trystane isn't Oberyn, he doesn't have the same presence about him and I don't see him being taken as seriously in that court as it is right now. Given the reception we've seen Tommen get from the people of King's Landing (in the scene where he's denied entry to the Sept) I see Myrcella getting the same sort of reception, Trystane will make a mistake because of it and the alliance will fall apart anyway. But who knows, he may end up being the perfect diplomat, everyone likes him and I'm completely wrong again :P

But Ellaria sucks, and I stand by that. Missing Character spoiler:

We should have been given Arianne, who these actions would have made sense for.

Uhhh.....Jon Snow?

An oathbreaker? I mean, if you're going to break an oath, you might as well do it with a fox like Ygritte, but an oathbreaker nonetheless. :P

When I was watching and that guy was talking about coming back and learning to read from her I was thinking oh man something is going to happen to that poor guy. Then I remembered that Maxx already told me what was going to happen and buried my head in my pillow until it was over.

Man fuck that guy. I can't cheer for Ramsey but it would be kinda cool if guy who can't read came back and fucked some shit up.

The ending was really awesome but like everyone else I was like wait you left your peeps behind!

• Like 1

Okay I feel a bit calmer towards it now. Book goggles aren't helping for this episode.

I think Reddit has probably jaded me a little. Stannis' decisions just seemed more reasoned in the books, it shows more confliction that I understand we don't get in the show, but it wouldn't have taken much to have Melisandre walk into the tent after he'd sent Davos away and given them a short scene bringing the idea back up.

He'd already committed to it by that point, though because that was the whole point of sending Davos away. He knew Davos would object so he got him out there. Hell, even Davos clearly knew what was up by saying goodbye and giving her that toy.

And you can clearly see the conflict in his eyes as its happening. He's clearly troubled with the fact that he's doing it but thinks he's doing it for the greater good because Milsandre keeps telling him it is.

And showing him as a "saint" (which still doesn't negate his previous character development anyways) was in order to add weight to this decision because if he'd been presented as an asshole then it's just another asshole doing another asshole thing. By shading the character in a positive way, the negative turns are that more effective.