House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

About what Whisper posted

That seems to be a really stupid theory. I mean judging from the Tywinn I got to know on the show I wouldn't put it beyond his wife to seek love elsewhere as he is a very cold, calculating man but I don't know if he always was like that or if the death of his wife made him bitter. But either way I think if there was any doubt about Tyrion being his legitimate son on Tywinn's mind Tyrion would've died a long time ago. No way that he would let the bastard that "killed" his wife during labour live.

Edited by Hellraiser

Yeah, but it isn't an actual book spoiler, as you said :P from what I remember the show covered that pretty well, too.

Yeah, but until that point I hadn't even considered that Tyrion wasn't Tywin's son. If it turns out he's not, I'm gonna be annoyed that the idea was planted on me. At least with the Jon Snow stuff I came to that conclusion myself.

I feel a little like I was robbed of enjoying that episode as much as I could have, thanks to social media. As soon as it went off air tons of people on my timeline we're going OH MY GOD [jerking off motion goes here] and hyping it like crazy, so that when I did watch it.. It fell flat. Don't get me wrong, it was a good episode, but..

I 100% agree with this.

Happened with the Red Wedding episode. Heard so much about how it's the best 60 minutes of TV I'll ever watch, so I was sat patiently waiting for 50.

Nothing will ever come close to 60 minutes of perfect television as that third to last Breaking Bad episode.

Even so, it was one of the better episodes they've done. But definitely not as worthy as all the hype I'd heard.

• Like 1

People moan about social media and what not ruining things.

It's their corner of the world too... They should be allowed to talk about it, if you want to remain spoiler free, stay off the internet or mute people who may post these things.

I didn't want to know the results of Owens vs Cena from Sunday, so I didn't go on the internet til I could watch it.

It's so much social media in a sense, but people I know who'd already watched it saying it was the best episode of TV they'd ever seen.

I know everyone has different tastes and all that, but some people can go a bit overboard.

A bit like Liverpool and Steven Gerrard......

With all that said, I'm really wondering what sort of shocks they have up their sleeve for the final episodes after this.

Why can't it be someone's best TV episode ever? I already think this is probably the best GoT episode since season 1, I can definitely see people having this as their best ever.

I don't think anybody's actually saying that it can't be, just that maybe wait at least 48 hours before claiming such a thing?

Seriously though, it's a great episode and very well could be the best, but I don't know why you'd be surprised to learn that the hype got to some people.

I wish people would stop caring so much about what other people think about it. It's fun to discuss the show and what happened in it, but does anyone really give a flying fizzle if someone ranks it as the best episode they've ever seen or not? I've never gotten why that kind of crap irritates people. Who cares? If you liked it, you liked it. If you loved it, you loved it. If you were underwhelmed, you were underwhelmed. People that didn't get as much enjoyment out of it doesn't dampen the fact that I thought it was an amazing episode.

• Like 4

I popped hard when the white walkers showed up. For most of this season I've been patiently waiting for the shit to hit the fan and when it finally did they delivered. The best part, by far, was Jon Snow blocking the strike with his sword and it not breaking. Can anyone clue me in on what the sword is supposed to be, obviously it's special, but without spoiling anything? If not please don't say anything. I'd prefer to be surprised.

I popped hard when the white walkers showed up. For most of this season I've been patiently waiting for the shit to hit the fan and when it finally did they delivered. The best part, by far, was Jon Snow blocking the strike with his sword and it not breaking. Can anyone clue me in on what the sword is supposed to be, obviously it's special, but without spoiling anything? If not please don't say anything. I'd prefer to be surprised.

Various pre season 5 spoilers...

It's the sword he was given by Lord Commander Mormont and I believe they said it was made of Valyrian steel, which is incredibly rare.

Ned's was made of the same I think, but Tywin melted it down and created two swords. One for Jamie and one for Joffrey.

Jamie gave his to Brienne. Can't remember what happened to Joffrey's - does Tommen have it now?

I think that's all we know about the sword. I'm sure a bigger nerd will correct me if I'm wrong or have missed anything!

• Like 1

Various pre season 5 spoilers...

It's the sword he was given by Lord Commander Mormont and I believe they said it was made of Valyrian steel, which is incredibly rare.

Ned's was made of the same I think, but Tywin melted it down and created two swords. One for Jamie and one for Joffrey.

Jamie gave his to Brienne. Can't remember what happened to Joffrey's - does Tommen have it now?

I think that's all we know about the sword. I'm sure a bigger nerd will correct me if I'm wrong or have missed anything!

That's all correct as far as I can see. Ned's greatsword Ice was indeed Valyrian Steel, and Tywin melted it down to make two swords in the episode funnily enough titled 'Two Swords'.

He gave one to Jaime which was given to Brienne, called Oathkeeper. Joffrey took the other, Widow's Wail, which is now held by Tommen.

There's probably a dozen others I could name off the top of my head, but since I don't know how relevant they may be for future plotlines, especially with the new information that they can slay White Walkers, I won't say who has them.

• Like 1

There's a couple of similar swords knocking about.

Oathkeeper - Brienne

Widow's Wail - Tommen

Heartsbane - Randal Tarly (Sam's dad) - as yet unseen

Dark Sister - Bryden Rivers (The old dude Bran discovered) - as yet unseen

Baelish's dagger is Valyrian Steel too. Stannis' Lightbringer is supposedly Valryian but might actually be a fake.

And a few others mentioned in the books belonging to characters that haven't been introduced.