House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

Stannis is the Walter White of the Game of Thrones universe. He will have little arcs of redemption, he will do some good, but ultimately he's not a good guy, and only appears to be that way when you ignore large parts of his past. I'd prefer he'd done something besides child burning, but this is the path I'd rather see him going down because its more true to the character. He's still fully into all of Melisandre's shit, which is some bad juju, I'd have hated to see him be presented as a hero and all of that just pushed to the side. Its character defining stuff.

Davos, we have to cook.

:shifty:

• Like 1

Yo, have we talked about the Greek myth that the Stannis plotline takes a LOT of inspiration from yet? I haven't read all the spoilers because, y'know, 30 posts worth of spoiler cuts.

I'm not well versed in Greek mythology.

Also,

I thought for sure Davos would just straight up disobey Stannis and take Shireen with him, but instead he's like "ahhhh ooooer here's a toy ahhh, thanks for teaching me to read". I'd think if there's one thing that would get the Hand of the King to commit treason, it'd be saving a child from child murder.

Also man Dorne has been a bit shit this season. It seemed like it was meant to be a big deal, but it's basically amounted to "Jaime and Bronn ride in, they try to kidnap Myrcella, Doran lets them go and lets them take Myrcella and Trystane back with him". The expert review on the AVClub said something about how Dorne's really lacking in characterization, and I tend to agree with that. It's a bit bland.

Okay. So.

The Stannis thing is basically the story of Iphigenia, which was part of the greater story of the Trojan War. Basically, it's about a Greek king named Agamemnon who was heading up the army who were going to go to lay siege to Troy, but to get there he needed to cross the sea and the wind was always so harsh that his fleet couldn't even set sail. Eventually he learned that the reason why the wind was always going against him was because he'd pissed off the goddess Artemis (usually the reason given was because he'd killed a sacred stag,

COUGHRENLYCOUGH), and was told that in order to appease her he would need to sacrifice his daughter, Iphigenia. Ultimately, he goes through with it; usually he's depicted as wrestling with the decision, I think, but he's the king and he has his entire army there riled up to go to war so they can get Helen of Troy back and so on. And, boom, the winds die down and they can go to war.

fun fact: after the war ends, Agamemnon goes home with a Trojan princess with the power of prophecy as his mistress, and his wife kills them both. Have fun with that, Stannis.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I like the decision they made while at the same time hating watching those scenes and thinking the overall tone of the season really hurt its effectiveness. The viewers have already been put through a lot of misery to have this happen in such a straightforward way.

• Like 8

Fuck Stannis and fuck Melissandre, fuck every god damned solider who stood there and watched whilst a little girl burned. Vile human beings.

Fictional characters, not real people and

Its not the first time they've all stood around and watched someone burned at the stake, Stannis did the same thing a few seasons ago

• Like 1

Fuck Stannis and fuck Melissandre, fuck every god damned solider who stood there and watched whilst a little girl burned. Vile human beings.

Its not the first time they've all stood around and watched someone burned at the stake, Stannis did the same thing a few seasons ago

It's how we were introduced to him no less.

Not sure the unspoilered part was necessary was it? That's just as bad as people who say "You know wrestling isn't real dude!"

• Like 3

it's a little condescending, yeah. You're allowed to have strong feelings about fictional characters. It means the fictional characters are effective.

• Like 4

Well for me, I don't classify them as human beings, because they are fictional constructs. Didn't mean to come off as condescending, more like "hey, relax a little"

Anyone who thinks Stannis is some kind of heroic figure has been spending to much time on Reddit. He's so consumed with his lust for the power of the Iron Throne that he will sacrifice literally anything to achieve it. He's also an immensely proud man, much to his detriment. You get the feeling that he'd rather die in battle or besieging Winterfell than freezing or starving to death in the middle of nowhere.

What Doran is getting out of sending Myrcella and Trystane to Kings Landing is not getting Dorne crushed in a war. He evidently cares greatly for his people, so sending away his son (and into a position of influence and power) is a small sacrifice to make to save potentially thousands of innocent lives. Doran may actually be the only truly wholesome character in the series.

I'll agree with you on Ellaria though. I don't really get what she is so pissed off about (outside of obviously being a tempestuous woman who lost the love of her life). Oberyn volunteered to fight, he knew the risks and he lost, fair and square. The only explanation I can come up with is that she hates the Lannisters because if they weren't all so fucked up or ordered the murder of Elia, Oberyn would have never been in that position.

Uhhh.....Jon Snow?

Shouldn't Davos be added to that list? Maybe Ned as well?

Also I can't fucking wait for Trant's death :w00t:

Latest episode;

So now that Drogon is whipped, does he help Dany bring the other two in line and we finally get her going somewhere? Pretty please?

That said - that ending was awesome, and Dany just fucking off was hilarious. I like that Jorah is around for at least one more episode. His fight scene was really well done.

I've never liked Stannis and I now feel justified in disliking him when everyone seemed to like him. Prick.

Also, Davos is one of my favourite characters. I hope he survives for a while, he'd be a good man for Jon Snow to have alongside him.

Anyone who thinks Stannis is some kind of heroic figure has been spending to much time on Reddit. He's so consumed with his lust for the power of the Iron Throne that he will sacrifice literally anything to achieve it. He's also an immensely proud man, much to his detriment. You get the feeling that he'd rather die in battle or besieging Winterfell than freezing or starving to death in the middle of nowhere.

What Doran is getting out of sending Myrcella and Trystane to Kings Landing is not getting Dorne crushed in a war. He evidently cares greatly for his people, so sending away his son (and into a position of influence and power) is a small sacrifice to make to save potentially thousands of innocent lives. Doran may actually be the only truly wholesome character in the series.

I'll agree with you on Ellaria though. I don't really get what she is so pissed off about (outside of obviously being a tempestuous woman who lost the love of her life). Oberyn volunteered to fight, he knew the risks and he lost, fair and square. The only explanation I can come up with is that she hates the Lannisters because if they weren't all so fucked up or ordered the murder of Elia, Oberyn would have never been in that position.

Fuck that noise. Doran has a plan. This isn't entirely about peace for him. No way.

• Like 1