House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

The only thing I don’t like about the show is Strong Belwas, Victarion Greyjoy and Wyman Manderly aren’t in it.

Technically Manderly is but he was just some one line lord who got sassed by Lyanna Mormont so he isn’t even the same badass lunatic who is so ridiculously loyal to the Starks and giving the most badass speech in the books. 

If you haven’t read the books, basically the entire Arya plot line of killing Frey’s and making pies out of them to feed to other Frey’s, and “The North Remembers” line are both Manderly.

I'm looking forward to the new episodes, but it's mainly because I want to see what happens in the end, rather than because I'm expecting great drama. I've really enjoyed the series so far and would consider it one of my favourite fictional stories ever, in both its literary and on-screen formats. At this stage, though, it's drifting further into "not for me" territory.

I think the biggest thing I liked about the series was the fact that there were good, bad and middling characters on all sides. I still consider "Blackwater" to be the high point of the series because, on the one hand, you wanted Davos and his son to triumph, but you didn't want Melisandre to turn the realm into a cesspit of religious zealotry. You also wanted Joffrey and Cersei to lose, but that would also mean that Tyrion and Sansa would suffer or possibly die. That was a dynamic that was replicated on a lesser scale with the wagon train battle in Series 7, with Daenerys and Tyrion on one side and Jaime, Bronn and Dickon on the other. Those conflicts of viewer interest were what brought the action sequences to life and made me want to rewatch them.

My problem now is that that dynamic has been slowly falling away. "Battle of the Bastards" was cinematically impressive and had a great moment of catharsis at the end, but it was a straight "good versus evil" showdown. I'm not saying that that's inherently awful because I enjoyed it on first viewing, but I haven't felt any great urge to watch the battle itself again. With the White Walkers, it's worse because, again, the battle of the living and the dead is your typical "light and dark" encounter, but the White Walkers have no discernible personality. In the case of Ramsay Bolton, he at least had the overblown evil bastard factor that made his death satisfying, but the army of the dead has nothing interesting going for it, in my opinion. Maybe Series 8 will shed a bit more light on the White Walkers' aims beyond "kill everyone", so I won't dismiss it completely yet.

That sounds as if I hate the show, which isn't true at all. There are still a few loose ends that I'm intrigued to see tied up, and I'm still invested in the outcomes of most of the characters. I'll probably end up watching it in the early hours of the morning to avoid spoilers, so there must still be something going for it.

• Like 1

I want Cersei to get the most painful death of anyone killed so far on the show. Perferrably with Arya being the one who kills her, and Jamie standing by and doing absolutely nothing to stop it, because he finds out Cersei is lying about being pregnant. Hopefully Cersei's death being an execution, not an assassination. 

Also, I do not see how Jamie can end the story alive. He's clearly a traitor, for knowingly letting his two sons take the throne under false circumstances. And there's no more need for the Night's Watch, so he can't take the black to escape punishment.

The people who are really going to be screwed? The Meisters at the Citadel. Once Samwell tells that they took their time deliberating rather than helping and he had to flee with the book because they sat on their asses, they might as well be prepared to be relocated north of where the Wall was. Samwell will be the Royal Meister if he survives. They might as well be the village idiots.

My main concern from season 7? Who will look after the whores, now that Littlefinger is dead? WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE WHORES?!

Edited by GhostMachine

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

The people who are really going to be screwed? The Meisters at the Citadel. Once Samwell tells that they took their time deliberating rather than helping and he had to flee with the book because they sat on their asses, they might as well be prepared to be relocated north of where the Wall was. Samwell will be the Royal Meister if he survives. They might as well be the village idiots.

I'd love a scene like the one in The Terminator at the police station, only with the maesters in Oldtown. Have them all laughing about the very idea of ice zombies, only for the Night King to smash through the front door on Viserion and systematically take them out as they cower.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd love a scene like the one in The Terminator at the police station, only with the maesters in Oldtown. Have them all laughing about the very idea of ice zombies, only for the Night King to smash through the front door on Viserion and systematically take them out as they cower.

Absolutely no way the army of the dead will get as far as the reach though, you only have Dorne south of there, if it’s gotten that far, it’s all over.

More Game of Thrones Season 1 thoughts (finished it and started Season 2).

- It's still wild that when the show starts you think Eddard, Robert, Drogo and Viserys are all going to be major players and none of them make it passed season 1.

- The slaughtering of the Stark men is pretty brutal looking at it again, especially killing Septa Mordane.

- I still refuse to even remotely accept the notion that Syrio Forel is dead

- I kind of see why there is a theory that Bronn's last name is actually Reyne.  When he meets Tywin and finishes "Bronn, son of..." with "you've never heard of him" and Tywin stares at him like he sort of recognizes him.  I still don't like the idea that Bronn is secretly plotting something, but I wouldn't be opposed to it being revealed his is Bronn Reyne and he is just a sellsword looking for his own castle and nothing more nefarious.

- I don't really like the change in the show to Drogo's death.  In the show Dany tries to get the Dothraki to stop rapping women and it leads to Mago getting mad and fighting Drogo, wounding him.  In the books its just Drogo's Khal fighting another Khal and he gets the wound the same way, the only real difference is he didn't directly get in the fight because of Dany.

- Two scenes I love, one is Barristan's firing where people make jokes but as soon as he draws his sword the entire Red Keep collectively shits their pants because they know he could probably kill a lot of them if he wanted to.  In the books the mention the Lannisters went to kill him on his way out of the city but even without a sword he killed them all with no issue.  The other is Maester Aemon's speech to Jon where he reveals who he is, its some powerful stuff.

- I always likes the character Qhorin Halfhand but something really stood out to me this time.  Qhorin was one of the most feared men in the Night's Watch because of his skill with a sword.  He lost half his sword hand to a Wildling Axe, but learned how to fight with his left hand and became an even better fighter.  It seems like just a cool backstory until you realize Jamie Lannister was one of the most feared men in Westeros because of his skill with a sword.  He lost his hand to the Brave Companions, and is learning how to fight with his left hand.  It's almost as if GRRM was telling us that Jamie might actually become an even better fighter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...